Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2003 12:36:48 PM EDT
I slapped a set of Israeli handguards on my DSA STG and hit the range today.  With the original STG handguards, 2 mags rapid fire made the front end untouchable.  With the Izzy's, just a little warm.  100 rounds got pretty toasty, but still very tolerable.  Well worth the investment IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out this place...CoolGuard

I haven't tried it yet as I still haven't boughten a receiver for my G1 kit. But it looks good.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 3:46:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah...I stumbled on that link over at the FALFiles.  Looks pretty interesting.  I considered doing that with a set of Imbel polymer handguards.  I really like the look of the Izzy stuff, though.

Link Posted: 6/14/2003 9:16:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah the Izzy handguards will always be a better/more functional choice than the metal handguards.

But I have a fondness for the grooved metal guards with the bipod recesses. A classical look. Even if they aren't the most functional.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 9:21:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
But I have a fondness for the grooved metal guards with the bipod recesses. A classical look. Even if they aren't the most functional.

You've got a point there.  I would've liked to have kept the STG in original configuration if the heat issue could be resolved.  I'd have to see the coolguards in action...I'm a little skeptical.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 11:51:42 AM EDT
[#5]
The DSA synthetic handguards are much better than metal 'guards. Izzy 'guards are better yet. Another solution on the fal files is "chicken mitts!" (oven/hot plate gloves!)

I wonder how these things were ever fired in prolonged full auto....<wooo, hot hot hot>

I usually take more than one rifle to the range. After a few mags through my DSA, if it is getting warm/hot, I'll shoot something else.

On the last range trip when I took my DSA, someone left a few cement blocks at the 50 yd berm. The FAL just chews them up The .223 is less impressive...
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 11:58:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
On the last range trip when I took my DSA, someone left a few cement blocks at the 50 yd berm. The FAL just chews them up The .223 is less impressive...

That's the big reason I chose a .308 for my SHTF weapon.  The .223 is a good anti-personnel round, but I think the .308 is a better all-purpose round.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 1:03:01 PM EDT
[#7]
The Aussie L1A1 wooden handguards are asbestos lined mine have never heated up to the point i couldn't hold them with a bare hand (back in the 20/30 round mag days),of course now I'll most likely die of cancer or some other such nonsense. :)
When we were issued FNC1A1s it was not uncommon to see the wooden hanguards start to smoulder and at times burst into flames but they never did get too hot to hold with just a glove on.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 2:43:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Check out this place...CoolGuard

I haven't tried it yet as I still haven't boughten a receiver for my G1 kit. But it looks good.

I think the basic laws of physics will prove that these will do very little to eliminate the barrel heat on the handguards. I think it's a good theory but if any of y'all are also gearheads like me, go out to your garage, fire up the big block and then once it is warm, touch the aluminum intake manifold or cylinder heads....ouch. I don't buy it. Grab the top of the sling and fire away. And I don't know who said it but they were wondering how the hell anybody ever shot these things in battle in full auto....well.....war is hell.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 2:48:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I wonder how these things were ever fired in prolonged full auto....<wooo, hot hot hot>

From the bipod?
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 2:52:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I think the basic laws of physics will prove that these will do very little to eliminate the barrel heat on the handguards.

Yeah i agree, i mean the heat has to go somewhere and it would seem that this insulation would just keep the barrel hotter longer instead of allowing sufficient cooling.  I'm about to build an STG and will keep the metal handguards cause i like the looks and have other guns that i could go to should i be required to shoot a lot of ammo fast.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:01:53 PM EDT
[#11]
If you want the look of the STG but not quite as hot, take a look at the Tapco cheapie handguards.  They have the same profile as the STG but are Zytel.  They will still heat up, but take a good bit longer to do it.  They are also a US part... which is nice.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:33:36 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From the bipod?

<slaps head> That would work for some purposes.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:00:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I took some of the cloth that welder's use to protect the area that they're plazma cutting near and wrapped my barrel getting about three wraps around before holding it in place with bailing wire

The barrel did stay cooler for the first handful of magazines before slowly heating up.

I didn't cut a slot for the gas system vent so it cut one for me torching out a tiny hole.

My STG-58 came with a device that attaches to the barrel and has a pair of hand holding devices that come down about 16". When the fun really begins I'll pull the bi-pod down and use it has a forward handgrip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top