Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2002 7:55:44 PM EDT
It amazes me how I can have a gun(or 2) for every possible need, and still want to buy more. When does it stop!?!
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#1]
When you discover that GOLF is just as addictive and less expensive.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 8:02:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I golf too, I just suck at it! And lost balls do get expensive
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 8:14:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't explain it! I picked up another AR, PreBan, this past weekend, an SAR-1 in January and plan on buying another AR in a couple of weeks. Plus I've got a nice laptop up for trade in the EE that I've got a couple of trade offers for - I can't get enough guns, ammo, mags, and other cool gun related stuff!

I think it's like CRACK!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 8:30:04 PM EDT
[#4]
First thing you do is stop getting SGN. I look through it and want to buy something new every month.

So far this month, a new Glock, and a new SIG.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 8:58:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Guns are addictive because:

They give you a god-like ability to control objects far beyond the reach of your arms.

They are mechanical without being rusty and greasy.

They let you hold history in your hands, and remind you of your responsibilities.

They are the products of the highest level of creative genious, yet simple enough for almost anybody to understand.

They are art, and a summation of man's skill in mastering wood and metal.

They are a means of preserving freedom, and a symbol of government's trust in us.

They make a lot of noise.

Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:16:27 PM EDT
[#6]
becouse there fun to shoot
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:27:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Bad news or good news, depending on how you look at it.  I am in the market for another gun safe.  It is like a drug.  Can't stop.  Just make sure that you protect them (lock them up)!!
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 12:27:50 AM EDT
[#8]
What a great reply, Fuzzbean!!

Tate
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 2:01:56 AM EDT
[#9]
because the are so cool i want to crap my pants, and by cool i mean totally sweet.

www.realultimatepower.net
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 2:12:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Its genetic.......
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 2:44:09 AM EDT
[#11]
definatly gotta get a second safe.I always wanted to have them on some kind of pegboard like in Tremors. And how come the guns that you don`t have are always nicer than the ones you do?Until you buy it then its on to the next one
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 6:50:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 7:01:22 AM EDT
[#13]
It does'nt stop. I tried at 12 and then again at 19 and once more at 26. 27 will be here this week. Galil ARM. Plus the G3, FN, UZI, CETME by the end of the year. My 52 gun safe is not big enough. I guess if you put 52 10/22 in them you can get them to reach 52. I spent $1700 on it and looks like I will have to spend a little more on another safe next year.
Everybody have a good day
Steve
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 7:02:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Guns are addictive because
- they give you the ability to protect yourself and feed yourself
- they can be accessorized and endlessly tweaked
- they can be worked on in a garage with basic tools
- they represent the intersection of craftsmanship, history, and marksmanship.
- you can plink tin cans or compete in any number of tournaments with them
- there are engrossing spin-off hobbies associated with them: reloading, woodworking, metalworking, etc.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 7:03:45 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Hey! Golf and guns DO mix. And mix well. One guy uses a long iron (or wood) to place targets (golf balls) for the other. Compete to see if targets can be placed faster than they can be shot. 'Course you need a big, open field. Been there, done that, recommend it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 9:05:54 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Golf isn't really less expensive.

It can be if you go cheap, but in saying that, so can firearms.

$500-$2000 for a set of clubs, depending on quality.

Golf balls are like buck a ball.

Going to a crappy course will cost you $15-$30 dollars, and good ones are $70-$150.

Golf really isn't that cheap.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 9:41:09 AM EDT
[#17]
then if you become a member of the golf course its like 400 a month for the crappier ones and like 750-1000 a month for the good ones... so thats basically a new AR-15(750-1000 bucks) every month
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 9:46:42 AM EDT
[#18]
does anyone here try to justify buying guns? Like try to be practical about it to convince yourself you really need this or that, but really you just want another toy.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 10:01:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Fuzzbean: Great post!
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 10:05:40 AM EDT
[#20]
This never was a problem with me until I got a black rifle.

I'd take my Winchester .30-06 or Remington 6mm to the range, fire away, chat about rifles and be perfectly content with what I had.

But as I'm leaving the range the first day with that AR-180B I wasn't content. I thought "This is frigging awesome. I need more."
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Fuzzbean nailed it.

Golf and guns do go together, ever drive a golf ball with a .22?  Lotsa fun.

Collecting guns is no more addicting than collecting stupid shit, like teddy bears and Hummel figurines.  Hell, look at our womenz and their collection of shoes and useless clothes.  The difference is that guns are cool and actually worth collecting and the other stuff is stupid shit.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 11:21:57 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Collecting guns is no more addicting than collecting stupid shit, like teddy bears and Hummel figurines.  Hell, look at our womenz and their collection of shoes and useless clothes.  The difference is that guns are cool and actually worth collecting and the other stuff is stupid shit.

You said it! Man, I have hauled so much woman's clothes to Goodwill, it is incredible. Woman's clothes is so expensive, yet it only lasts about a year or two max, and it is considered rags. I have yet so far to lose money on firearms.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 11:30:06 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Guns are addictive because:

They give you a god-like ability to control objects far beyond the reach of your arms.

Yea, I kinda like that one there.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 12:36:14 PM EDT
[#24]
-Fun to shoot

- Appreciate the engineering behind them

- For a minimal investment, use have something that will last a lifetime. (Still don't know how one justifies 20+K on a vehicle. Instant depreciation.)

Link Posted: 5/1/2002 3:47:53 PM EDT
[#25]
OK, I was just pulling you guys' legs earlier.

