Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
9/16/2019 10:09:13 PM
Posted: 1/2/2012 5:47:43 PM EDT
At a bill apiece I couldn't pass it up. Three 1943's and one 1944.

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:11:50 PM EDT
Gotta love those Tula's
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:12:13 PM EDT
Nice, four snipers!
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:17:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By USN-Riverine:
Nice, four snipers!

And when I see the Tula ex snipers I usually don't find them with the scope serial number on them, unlike the Izhevsk, so I thought that was an added bonus.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:20:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:48:08 PM EDT
I like the way you think
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 9:11:44 PM EDT
Very, Very nice!

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:50:03 AM EDT
nice. Did you find them local or online? I have always wanted to get a sniper and re-sniper it but since i have one the repro snipers i just havent gotten around to it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:53:27 AM EDT
Originally Posted By grayparatrooper:
nice. Did you find them local or online? I have always wanted to get a sniper and re-sniper it but since i have one the repro snipers i just havent gotten around to it.

Initially I found them online, but the shop was only a couple hour drive away. I’m glad I made the trip. He had a lot more rifles in person than he did online. And even better yet, what he had online for $150 I was able to get for $99 apiece and do my own hand picking. Good luck with your project.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:10:02 PM EDT
learn me some knowledge here, how can you tell they are snipers? some mark on the reciever?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:28:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2012 12:31:30 PM EDT by SGL_Shooter]
Originally Posted By navvet89:
learn me some knowledge here, how can you tell they are snipers? some mark on the reciever?

Yes, the "CH" stamp denotes a sniper. Some have "CN" instead.

The CH is SP and the CN is SN in cyrillic.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:59:20 PM EDT
I only have 2. .

I think I need another 91/30 though. A beater that I can tinker with. Yup that's what I need.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:33:59 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SGL_Shooter:

Actually, "CH" is SN in cyrillic

"Cn" actually looks like this:

which is SP in cyrillc and was used on Tula snipers up to 1942.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:27:08 PM EDT

thank you, now I see the marks and know what to look for at the fun shop when I make my by bi-weekly browse. Are there "filled" PU mount holes in the receiver wall under the stock by chance?

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:08:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2012 7:12:06 PM EDT by AKJP]

thank you, now I see the marks and know what to look for at the fun shop when I make my by bi-weekly browse. Are there "filled" PU mount holes in the receiver wall under the stock by chance?

This will depend on what type of rifle it was. If a PU or PEM (long side rail), you'll be able to see the mount holes on the left side of the receiver, when you open the bolt. The welded area may be visible at the stock line on the outside, but I've seen some that were finished pretty smooth, afterwards. On the earlier PE (top mount) the scope base was attached to the forward receiver by three screws on each side. These can be harder to spot, since they usually didn't go all the way through the receiver and, again, some are polished pretty smooth on the outside and may only be visible in the right light. "And, why would that matter if it's "SN" marked?" you may ask. Well, because not all rifles that were so marked were drilled for a scope mount. A majority were but, for some reason, there were many that never got scopes/mounts, even though they received the proof marks.

ETA: Just to clarify, for those who may not be aware; these are Tula arsenal rifles we're talking about. Izhevsk snipers would not have these proof marks.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:50:58 AM EDT
Originally Posted By AKJP:
This will depend on what type of rifle it was. If a PU or PEM (long side rail), you'll be able to see the mount holes on the left side of the receiver, when you open the bolt. The welded area may be visible at the stock line on the outside, but I've seen some that were finished pretty smooth, afterwards. On the earlier PE (top mount) the scope base was attached to the forward receiver by three screws on each side. These can be harder to spot, since they usually didn't go all the way through the receiver and, again, some are polished pretty smooth on the outside and may only be visible in the right light. "And, why would that matter if it's "SN" marked?" you may ask. Well, because not all rifles that were so marked were drilled for a scope mount. A majority were but, for some reason, there were many that never got scopes/mounts, even though they received the proof marks.

ETA: Just to clarify, for those who may not be aware; these are Tula arsenal rifles we're talking about. Izhevsk snipers would not have these proof marks.

On the Izhevsk you would look for the scopes serial number on the left side of the barrel just in front of the receiver at the wood line, as well as the filled mounting holes.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:59:32 AM EDT
Buy them now, the golden age of Mosins won't last forever. Look at the M38's and M44's.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:12:36 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Scout_19Delta:

On the Izhevsk you would look for the scopes serial number on the left side of the barrel just in front of the receiver at the wood line, as well as the filled mounting holes.

True! Unless it was scrubbed, which is common, also.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:53:32 AM EDT

Actually, "CH" is SN in cyrillic

"Cn" actually looks like this:

which is SP in cyrillc and was used on Tula snipers up to 1942.

Learn something new everyday

Thanks

Top Top