Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2001 7:56:13 AM EDT
What makes the green followers better than the black ones.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 8:04:45 AM EDT
[#1]
The obvious difference I have seen is that the green followers have longer "legs" on one side versus the shorter "legs" on the black followers. I am assuming this is the only difference, besides the color, of course. The green ones are supposed to feed better because of the it's design and help you avoid feeding problems with 30 round mags. I bought mine from Costa Arms from this ad www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=69118

This is the best price I found and I received them in a few days.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 8:05:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Because they are just sooo cute....

It's for better feeding especially of the last round and too keep from tipping bullet's nose down.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 8:08:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Would it be worth swapping perfectly good black ones for the green ones?
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 8:12:06 AM EDT
[#4]
biochem, Read the Mag Fac here at : www.biggerhammer.net for additional info on mags and all AR-15/M-16 facts.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 8:22:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Would it be worth swapping perfectly good black ones for the green ones?

Not really, except for maybe resale value if you wanna sell them later. I have about a 50/50 mix of follower colors in my mags and here is my experience:

I bought some used mags with green followers and they work flawlessly.

I bought some used mags with black followers and they worked flawlessly.

I bought some used mags with black followers and they jammed all the time so I swapped out the followers with green ones and they work just fine now.

So if you have mags with black followers but they work fine I'd say don't bother swapping followers. If the springs get worn out and you are planning on swapping them out then by all means change followers too. If you have some mags that start jamming up but don't appear to be damaged at all try changing followers and see what happens.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 12:11:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd like to get a few. the metal ones in the old colt 20rd mags jam up on me from time to time.

Where would you get the springs for a 20rd mag? would you just cut down a 30rd spring?

thanks
Chris
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 12:21:04 PM EDT
[#7]
The longer Green followers are supposed to help with the feeding of the 28-30th rounds or something like that!  I've never had a problem with the black ones, so until I do, I'll just use my black ones.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 12:24:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'd like to get a few. the metal ones in the old colt 20rd mags jam up on me from time to time.

Where would you get the springs for a 20rd mag? would you just cut down a 30rd spring?

thanks
Chris

Try Georgia Precision www.georgiaprecision.com. They have Wolf +10% springs for 20 and 30 round mags. They may have followers too. Look in the Magazines Equipment Exchange section for Green followers $1.25 each from CostaArms.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 1:07:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I have "HEARD" but do not know that the green-followers are more self-lubricating than the others and therefore feed more reliably.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 1:30:30 PM EDT
[#10]
If you can get them at a good price then get a few.  Change then whe you need to, not because [cliche mode]"everybody's doin' it" "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." [/cliche mode]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 1:35:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought some NIW Colt 30 rounders at a show recently, and the guy threw in a free green follower for each.  But, I haven't been able to compare the green to the black since I switched them out before I ever used them.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 1:45:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Once again I read something about the green followers that I just don't seem to understand.  What do you mean when you say that the green followers are 'self-lubricating'.  Is it something about their design, the material that they are constructed out of, or does the follower contain some type of lube?  Come on!  Let me in on the secret!

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 2:00:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Once again I read something about the green followers that I just don't seem to understand.  What do you mean when you say that the green followers are 'self-lubricating'.  Is it something about their design, the material that they are constructed out of, or does the follower contain some type of lube?  Come on!  Let me in on the secret!

Vulcan94

Vulcan, I tried to heavily qualify that post.
I've been told the material is at least somewhat self-lubricating.
Take that info as hear-say at best.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:56:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:01:59 PM EDT
[#15]
order the followers green from tapco. they are cheaper if you buy a 25 or more at .99 each.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top