Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/17/2015 9:20:41 AM EDT
M&P 22 Compact or Ruger 22/45 Lite?  I really like the safety on the M&P but I also like the proven design of the Ruger.  I have children I will be teaching how to shoot in a few years and my wife is 4'8".
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 9:25:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Get both?
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 9:26:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
M&P 22 Compact or Ruger 22/45 Lite?  I really like the safety on the M&P but I also like the proven design of the Ruger.  I have children I will be teaching how to shoot in a few years and my wife is 4'8".
View Quote

I have a 22/45, mine was odd in that it patterned more than grouped out of the box, but after about 100 rounds it cleared up so I'm guessing a burr in the bore or something. It only ever chocked on Remington thunder (which admittedly is not common, one every 3 or 4 mags maybe?). But apparently that's a known "bad ammo" for them. It's super lightweight, my 11 year old niece can hold mine just fine without getting tired.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 9:50:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's a tough decision - I have both and both feel nice in my hand but I have more time on my 22/45 Lite:

Pros of the M&P are that it looks and functions like a real centerfire handgun, so manual of arms will be more familiar.
Pros of the Ruger 22/45 Lite include not have to mess with thread adapters that need to be removed when breaking the gun down for cleaning.

I feel the 22/45 needs some work right out of the box to make it enjoyable to shoot. These include:
1) Volquartsen target sear (REALLY improves the trigger)
2) Sam Lam or other bushing to remove the mag safety
3) Kanewolf sling shot mod
4) Bruce Patza / TK LCI delete (not really necessary, but it cleans up the look)

The 22/45 Lite will give you more sight options as well. You can easily mount a red dot on the 22/45 Lite.

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 9:54:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I have 12 Ruger MK-II pistols, (I'm trying to stop - really!) and usually think it's the best option. Like the 10/22, the Mark series pistols has very strong aftermarket support.

That said, I think you need to take your wife to the LGS, and have her hold and manipulate both. The S&W M&P 22 Compact is a very good gun, and many people with smaller hands prefer it.

Get the one she feels best about - add ammo - enjoy.

Bob S.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 10:02:06 AM EDT
[#5]
M&P22 compact hands down. Same ergonomics as the full size just scaled down. My wife loves hers with a spectre 2. I like how it has the same look of a regular pistol. Don't like the space gun look of most 22s.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 11:04:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Another suggestion would be the Sig P938 .22LR with the threaded bull barrel.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 11:14:52 AM EDT
[#7]
MP22 compact, you'll be much happier.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 1:14:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I am a sucker for .22....Have them both as well as a Walther P22 and newer P22q. As I, wife loves to shoot all of them as well and suppressed is the bees knees.
Have had no issues with pistol grip size and when we go shoot she is pretty content shooting them all while I shoot larger guns.
Last night I spent some time looking on GB and larger box stores for another Lite as there have been some pretty good deals/sales lately. Can't go wrong with either.

Edit - Looks like Palmetto has the MP on sale for 269.99.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#9]
The PPK/S is pretty small.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 1:29:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I am a sucker for .22.

Same here.

If you can catch them on a free-shipping weekend or holiday sale, it becomes an awesome deal.
View Quote

Get 'em all - the more the merrier!

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 2:26:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I have trigger time on the 22/45 lite and a full size M&P22 (and a gsg1911 and buckmark but you didn't ask)
If the M&P22 compact is an option, it might be best for small hands. I have smaller hands as well and the 22/45 with magpul grips feels great to me
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 3:34:15 PM EDT
[#12]
My kids shoot my SR22 with the small grips.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 3:41:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have 12 Ruger MK-II pistols, (I'm trying to stop - really!) and usually think it's the best option. Like the 10/22, the Mark series pistols has very strong aftermarket support.

That said, I think you need to take your wife to the LGS, and have her hold and manipulate both. The S&W M&P 22 Compact is a very good gun, and many people with smaller hands prefer it.

Get the one she feels best about - add ammo - enjoy.

Bob S.
View Quote

My vote is for the Ruger (full disclosure I fear i might one day wake up a full blown ruger fan boy)....but agreed, best to let her handle some since they are all different.

