Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2008 7:32:50 PM EST
This is an outstanding caliber, especially in AR platforms. An AR10 with a 18 or 20 inch barrel, with a good optic and 20 round magazines would make an outstanding SDMR.
Strangely, you hardly ever see or hear anything about these guns. If a .308 AR10 is good, than a .300 Winmag esque version has to be great....

Does anyone have one? Thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 9:34:28 PM EST
Limited ammo availability and variety would be my guess
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 4:33:34 AM EST

Originally Posted By Kymas23:
Limited ammo availability and variety would be my guess

Plus too many other 300 mags on the market. Nobody can keep them straight anymore, at least I can't. Short mags, ultra mags, just plain old regular mags.....
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 5:16:47 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/15/2008 5:23:10 AM EST by brasidas]
The RSAUM is slower than the 300 WSM in factory ammo (there is a slight difference given in the catalogs, but the actual difference is somewhat larger). If you handload, the RSAUM in quite a bit slower.

I think the real reason is that Winchester got to market sooner and had better marketing, and the fact that other rifle makers did not hesitate to support a new Winchester caliber (as Wincheser ammo and rifles are made by different companies, unlike Remington).

The Jamison mess could eventually hurt the popularity of the WSMs. Some manufacturers have quit chambering rifles in the WSM calibers (CZ, Ruger).
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 9:05:05 AM EST

Originally Posted By brasidas:
The Jamison mess could eventually hurt the popularity of the WSMs. Some manufacturers have quit chambering rifles in the WSM calibers (CZ, Ruger).

Could you elaborate on that? I havent heard about that.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 10:00:23 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/15/2008 10:01:27 AM EST by MudBug]

Originally Posted By SpacemanSpiff:

Some retarded gun mag writer (Jamison) wrote an article a long time ago surmising that a short, fat cased magnum round would be the cat's pajamas.

He later Sued Olin/Winchester and maybe Remington over the sheir short action magnums (WSM, WSSM, RSAUM) and won based on intelectual property laws.

Or something like that.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 10:18:34 AM EST
I have a M700 in .300rsaum and it really is a great rifle/caliber.

It's very accurate and knocks the HELL out of deer.

If more people had the guns there would probably be more/cheaper ammo available.

Personally, I think the fact that it's chambered in lighter(short actions, mountain rifle
and AR types) rifles and is a powerful load, people are scared of it.

It does kick pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 11:12:19 AM EST

Originally Posted By mjguillory:
I have a M700 in .300rsaum and it really is a great rifle/caliber.

It's very accurate and knocks the HELL out of deer.

If more people had the guns there would probably be more/cheaper ammo available.

Personally, I think the fact that it's chambered in lighter(short actions, mountain rifle
and AR types) rifles and is a powerful load, people are scared of it.

It does kick pretty good.

My 270 WSM is pretty mild compared to my brother's 300 WSM.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 11:26:19 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/15/2008 11:28:41 AM EST by SpacemanSpiff]

Originally Posted By MudBug:

Originally Posted By SpacemanSpiff:

Some retarded gun mag writer (Jamison) wrote an article a long time ago surmising that a short, fat cased magnum round would be the cat's pajamas.

He later Sued Olin/Winchester and maybe Remington over the sheir short action magnums (WSM, WSSM, RSAUM) and won based on intelectual property laws.

Or something like that.

ahh, what an asshole, I doubt that would hold up in court. The 300 short mag concept is too obvious to someone skilled in the art of cartridge design to be even remotely patentable in my opinion.

Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:01:04 PM EST

Originally Posted By Ryno_the_wyno:
Why isn't .300 RSAUM more popular?

Because you touch yourself and that makes God angry.

I'm not a fan of new cartridges. For me to like them they have to be at least 50 years old. .40 S&W is the only cartridge that "new" that I like. (Because it's the number one LEO cartridge)
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 5:10:28 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/16/2008 5:14:24 AM EST by brasidas]
I don't think Rick Jamison won in court, but apparently they reached some kind of out-of-court settlement where he gets royalties on each WSM gun and box of ammo. The company that made Winchester rifles was on its last legs when the deal was made, and it folded shortly thereafter.

Here is Jamison's patent: patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect2=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%%2FPTO%%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&d=PALL&RefSrch=yes&Query=PN%2F6354221.

Internet rumor indicates that Shooting Times let Jamison go after this stunt, and the rest of the industy will not have anything to do with him.

His articles, usually about reloading, were actually pretty good.

I've read that Remington was aware of the Jamison problem, and designed their cartridge such that they could not be a target.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:00:27 AM EST

I don't think Rick Jamison won in court, but apparently they reached some kind of out-of-court settlement where he gets royalties on each WSM gun and box of ammo. The company that made Winchester rifles was on its last legs when the deal was made, and it folded shortly thereafter.

Here is Jamison's patent: patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect2=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%%2FPTO%%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&d=PALL&RefSrch=yes&Query=PN%2F6354221.

Internet rumor indicates that Shooting Times let Jamison go after this stunt, and the rest of the industy will not have anything to do with him.

His articles, usually about reloading, were actually pretty good.

I've read that Remington was aware of the Jamison problem, and designed their cartridge such that they could not be a target.

What a jackass. Thats like patenting a gear ratio, it just isnt anything unique. He basically patented the length to diameter ratio of a rifle cartridge case. I would have fought him tooth and nail.

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:55:08 PM EST

Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:

Originally Posted By Ryno_the_wyno:
Why isn't .300 RSAUM more popular?

Because you touch yourself and that makes God angry.

I'm not a fan of new cartridges. For me to like them they have to be at least 50 years old. .40 S&W is the only cartridge that "new" that I like. (Because it's the number one LEO cartridge)

Hahahaha.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:36:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/16/2008 6:37:06 PM EST by Rabon]
The only reason the rsaum even exists is because the wsm will not fit in the Model 7, it is a dog.
Top Top