Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 2/14/2012 2:12:47 PM EDT
I don't see very many short-barreled shotguns advertised on the message boards or stocked at dealers. I would love an 870 with a 14 inch barrel but they seem scarce as hen's teeth. The few that I have come across on the net all seem to be police trade-ins. Oddly the AOW version with the pistol grip and no stock seems to be more available.

Seems to me that a short-barrel shotgun is a very practical weapon, so why do they seem so scarce?
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 2:20:04 PM EDT
$200 for SBS -v- $5 for AOW

Just my WAG
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 2:32:40 PM EDT
Folks who have them hang on to them.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 2:38:14 PM EDT
Just fill out a Form 1, wait an unknown amount of time, then make one.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 6:12:26 PM EDT
I just bought 6 of them from Long Mountain Outfitters. They are police trade-ins but are in decent shape. Price was right too. Got them for less than $300 shipped. Hell, the flashlight is worth $75.

http://www.longmountain.com/inventory/shortbarreledshotguns/httpwwwlongmountaincominventoryshortbarreleds­hotguns/?edit=1
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 11:06:38 PM EDT
You can get them, but you don't see too many 2nd hand because of the $200 transfer for them.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:10:15 AM EDT

low demand because once you spend money on one, you never want to do it again...

i've had two. they were both a complete waste of money. i'd build them, take them out shooting once, and then put them back in the safe forever.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 6:08:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By KaiK:
Just fill out a Form 1, wait an unknown amount of time, then make one.

this

I keep going back and forth on wanting one.
unless I see a ridiculous deal on one pop up in state (so only one transfer), I'll just make one when I decide to move forward on it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:24:50 AM EDT
So the consensus is that they're just not interesting or useful enough to justify the 200 dollar tax?

Personally I think a short shotgun is a very handy weapon indoors. An 18 inch barrel is kind of long to be swinging around corners. If the NFA didn't exist I think sub-18 inch barreled shotguns would be good sellers.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 2:11:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bigcbass:
I just bought 6 of them from Long Mountain Outfitters. They are police trade-ins but are in decent shape. Price was right too. Got them for less than $300 shipped. Hell, the flashlight is worth $75.

http://www.longmountain.com/inventory/shortbarreledshotguns/httpwwwlongmountaincominventoryshortbarreleds­hotguns/?edit=1

I guess you have to call to buy one?

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:19:52 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Steve_T_M:
So the consensus is that they're just not interesting or useful enough to justify the 200 dollar tax?

Personally I think a short shotgun is a very handy weapon indoors. An 18 inch barrel is kind of long to be swinging around corners. If the NFA didn't exist I think sub-18 inch barreled shotguns would be good sellers.

having had the chance to run around with 14.5" Benellis and then some 14" 870s i can say with 100% conviction that the 18" barrel is way too long. that said, the extremely limited capacity and size / weight of a shotgun doesn't trump a good 'ol SBR. we ended up keeping one short pump gun for door busting but that was about it.

IMHO if you're interested in a SBS look at a Saiga... get an extremely short gun and keep the capacity!
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:51:10 PM EDT

I'm sure they would be. For a truck gun they would be better, don't have so much barrel to clear before its ready to shoot pulling it out of a car. But I think the price for the base shotgun has alot to do with it. Its not so hard to pay $200 for an SBR that you have $1,000 in. But a mossberg 500 starts you at $299, and to put another $200 on top of that?
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 6:49:56 PM EDT
Yep just call and ask for Shannon. He is basically giving them away to get rid of them.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 6:53:43 PM EDT

No, it's just easy to Form 1 them.

I could buy a $125 870 from the pawn shop and spend $200 on a Form 1. Add $100 in furniture and I'd have a cool weapon.

For the small amount I'd have invested in it, there's no real reason to sell it, and even if I did, I'd be out the $200, which would be a huge percentage of the guns value.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 11:14:24 AM EDT
Not really sure either. I have a pawnshop 870 I am thinking of doing a F1 on and cutting it down. Even with the $200 stamp, its cheaper than buying a Serbu and I'd rather have a full stock anyway.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 1:28:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MP0117:

I could buy a $125 870 from the pawn shop and spend $200 on a Form 1. Add $100 in furniture and I'd have a cool weapon.

For the small amount I'd have invested in it, there's no real reason to sell it, and even if I did, I'd be out the $200, which would be a huge percentage of the guns value.

When you put it that way, an F1 SBS seems more logical than a AOW+$5 stamp - which can't be Form 1'ed and generally cost as much or more than your scenario. Especially if the new SBS furniture were a side-folding stock (also not posible on AOW).
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 2:15:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By CBR900:
Originally Posted By MP0117:

When you put it that way, an F1 SBS seems more logical than a AOW+$5 stamp - which can't be Form 1'ed and generally cost as much or more than your scenario. Especially if the new SBS furniture were a side-folding stock (also not posible on AOW).

You can F1 an AOW, it still costs $200 for it though.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:11:12 PM EDT

So thats where they all went. Last time I went in there they had a whole rack of them. Yesterday they had four. I figured I better get one before they were gone. Now they have three.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 1:28:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By eeeticket:

So thats where they all went. Last time I went in there they had a whole rack of them. Yesterday they had four. I figured I better get one before they were gone. Now they have three.

Thanks for the tip, I just ordered one of these police trade-ins.

This site is dangerous to my wallet.
Top Top