The REAL reason guns are addictive is because the gol-durned government keeps trying to take them away. Back in the 1920's, before there were many gun laws, you were considered eccentric if you had more than 3 hunting rifles. Nowadays if you got 5 SKS's, 5 AK's, 5 Turkish Mausers, 3 AR's plus spare uppers, and 2000 rounds of ammo stashed for each gun, that's just plain common sense.

Except you really ought to get more while you still can.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 5:18:36 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
does anyone here try to justify buying guns? Like try to be practical about it to convince yourself you really need this or that, but really you just want another toy.

Yes, this past weekend at the gun show. I talked myself into spending 1500 bucks on a Preban AR. I already had a nice Bushmaster and an SAR-1, but I wanted a 2nd AR and it just HAD to be a Preban. Why? Does the flash suppressor and bayonet lug really make it any more lethal than a Post Ban that I could've got for 800? No. I had PRE-BAN ENVY of all you guys on here with multiple Prebans and screw practical, I had to have one too!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 5:31:13 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
OK, I was just pulling you guys' legs earlier.

The REAL reason guns are addictive is because the gol-durned government keeps trying to take them away. Back in the 1920's, before there were many gun laws, you were considered eccentric if you had more than 3 hunting rifles. Nowadays if you got 5 SKS's, 5 AK's, 5 Turkish Mausers, 3 AR's plus spare uppers, and 2000 rounds of ammo stashed for each gun, that's just plain common sense.

Except you really ought to get more while you still can.

I keep trying to tell my parents and my soon to be wife's parents the same thing, common sense is the reason for my maddness, but they don't seem to beleive me.

To be honest, guns really are not an investment.
Putting your money into tax differed (like house) items is the only way nowadays to have cash.  That or gangster rap.

But to me, firearms are cheap for how long they can last. Plus, I can be assured HK will still be in business to Warranty my USP, ya know?

I love weapons, so I can justify spending the money on them, plus they are liquid. You might lose a little on POSTANS, but you get a chunk of your money back, so DON'T SELL ANY OF YOUR WEAPONS.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#28]
They are addictive because Phillip Morris owns stock in all the gun companies.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:47:11 AM EDT
[#29]
did anybody post   "because they can be"?

Why does my dog........

fire away
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:01:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Uh, Fuzzbean for President.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:01:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Guns are addictive because they blow shit up
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:15:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Hi! I'm Grimshaw, and I'm a shootaholic! Since our last meeting I wasn't able to keep myself from guns. I touched them, and disassembled them, cleaned them, shot them, I bought one new one. I also spent a lot of time reading "Unintended Consequences" and a ballistics manual. i know you guys are all starting to lose respect for me, but I need a new "clean" date. start me over from about 2 hours ago.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:33:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Top 10 reasons guns are addictive:

1. It is human nature to want what you don't       have.

2. They are a means of self defense and a          practical item, like a tool, to have around     the house.

3. Because they can be so deadly, they provide a    sense of power to those that hold them.

4. Because you may not be able to buy them one     day, or at least in their current               configuration.

5. Because it feels natural and a duty as an       American citizen to bear arms, to be part of    a possibly needed citizen militia.  A cause     that is worth planning and preparing for.

6. Because you will not lose money         (generally)when you purchase firearms. They     tend to provide a decent return, better than    CDs; approaching Treasury bonds.

7. Because it is extremely challenging to          shoot accurately, and when you become         proficient at it, it provides immense         satisfaction. Additionally it is fun to shoot   objects that explode like milk jugs and   watermelons.

8. When you see a nice weapon at a gun store,      neuro impulses in the brain create an           overwhelming urge to purchase the item even     though you dont have the money and you are      going to have to hide from spouse or parents.
  Thus there is a human tendency to want one of    each even though you dont need one.  But you    justify it because of the perceived             investment quality, practicality,             pleasure to shoot, and pleasure just to own.

9. Because each gun is different and serves a different purpose.  For example shotguns, bolt guns, assault weapons, and pistols all serve a different purpose.  For each category there are different grades of quality. And then you have the military aspect and the whole historical collection thing.  

10.  Because they just go bang real loud.

Link Posted: 5/4/2002 7:49:10 AM EDT
[#34]
It's the cocaine they'be been putting in the gunpowder.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 3:10:54 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

GOLF backwards = FLOG.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 8:22:20 PM EDT
[#36]
 I was in the beginning stages of a firearms Addiction but I realized it in time to save myself.You just have to take control and only buy guns that you plan on shooting.
  And while some people may not be able to control the Addiction they can control the cost of shooting by going out immediately and buying a 9mm pistol ($11 for 100 rounds)and a 7.62X39 rifle($40 for 500 rounds)...by doing this you will probable save thousands of dollars within a couple of years.If you already have these calibers then you should get some more of the same because the more you buy the more you will save.It's simple mathematics...Buy Guns=Saving Money.Everyone wants to save money. (Another vote for FUZZBEAN For PRESIDENT)
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 6:21:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Guns are like drugs.

You start off with maybe a 10/22.  Smoking behind the high school.

Next, it's a couple of handguns.  Like beer at your friend's house when his parent's are gone.

Then, it's rifles.  AR, AK, SKS, anything with letters.  You've moved up to smoking reefer.

One day, it's your first your first Class 3.  That's like freebasing.  It just gets worse from there, as you build tolerance to lesser guns and need bigger and better guns to feed your habit.  You'll sell everything you own to get them.

For me, it's been a tough month.  1 S&W Model 76, one A/O Bridgeport M1A1 and a Maremount M60.

I have seen a 20mm Vulcan gun listed on subguns . . .

Link Posted: 5/5/2002 6:30:44 PM EDT
[#38]
LOUD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top