My friend has the SR22 and she loves it, while I own a Walther P22 for any small handers who go shooting with me (mostly women, but a beta male every now and then).
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 3:43:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

DAMN.  Wish I had the scratch.  My fun money doesn't come in until the end of the month.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

DAMN.  Wish I had the scratch.  My fun money doesn't come in until the end of the month.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's their "normal" price. I ordered mine on 5/25 and it was $269.99 with free shipping during the Memorial Day sale.

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 6:08:02 PM EDT
[#16]
The ruger is sweet no doubt, especially with paclite upper and VQ guts, but it's a thoroughbred where the MP is a mule.
The thing just eats and eats, trigger is fine out of the box, operates like a real pistol and maintenance is about as low as
your going to find on any rimfire, I'm up to about 2500rds without any new lube or cleaning and nary a hiccup with anything
I could find to stuff in the mags, just waiting on my element 2 to arrive and a crimson trace railmaster in green to complete
this sweet little package.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 6:10:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Fo'ing on the M&P at the end of the month when my VA fun money rolls in.  $270 is too good to pass up.  I figure I'll order the SiCo thread adaptor from Exile.  Awesome thread, fellas.  I hope to get a Ruger for myself sooner or later but my gun loving wife hasn't shot in years and a suppressed  M&P Compact 22 in the backyard is just the ticket.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:37:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:50:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

FWIW...I like my Twin Tech adapter for the 22C. More useful wrench flats, and it's actually made to the SiCo o-rings specs, while the SiCo adapter is not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fo'ing on the M&P at the end of the month when my VA fun money rolls in.  $270 is too good to pass up.  I figure I'll order the SiCo thread adaptor from Exile.  Awesome thread, fellas.  I hope to get a Ruger for myself sooner or later but my gun loving wife hasn't shot in years and a suppressed  M&P Compact 22 in the backyard is just the ticket.

FWIW...I like my Twin Tech adapter for the 22C. More useful wrench flats, and it's actually made to the SiCo o-rings specs, while the SiCo adapter is not.

Cheaper as well!  Thanks for the heads up, man.  How does your 22C run?

http://www.twintechtactical.com/M-P-Comp-22.html
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 8:40:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Walther P22 has a super small grip - it feels like you're holding a toy.  Low price and a quiet host.

An M&P 22 would be hard to pass up at $269 though.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 8:54:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
M&P22 compact hands down. Same ergonomics as the full size just scaled down. My wife loves hers with a spectre 2. I like how it has the same look of a regular pistol. Don't like the space gun look of most 22s.
View Quote

Love my M&P Compact. P22Q and Jamsquito probably going away.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 9:37:47 PM EDT
[#22]
My wife has tiny hands. She handles and shoots my 22/45 with spectre ii just fine.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 9:39:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 9:49:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I hate Walter P22s after disassembling one and seeing the widespread cracked slide problem.  

WHY did S&W go with 3/8x24 threads on the 22C?
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 10:12:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I took a look at the Twin Tech adapter and comparing my factory threaded M&P22 Compact, the factory adapter actually has a taper as it comes to the shoulder:

The barrel is 0.469" in diameter and grows to 0.496" right behind the shoulder.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 11:00:32 PM EDT
[#26]
PSA is blowing out the old ones to make way for the suppressor ready version.

This is the one you need>  http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_840547_-1_773655_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 11:15:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This is the one you need>  http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_840547_-1_773655_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y
View Quote

I'm pretty sure the only difference is the "suppressor ready" version comes with the barrel adapter, whereas the regular does not. Both have threaded barrels.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 11:31:34 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote

They were both the same price.

Here was my order over Memorial Day weekend:

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 11:45:21 PM EDT
[#29]
It's still a wicked deal even if you buy the adaptor from S&W for 35 or 40 bucks your right at dealer cost of the suppressor ready version.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 8:37:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Ruger sr 22 with threaded barrel.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 8:39:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not a fan of Umarex stuff but thank you for the suggestion.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 8:40:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 8:42:10 AM EDT
[#33]
The suppressor ready versions are the same price of $270, with the thread adapter.  I have transfered in two for customer recently, and they love them.  No need to buy the adpater, spend it on ammo.

OOS right now, but i bet they get more in soon....

