Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2001 3:21:09 PM EDT
I have my concealed carry permit and can carry most places. But, I noticed at the recent gunshow (I'm in TN), they were checking weapons at the door, making sure they were unloaded, and putting a ZIP tie through the barrel. What is the point of this? It seems like most people at a gun show would believe in the 2nd amendment and this seems contrary to that. Do they think if a nut or criminal comes in there and is going to shot someone will check his firearm at the door?
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 4:16:51 PM EDT
[#1]
At each of the last three Great Western Gun Shows at the LA County Fair Grounds, I was present in a building where there was a negligent discharge of a loaded firearm being carried by some doofus who should have known better.  

In one case, the doofus owner was asked by a doofus vendor to see the weapon the doofus owner was carrying openly in a holster and offering for sale.  The doofus vendor took the .380 Walther PPK/S and, without clearing it, pointed it at his table and pulled the trigger.  The weapon discharged and the bullet passed through the table, hitting the doofus owner in the ankle.  While the owner sat and whined about the pain and leaked blood on the floor, the vendor told everyone in earshot that he didn't know the gun was loaded and it wasn't his fault.

The other ND's spilled no blood, but did some property damage despite the large crowds and negligent weapon handling.

Any questions?
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 4:31:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I can understand the unintentional discharge issue, but if people with a CCW (permit to carry) can carry their guns most other places and be trusted with the responsibility of carrying their gun, then why not at a gun show? I for one don't want anyone to even know I have my gun on me, so I'm not going to be waving it around at the gun show. I'll have to look into my local laws to see if their policy complies. The gunshow in my town is in a really crappy part of town, so it would be nice to not have to worry about unloading, etc. Walking to and from the gunshow with purchased guns/money is a good place to be robbed IMHO.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 4:39:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, Dave_G.  There are some real Dumb Asses at the gun shows.  (They're usually the guys that think they know everything too.)  I've overheard some pretty stupid conversations.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 5:05:24 PM EDT
[#4]
"At each of the last three Great Western Gun Shows at the LA County Fair Grounds, I was present in a building where there was a negligent discharge of a loaded firearm being carried by some doofus who should have known better. "

Dude, hopefully I won't piss many off, but its cause you live in dumbass LA.

For some reason the Smart and Clueless ratio is much higher in LA and other areas of Cali then the rest of the states.
Just thought I'd say it for ya since you have first hand experience.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 8:09:23 PM EDT
[#5]
There are dumbasses everywhere. At the last couple of big shows in Tulsa they had ADs. One poor guy got shot in the leg with a 10mm Glock some idiot loaded AFTER he entered the show.

Concealed carry is not allowed at gunshows because unlike in the general public, at gunshows guns are openly fondled and waved about.

Say some CC guy carries his pistol loaded into the show and sees the holster he has been looking all over for. He then proceeds to whip out his fully loaded weapon to see how it fits in the new holster. You can see where this is heading. Double the risk if it is a Glock.

Stuff like this would happen. No CC is better for everyone at the show. Just cuts down the idiot ratio.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 8:33:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I've carried at a gun show many times. It's a non-issue.

My pistol is concealed, it's there for an emergency, and it's the same as if I'm at the bank, or the store, or wherever.

Idiots who bring a concealed pistol with the intention of it being an object of conversation (Show and Tell) don't deserve the right of carry. This is the issue!

A concealed weapon is exactly that. If done correctly, nobody will know. That is the point of CCW.

Do I worry about others who might be carrying? No. Should you? I don't know.

But it's everybodys' business when a pistol is revealed to others at a gun show or it leaves the holster for any reason other than what it's there for, i.e. self-defense of innocent life.

I do believe in signs warning against carry, it doesn't mean I need to adhere to that advice though, and I don't think if I am a CCW permit holder and act responsibly it should apply to me either.

Link Posted: 11/21/2001 8:42:43 PM EDT
[#7]
This is a non issue at the show I attend. I check my concealed weapon at the door and they just slide the zip tie into the barrel. It isn't tied just slips in. I carry a magazine or two with me anyway. I can access the gun if nescassary in a reasonable amount of time. I guess they just feel better that way.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 9:18:13 PM EDT
[#8]
It has been my experience that those who think the rules apply to others for their safety, and do not apply to them because they are smarter than the average idiot are the ones with the highest rate of dumb ass accidents, and were the ones the rules are made for in the first place.

MS45,

The doofus vendor was from Arizona.  For your info, many of the vendors at those shows were from outside California, as far away as Pennsylvania.  Many of the buyers were from out of state, too.  It was one huge show!  

