Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2002 9:20:42 AM EDT
PROS:

You can buy anything over 50 years old (or on the list) and have it delivered to your door.

Prices from the importer are much cheaper.

FFL discounts from Brownells.

It is a one page application.  The legwork consists of stuffing a copy under the LEO's window.  Mine was signed in 3 minutes.

It is as easy as buying a shotgun.

ATF doesn't inspect your premises as in a regular FFL.

CONS:

It costs 30 bucks - made up on Brownell's discounts.

You can't pass up the good deals that are now suddenly out there.

You have to keep a bound book, and destroy it when you give up your license.

Just a note:  If you don't have one because you don't want "them" to know who you are, you are kidding yourself.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 9:33:43 AM EDT
[#1]
pogo,
I agree that anyone who owns a papered firearm is already on a list of one kind or another, so why not indulge.

However, I don't understand your statement about having your app signed in 3 minutes.  C&R license does not require CLEO signoff--only that you supply a copy.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 9:39:34 AM EDT
[#2]
because im not good at keeping records... i dont even know how much i have in my checking account, only that there is not much
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 10:14:04 AM EDT
[#3]
MidwayUSA also gives you a discount.  Definately worth it if you buy anything from Brownells or Midway.

Link Posted: 2/23/2002 11:07:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Where do I get the forms?   I've heard of a C&R license, but don't know the first thing about getting one.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 11:12:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Because im not 21
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 11:20:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 11:21:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Good points.  Do they require fingerprints?  How do I get started?
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 11:27:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Actually, this www.milsurpshooter.net may have more useful C&R info.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I got mine years ago for the ammo deals at Century International Arms. Now I understand no FFL is needed to buy ammo from them, you just won’t get the discount prices a FFL can get it for.

CLEO signature is just that. You promise to mail a copy of the application to your CLEO for him/her to sign. This is an acknowledgement to your CLEO that you have applied for a C&R FFL.
If you mail it you won't know whether your CLEO signs it or not. It doesn't matter anyway. The BATF makes you promise that you will mail a copy to your CLEO and has no affect on your approval/disaproval.
The biggest con is your forfeiture of the 4th amendment. For me the way I see it is that it doesn't exist anyway. If they want you they will get you.
For those unfamiliar with the 4th here it is.

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Link Posted: 2/23/2002 2:28:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
CLEO signature is just that. You promise to mail a copy of the application to your CLEO for him/her to sign. This is an acknowledgement to your CLEO that you have applied for a C&R FFL.

The CLEO is not required to sign it.  In fact, you're not required to even ask him to sign it.  Most CLEOs just put them in the circular file.  The copy for the CLEO is "FYI" and nothing more. (Even the application form for the 03 FFL says this.)
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 2:40:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 2:52:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't have mine because the government works so slow. Mailed app. and check Dec.13, they cashed my check Dec.19, and now I'm still waiting.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 3:01:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Mine took about 3 months, but I messed up the paperwork the first time. I have already bought four pistols in January.

One big con, the expense of all the new guns & the new safes.

I think I will buy a set of rifles in March.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 3:09:51 PM EDT
[#14]
The only reason i could see getting one is for all the cool NFA toys that are listed under C&R.

thompsons, madsens, ar-18's stens and s&w model 76's and best of all the browning 50 cal M2 and M-60 fall under C&R

My state only allows mg's that are on the c&r list. But i am almost 100% sure my local cleo would deny my signoff request on a form 4 [>(]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 3:13:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Is there an actual list of what firearms are considered C&R, or it it a date that they have to be made prior to?
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 3:34:51 PM EDT
[#16]
You can see the list of C&R firearms on the ATFs website.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 8:26:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I forgot about the sig - I stopped by the state troopers office, he signed it and photocopied it, and I stuffed the app into an envelope and dropped it in the mail the same afternoon I got it.

My licence was a bit slow in arriving, but getting a C&R and dealing with ATF seemed like getting a licence for my dog.  All the JBTs' must have been raiding someone then.  

ATF will send you a C&R list with your application.

No fingerprints are required.

No flames intended, but constitutional rights as enumerated are ancient history.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top