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/firearms/handguns/smith-wesson/m-p-22/s-w-pistol-mp22-compact-22lr-w-threaded-barrel-10199.html
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 9:09:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why those particular threads or why a thread adapter? My guess is that the slide would not accommodate a thick enough barrel that would provide a shoulder for the suppressor to seat against. It would probably work if you had a suppressor that indexed off the muzzle but I only know of one rimfire suppressor that does that.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 9:11:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Why those particular threads or why a thread adapter? My guess is that the slide would not accommodate a thick enough barrel that would provide a shoulder for the suppressor to seat against. It would probably work if you had a suppressor that indexed off the muzzle but I only know of one rimfire suppressor that does that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why those threads.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 9:14:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Why those threads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why those threads.

No idea why the thread pitch was chosen, but as far as the size - you would need something smaller than 1/2" for the thread adapter to thread onto.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 9:16:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't believe the SR22 is a Umarex design (the full size M&P22 and Walther P22 are).

For me, the design of the safety on the SR22 ruins an otherwise perfect little plinker.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 9:39:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I don't believe the SR22 is a Umarex design (the full size M&P22 and Walther P22 are).

For me, the design of the safety on the SR22 ruins an otherwise perfect little plinker.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Copy.  Man, the P22 is a dog.  I had one and sold it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 11:03:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j88/Engineer303/ammo_and_guns/PSA_MP22C_Order_zpsxvwpjfap.jpg

That's not fair. I had to pay $17 for shipping. I should have waited. I got mine like 3 months ago.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j88/Engineer303/ammo_and_guns/PSA_MP22C_Order_zpsxvwpjfap.jpg

That's not fair. I had to pay $17 for shipping. I should have waited. I got mine like 3 months ago.

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 1:36:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Why those threads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why those threads.

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 2:53:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why those threads.

I guess I don't understand what your hang up is with the intermediate thread pattern that S&W is using for their adapter. It's totally transparent to you as the end user. You're still presented with 1/2x28 at the end to attach your suppressor.

Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 3:10:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I guess I don't understand what your hang up is with the intermediate thread pattern that S&W is using for their adapter. It's totally transparent to you as the end user. You're still presented with 1/2x28 at the end to attach your suppressor.

Am I missing something?
View Quote

It's probably me.  Why do I even need a thread adapter?  Why not just 1/2x28?
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 3:19:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Am I missing something?

The barrel needs to be extended, which is what the adapter does. Keeps the gun nicer looking for those who dont want to use a suppressor.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 3:30:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Am I missing something?

Because you need to provide a shoulder for the suppressor to tighten against. AAC's thread spec calls out a minimum shoulder diameter of 0.550" and you'd probably want something bigger than the min. So if you made a barrel that thick, it probably wouldn't fit in the slide or at the least, require a big cutout in the slide.

If you used a suppressor that indexed off the muzzle, you wouldn't need the shoulder and S&W might have been able to get away with not having an adapter as the major diameter for 1/2x28 threading is .4970" - but most suppressors shoulder on the barrel behind the threads.

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 10:15:07 PM EDT
[#46]
My wife is 5ft 2in. She handles my 1911 and GSG1911 ( suppressed) absolutely fine. In fact, I had to keep it away from her so she wouldn't steal it away from me like she did my FNP9.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 7:08:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Because you need to provide a shoulder for the suppressor to tighten against. AAC's thread spec calls out a minimum shoulder diameter of 0.550" and you'd probably want something bigger than the min. So if you made a barrel that thick, it probably wouldn't fit in the slide or at the least, require a big cutout in the slide.

If you used a suppressor that indexed off the muzzle, you wouldn't need the shoulder and S&W might have been able to get away with not having an adapter as the major diameter for 1/2x28 threading is .4970" - but most suppressors shoulder on the barrel behind the threads.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Am I missing something?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 7:16:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My wife is 5ft 2in. She handles my 1911 and GSG1911 ( suppressed) absolutely fine. In fact, I had to keep it away from her so she wouldn't steal it away from me like she did my FNP9.
View Quote

Like I said, I plan to teach the children on this host as well.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 10:21:07 AM EDT
[#49]
I've got a 22/45 Lite and bought a P-22 for my son to shoot. I actually prefer the P-22 myself and it will outshoot the Ruger. My older MkII with Volquartsen trigger will outshoot both but I can't get the barrel threaded.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 11:38:01 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, didn't see that part. I had a p22. No complaints

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top