Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2003 1:32:03 PM EDT
From suggestions from this forum's readers, I have decide to use Badger rings for mounting my Mark 4 16x Loopy on my 82A1.

Dick Thomas from Prmier Reticles says to use standard height  Badger rings.

Marty from Badger rings says I'll need  high or ultra high rings.

Mike Kelton of Barrett says to get the "tall" ones.

Alright, short of calling Leupold and asking them, please advise which Badger ring height
to get.  As many answers as possible explianing this would be nice, i can tally them up and majority wins, haha.  Or, rather, one correct answer would be better.  Thanks  Alan
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 4:11:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about your Barrett but for those of us with Ferrets - I bought the Badger Mediums for my Tasco Super Sniper 20X.

They work okay, but I wish I had bought the tall ones now. They would give me more scope mounting options than I have now. Too expensive of a "mistake" to change right now. Oh well.......sigh........

Just my 2 cents worth even tho it didn't answer your question AWB317- sorry to borrow your thread...
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, when using a 40-42MM objective scope on your 82A1 you will need to use the High Rings.If your using a scope that has a 50-56MM objective you will need the X-High Rings.If you have a large head(no offensive)stick with the X-High Rings on all objective sizes and you should have a good cheek weld.The guy I see at the range has a Tasco SS42MM scope on his 82A1 and he's using the X-High rings with no problems.Go with Badger Rings they are the best!
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 4:53:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Well, when using a 40-42MM objective scope on your 82A1 you will need to use the High Rings.If your using a scope that has a 50-56MM objective you will need the X-High Rings.If you have a large head(no offensive)stick with the X-High Rings on all objective sizes and you should have a good cheek weld.The guy I see at the range has a Tasco SS42MM scope on his 82A1 and he's using the X-High rings with no problems.Go with Badger Rings they are the best!

...ditto that!!!
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 3:57:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh shit....I just bought and recieved a set of Badger Max 50's High for my 50mm scope. It will me mounted on my soon to arrive Barrett M99. Sounds like I need a set of extra high rings.... Shit Shit SHit.

Ordered them from Premier Reticle, who upon looking at the receipt, is going to charge me a "restocking" fee if I return them. Shit again. What a rip.....

Might see a set of Badgers up for sale here soon.....
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 6:04:29 AM EDT
[#5]
AZ-K9, you might be ok with the High Rings on your Barrett 99.I know the scope rail base is at least a 1/4 inch higher than the Barrett 82A1.The differences from the High-rings to the X-High rings is only a 1/4 of an inch.Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 3:47:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
AZ-K9, you might be ok with the High Rings on your Barrett 99.I know the scope rail base is at least a 1/4 inch higher than the Barrett 82A1.The differences from the High-rings to the X-High rings is only a 1/4 of an inch.Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Will do when the rifle arrives, Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 7:39:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Another thought. If you go with the extra high rings and they are too high to get a good cheek weld, you can get the webbing kit/cheekpad from Barrett to build it up. I recommend the cheekpad any way, as it cushions the stock.

My .02.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 7:52:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Texasshark,

Excellent suggestion!  Thanks, I'll do just that! My rifle should be here today or Friday; can't wait; feel like an expectant father, haha
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 8:21:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Why not just use the adjustable rings from Barrett?  That's what I'm using on my M99 with a Leupold 6.5-20x50 LRT scope.  I was able to build in enough elevation to get out to well over 1500 yards.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 9:42:06 AM EDT
[#10]
mpthole,

Those adjustable Barrett rings adjust for height?  How's that work without the force beating them into misalignment?  I thought adjustable meant for windage or shimming?
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 9:54:26 AM EDT
[#11]
The rings are height adjustable only.  So I just built in some height into the rear ring just like a 20 MOA base would do.  So far no problems.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 10:01:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Ok gotcha.  I was talking about height in relation to the size scope and my necessary cheek weld.  The Mark 14 has over 130 MOA of elevation adj.  I was talking about cheek weld distnace.  Thanks
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 12:57:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Why not just use the adjustable rings from Barrett?  That's what I'm using on my M99 with a Leupold 6.5-20x50 LRT scope.  I was able to build in enough elevation to get out to well over 1500 yards.

I bought the Badgers because they are highly touted round here and other places as "da shit". But, if my Badgers wont work, I', gonna buy the Barrett rings....

Part of my decision of not buying the Barretts were the abysmal responses I got from email questions regarding their use. I am beginning the wonder if they have monkeys doing their email responses?????
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 1:01:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I've never tried their e-mail.  The times I've had to call them I've gotten excellent service.  I'd go with a phone call next time.

As far as the Badger rings go, I know they're the *stuff* too.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top