Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2015 6:15:51 PM EDT
Just curious. How many rounds down range until you noticed a drop off.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:23:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm sure someone else will chime in but it really depends. Barrel length, suppressor material, supers/subs, and many more factors.

I know OSS says 10k on one of their components. Others have form 1's with 20k on them and still completely fine. Not sure about the other major manufacturers but I'd say a really really long time if you go by their recommendations.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:26:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm sure someone else will chime in but it really depends. Barrel length, suppressor material, supers/subs, and many more factors.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya, I would say rate of fire and barrel length are pretty crucial factors in the time equation
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#3]
There's an old thread that was referenced recently about a Saker that has been torture tested. Thousands of rounds, 10-20k? Exterior looks like shit, they didn't have pics of the inside but was reported to still sound and lock up the same.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:52:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I know what is the expected life of a can. Just am curious if anybody had a can that actually shit the bed.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:24:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:37:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Then what's the point of inconel and Stellite baffles if your average ss or titanium are not prone to failure?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:45:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:20:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Then what's the point of inconel and Stellite baffles if your average ss or titanium are not prone to failure?
View Quote

bragging on the internet?

What's the point in a Noveske barrel when you can get a Radical Firearms barrel for $89?
Mega lower vs Anderson?
XM193 vs Tula?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:41:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Since wearing tends to be gradual, it's doubtful that you would suddenly notice a difference.

Of my cans, the closest to being "worn out" is probably my Gemtech Alpine - and that's not from shooting but from cleaning. I disassemble it quite often or else the Caged-K baffles become difficult to separate. From visual observation, the edges aren't as sharp as they are on my new Alpine. I suppose one of these days it will be sent off for the IOU upgrade, though I still wish they had some stainless steel baffles left over from the limited Alpine-S run.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:01:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Ive never done it but i have read reviews of people using suppressors past 50,000 rounds with little or no loss in performance.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:15:20 AM EDT
[#11]
I melted the core on my Huntertown Arms Kestrel 5.56 with my M16. Only took about 3500 rounds.

To their credit they did rebuild it free.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:51:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I melted the core on my Huntertown Arms Kestrel 5.56 with my M16. Only took about 3500 rounds.

View Quote

Not to come off as dense but can you go into detail
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:05:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:16:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holes in the first several baffles were significantly larger. I'll post pics when I get home from work tonight.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:59:18 PM EDT
[#15]
If you can afford enough ammo to wear out a can, buying a replacement is just a drop in the bucket.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:39:19 PM EDT
[#16]
But time is money, and the 8 months for a replacement and stamp is expensive.
Good to hear huntertown replaced it. Was this old huntertown or recent?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:23:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you can afford enough ammo to wear out a can, buying a replacement is just a drop in the bucket.
View Quote

THIS

I have a AWC 10/22 that is 25ish years old with over 10k rounds and a Ruger MK2 integral with way more than 10k,  mostly CCI mini-mags, that is still very quiet. Have a MP5-SD that's 27 years old  15k plus rounds and 5k was old corrosive primer surplus ammo.
Have  ACC with over 8K of 5.56 and 7.62 through it, some fired full auto. A 22 sparrow with 5k plus. They all still work just fine. A well made silencer/suppressor will last a long time, and buying it will be the cheapest thing about it, its the feeding that costs. I used to worry about my AWC's 22s and the SD filling up
but they have stood the test of time.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:43:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Holes in the first several baffles were significantly larger. I'll post pics when I get home from work tonight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The first couple baffles were all like this. It still worked, I guess. The performance of the can wasn't that great to begin with. It was an awful lot of wear for 3500 rounds in a can that was "full auto rated".
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:45:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

They didn't replace the entire can, just the front end. There was no stamp, it's on a form 3.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:32:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They didn't replace the entire can, just the front end. There was no stamp, it's on a form 3.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why a form 3? I thought you can just send NFA items directly to the manufacturer without any kind of paperwork?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:43:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Why a form 3? I thought you can just send NFA items directly to the manufacturer without any kind of paperwork?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's probably a dealer.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:00:33 PM EDT
[#22]
I burned the finish off the outside of the can, trying out a Fostech stock with a Beta mag..  

Can internals are still just fine.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top