Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2002 7:56:30 PM EDT
Why does the military use that brown tape on the butstocks and magazines of thier AR's??
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 9:01:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I once entered a competition where there were around ten CAR's that looked exactly like mine.  To distinguish mine from the others, I wrapped a piece of red duct tape around the fore end and the grip.

I did not win the competition, but I did give a very respectable performance.  Since then, I've wrapped a piece of red tape around the fore end for good luck.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 9:23:56 PM EDT
[#2]
On the buttstock, for re-inforcement. On the mag? <SHRUG>

Scott

Link Posted: 7/1/2002 12:11:47 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Why does the military use that brown tape on the butstocks and magazines of thier AR's??

The edge of the tape adds texture for better gripping of the magazine?
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 12:13:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I watched Blackhawk Down again tonight, and was wondering the same thing.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 2:18:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I first noticed it when watching Black Hawk Down, but then last night on the discovery channel they used it on thier rifles during BUD/S training----looks like im going to have to call up my Marine friends.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 4:13:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Dont' know. I put a piece of tape on the stocks of my shotguns because I have had other's accidentally take mine home. I took theirs - took weeks to track each other down and swap back!
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:19:37 AM EDT
[#7]
If I remember right, the buttstocks I saw taped up in Blackhawk Down looked like they were trying to convert a conventional sling into a makeshift tactical design...

And the only reason I can think of for taping a magazine is to differntiate between types of ammo...i.e. the taped one will have a tracer every 5 rounds or whatever...dunno.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:27:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Tape on buttstocks:  To hold on a "tactical sling adapter" that uses a stock GI sling for a top-sling.

Tape on magazine:  

To protect the mag when dropping it ?  

To make "mine" look different than others ?

I knew guys who put tape on their mags to
  help keep them from rattling in their mag
  pouches as well.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 6:31:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Usually guys in the field will tape everything to keep it from rattling and making noise. Ie: buckles, sling swivels, etc.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 6:40:21 PM EDT
[#10]
The tape is there to keep the mags from clicking together when you are on patrol. It also serves to keep you from inserting it upside down. A mag will go in easily upside down, but it is difficult to remove. Add that bit of stress to an unpleasant day when everyone seems to be shooting at you and you may wish you had put 100MPH tape around the bottoms of your mags.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 7:42:21 PM EDT
[#11]
The tape on the mags were to make expediant "magpulls". A short piece of paracord secured by the tape at the base of the mag. There are now a polymer "magpull" that serves to protect the mag when they are dropped from the weapon during competition, training, etc.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 8:07:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Tape on buttstocks is mostly people trying to  improvise a tactical setup. People gotta remember that BHD is about events that happened almost ten years ago, they didn't have all the ready made goodies they do now. As far as reinforcing the stock, an A2 buttstock is fairly tough, if you break it the tape ain't gonna do s#it.

The tape on mags is both for noise and along with some 550 to form a magpull. Although depending on your method, you don't need tape for the magpull setup. The tape and 550 setup is SOP for all mags im most units.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top