Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 10/23/2005 7:46:36 PM EDT

Anyone have any experience with the Busse American Kensei 47?

I don't know what i'd ever do with it, but I think I might need one.

ETA:  They're no longer available from the Busse Combat Knife Company site.  They are available from the Busse Combat Company Store.
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 8:07:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn, those look really fun.

Link Posted: 10/25/2005 1:26:46 PM EDT
[#2]
i just ordered one.

i don't have any experience with them, but i've only heard good things about busse knives.  i've wanted a strong, combat grade, affordable  sword for a long time, and by what the website advertises, the kensei is perfect.

Link Posted: 10/25/2005 3:51:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
i just ordered one.

i don't have any experience with them, but i've only heard good things about busse knives.  i've wanted a strong, combat grade, affordable  sword for a long time, and by what the website advertises, the kensei is perfect.

Busse is a fantastic company and makes a hell of a good knife. I've got quite a few of them now, it can be habit forming though. Make sure you stop in bladeforums.com and introduce yoursel in the Busse forum.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:31:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I ordered the top one (black crinkle finish with black micarta scales).  
It came today.  
And yes, it's really fun.  
My son has already claimed it for his primary weapon when the zombies attack.
I'll probably have to buy another one.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:01:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It came today.  

Sweet. Let us know how it performs.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:03:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It came today.  

LOL

Looks like the Zombie attack paranoia is becoming hereditary.  My wife is always tellign to stop talking that way so the kids don't pick up anything from my bad side....

You can't go wrong with a Busse, congrats!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:48:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Until the zombies come, I don't think I'll have much to say about real-world performance.  And since my knowledge of swords and fencing is pretty much nonexistent, I'll limit my remarks to what I can observe from looking at and handling the sword.

First, it just feels right.  I never really understood what people were talking about when they said a sword had good balance until I picked this one up.  It's damn near perfect.

Overall, it's a bit longer that my Cold Steel Wakazashi, although the cutting area is a bit shorter.  It's a perfect size for when the ammo runs out and the zombies start to break into the house.  I'd choose it over a cricket bat or the Cold Steel sword any day.

The crinkle finish is non-reflective and very tough.  The micarta handle is nicely textured, non-slip, and very comfortable to hold.  Much more comfortable than the cord wrapped rayskin on the Cold Steel swords.

Did I mention that it's sharp?  Cuts through bamboo like grass.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:20:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Until the zombies come, I don't think I'll have much to say about real-world performance.  And since my knowledge of swords and fencing is pretty much nonexistent, I'll limit my remarks to what I can observe from looking at and handling the sword.

First, it just feels right.  I never really understood what people were talking about when they said a sword had good balance until I picked this one up.  It's damn near perfect.

Overall, it's a bit longer that my Cold Steel Wakazashi, although the cutting area is a bit shorter.  It's a perfect size for when the ammo runs out and the zombies start to break into the house.  I'd choose it over a cricket bat or the Cold Steel sword any day.

The crinkle finish is non-reflective and very tough.  The micarta handle is nicely textured, non-slip, and very comfortable to hold.  Much more comfortable than the cord wrapped rayskin on the Cold Steel swords.

Did I mention that it's sharp?  Cuts through bamboo like grass.

See, there you go, more tests like that. How much bamboo can it cut through without losing the edge? Try chopping some wood with it or splitting a log. Test the tip strength and side impact strength. How efficient of a cutter is it? Is it a decent chopper? Does it hold up as a utility sword or is it strictly a fighter? See how long that edge will hold up. I just have'nt heard many reviews of these blades and I thought that Busse blades were meant to be users. Just wondering how the AK-47 holds up to their other blades. Thanks for any more info.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:42:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It came today.  

Congrats John!! Cant wait to see some pics. The AK-47 has been on my mind. I was right on the fence as far as thinking I needed one. I think your post pushed me over the edge. Stay tuned for updates.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:47:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
See, there you go, more tests like that. How much bamboo can it cut through without losing the edge? Try chopping some wood with it or splitting a log. Test the tip strength and side impact strength. How efficient of a cutter is it? Is it a decent chopper? Does it hold up as a utility sword or is it strictly a fighter? See how long that edge will hold up. I just have'nt heard many reviews of these blades and I thought that Busse blades were meant to be users. Just wondering how the AK-47 holds up to their other blades. Thanks for any more info.

I hear they take unbelievable abuse, and they are backed by the Busse lifetime warranty. I hear they also throw well, that is of course if your looking for a thrower .  Get em while you can. Once the store is out, there will be no more.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:47:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:37:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Busse AK pics from Busse site

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:21:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Busse AK pics from Busse site

i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/BrianNH/ak47_throw_th.jpg
i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/BrianNH/ak47_stump_th.jpg
i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/BrianNH/ak47_stump_bend_th.jpg
i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/BrianNH/ak47_vise_bend_th.jpg

Ahhh, cool pics. Was wondering how much lateral stress the blade would take. Frickin throwing that thing! Crazy! Looks like fun.

Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top