Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2003 2:51:43 PM EDT
I just received a Mosin 91/30 rifle and there's something odd about the serial number.

On the receiver, bolt & floor plate there is a 3 digit number stamped, all matching. I would assume its the original serial number.
Then on the side Aztec lazer-etched a new serial number along with the caliber and their address info.

Why would they do that when there is obviously already an original serial number visible?

Gun is in excellent condition otherwise. Metal finish is 98% or better and wood looks great for a WWII relic. Shame they slopped so much laquer on it. Barrel looks great.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 2:59:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe the original serial was too short to meet BATF import regulations?  I think both the foreign-made guns I've bought have been stamped with the importer's name.  (EAA Witness, CZ-52)
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 6:31:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Another reason for this is if there are any Crylic characters that don't translate directly to English the importer will usually re-serialize the weapon.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 2:12:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm not sure why they'd stamp or etch a DIFFERENT serial number on the receiver.

I have noticed that many Mosin-Nagant rifles were originally serial numbered on the barrel just ahead of the receiver ring instead of on the receiver itself. That was OK for the kindly Czars and relaxed Soviets, but our brutal regime here demands marking the receiver itself. I have seen the receivers hand stamped with the original number off the barrel, and on one of mine they apparently didn't look too close and thought an 8 was a 3.

Perhaps to streamline their operation the importer gave up checking the receivers for numbers and trying to read the old numbers and just started marking every receiver with a new number whether it needed it or not.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 10:05:43 AM EDT
[#4]

I have noticed that many Mosin-Nagant rifles were originally serial numbered on the barrel just ahead of the receiver ring instead of on the receiver itself.

That's it. I just checked and sure enough the serial numbers are only on the barrel not the receiver so they were etched into the receiver.
I actually got 5 rifles & 3 of them were numbered on the barrel & receiver and they are ok. But, 2 of the rifles were only numbered on the barrel so they were renumbered.

Still don't believe they used new numbers though.

Thanks for the help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top