Also, I don't live in Los Angeles.  Since you seem to be geographically challenged, perhaps I should point out that the LA County Fairgrounds is in Pomona, east of Los Angeles.  And I live about 50 miles from LA.  Whenever I go there, I take two knives and at least one gun.  Oddly enough, I can carry the handgun concealed, but the knives must be exposed.  Go figure.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 10:21:23 PM EDT
[#9]
all us dumbass LA people arent allowed to carry concealed, so the whole "cant carry concealed at gun shows" doesnt affect us.
but you can still carry a pistol at the show, unloaded and not concealed.

if so many gun shows around the country dont allow there people to carry concealed then it must be the local dumbass's that cant be trusted.

ive been going to the great western for many years and have hit about all of them in the past ten years (while it was still running), and only seen one AD, which was outside, by a 22lr rifle which was pointed in a safe direction. i havent heard of the Other ADs that were mentioned here.

but i did hear about the 10mm AD at the Tulsa show recently by a local rent-a-cop, i guess dumbass's are in every state.

about 6 months ago the kalif DOJ busted some idiots from AZ for selling illegal chinese weapons, and these dumbass's had been told by numerous people (my friend included) that those weapons were illegal in kalif, but they kept selling anyway. i just sat back and laughed when the DOJ had them handcuffed and photographed in front of the entire show.
kalif doesnt breed as many dumbass's as you might think, they get IMPORTED here.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 10:43:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Dave_G,

Quote:
"It has been my experience that those who think the rules apply to others for their safety, and do not apply to them because they are smarter than the average idiot are the ones with the highest rate of dumb ass accidents, and were the ones the rules are made for in the first place."

It that was veiled reference to my post about a warning sign and my not adhering to THAT rule and you mean to say I'm an idiot,

You're wrong!!

I'm sure you find that you're OK.

You aren't alone.

Link Posted: 11/22/2001 3:22:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey punk,

Did you know that when a city or county posts a sign advising that the carrying of concealed weapons on city or county property is prohibited, then your CCW does not allow you to legally carry there?  

As for your question, I was only relating my first-hand experience.  I'm still batting 1.000 on that issue.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 6:09:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Great batting average there, Dave G.

Are you familiar with the Gun Show Enforcement and Security Act of 2000?

Batter up!

Another pissing contest, huh?
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 8:10:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Look at it this way-do you honestly think anyone is going to attempt to rob a gun show?
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 9:42:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Pissing contests are a violation of the Forum Code of Conduct.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 4:51:27 AM EDT
[#15]
The no loaded gun rule applied here in So. Fla. too. If I have to choose between my priviledge to carry concealed and the safety of others and myself from others, I'll gladly unload my G23, 22, 27, 30. If all the guns are empty, then we're all on the same field.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 1:00:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 1:31:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey Glockrules,

I don't know if you were at the last couple of gun shows but about 2-3 months ago a guy shot himself in the foot while at the show and everyone started pulling out pistols and everything. It was real scary. Everyone hit the ground and was pointing weapons at each other. I for one am a little more at ease knowing some of the idiots in this town are unarmed, at least for the time we are together at the gun show. Just my 2 cents.

-lee-
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 5:48:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I've seen a few "accidental discharges" at gun shows. The one that really stuck in my mind was at Ft. Wayne. There was this one gun dealer who was really crazy about H&Ks, and full auto stuff. He always had a good supply of them and he was really cocky about talking to the customers (My stuff good, your stuff bad mentality). Well, we were about 2 rows over talking to a dealer and heard the discharge. My brother and I did the old duck and cover routine and I swear you could drop a pin that place and hear it. We stood up and looked around for about aminute or two as there was still no noise. Everyone seemed to be loking at this particular dealer for some reason. Maybe it was the upraised H&K P13 that he was holding. Well, security finally came along and took the gentleman away. we finally made our way over there and had a discussion with the other dealer who told us that he had done some work on the particular pistol and his "buddy" had wanted to try the trigger out. Well, since he was a dealer, he didn't bother to "check his pistol" at the door. He left shortly after that to go and bail his buddy out. He never came back to the show after that and come to think of it, I haven't seen him around since. I still look up into the ceiling to see if I can see the 9mm hole.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 6:10:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I believe the ccw laws in my state, ND, do not allow cc at public gatherings. This includes, parades, church, court, and I would assume gun shows.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 7:03:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

"kalif doesnt breed as many dumbass's as you might think, they get IMPORTED here.

"

Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk!  I've noticed too that finding a Californian who was actually born or even just raised in California is a very rare thing these days.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top