Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2002 2:41:46 PM EDT
Hey everybody!  I'm new to the whole AR15 game, and was wondering which company makes the best AR15 for the best price.  I would like to buy one, but can't decide.  Is it Bushmaster, Olympic, Colt, DPMS, Rockriver,...?  I need some help here!

Lrntolive
Virginia
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 2:53:56 PM EDT
[#1]
First, WELCOME!!!!

Best for what?  What do you intend on using it for?  

Best is a very subjective term.  What is the best car?  Difficult to define really, and more a simple matter of opinion.  Some love Chevy, some Ford, etc.  Both good cars and their owners will normally say their's is the best.  See where I am going....  

Stick with DPMS, Bushy, Armalite, or Colt and you will be just fine.  All good companies, well respected, qualtiy customer service.  Look over at the industry forums and you will get a taste.

IMHO, DPMS and Bushy are the best value.  They are comparable in price and both run a little less than Armalite and Colt.  Both are excellent products which will bring you great joy.  Just BEWARE, they are addicting!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 3:20:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Walker,

Sorry I forgot to mention what it was for.  It will basically be my fun gun.  Just plinking at the range and stuff like that.  To tell you the truth, I am on a budget.  That's why I'm looking for the best one for the best price.  Would it be cheaper to buy the upper and lower seperately, or how about a parts kit?  I think the cheapest models I have seen are the carbine models.  Thanks for the help.

Lrntolive
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 3:27:32 PM EDT
[#3]
a parts kit is the cheapest way to go. stay away from FAC stuff, those ARs are cheap, but its really a crap shoot getting a good gun. one thing to consider, sometimes on out xchange, someone will have a new gun bulit by an experinced armorer on a quality receiver for a very fair price.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 6:34:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is.  I have always liked Colts and Bushmasters.  Olympics work but like Dodge products just have little things go wrong (at least it seems on mine).  I have no experience with the others but you might do a search and find out about others members opinions.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 6:40:10 PM EDT
[#5]
If it's a serious budget order an Armalite AR180b..   Just got one for about $550 and it's ugly but very sweet..   Or save for a few more weeks and go Bushy..  You can't beat the gun or the company..
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 6:43:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Colt, Of course.

unless you're into trouble shooting and total aggrivation.  in that case, Olympic Arms can't be beat.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 6:51:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Bushmaster for sure. All around great product. Nice fit and finish, and extremely accurate right out of the box.

AIM Surpus out of Ohio has good prices one brand new ones. Make sure to check out their website. Also, checking the exchange boards can be worthwhile.

Either way I'd go with a stock rifle for your first AR15. You can always easily upgrade.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 6:58:38 PM EDT
[#8]

I am also partial to Colt.   When I was looking for my first. The best info I received was "All you have to remember is A,B,C,D  and that stands for Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt and DPMS"   It was easy to remember and accurate. I would feel happy with either choice. Buy lots of mags and lots bullets. Then go blasting..

Just my .02 which means about as much as a hole in the ground that my dog crapped in.........

Link Posted: 3/2/2002 6:59:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Colt, Colt, Colt.
Everybody I have asked who works on AR's Hands down says Colt is the way to go.  Boston T. Party however says To go Bushmaster.  I guess even Boston makes mistakes.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#10]
While I am very partial to Bushmaster, I have to agree with

blackeye:

I am also partial to Colt. When I was looking for my first. The best info I received was "All you have to remember is A,B,C,D and that stands for Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt and DPMS" It was easy to remember and accurate. I would feel happy with either choice. Buy lots of mags and lots bullets. Then go blasting.

I will also add Rock River Arms to the list.

Now

TUBBY:
Olympics work but like Dodge products just have little things go wrong

You have sinned with the MOPAR god, you will burn in hell!!!!
Repent, repent and ask for forgiveness.

Link Posted: 3/2/2002 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Remember the ABC's
A rmalite
B ushmaster
C olt

My opinion is, if buying new, current production, Bushmaster, Armalite, then Colt.
If buying a pre ban, Colt or Bushmaster equally.
Good luck.
Pit
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 9:52:15 PM EDT
[#12]
ArmaLite M15A4 carbine.
Bushmaster is my second choice.

Every time I see that "....best price.." qualifier I don't respond most of the time.  However, I did here.
Seldom if ever have I found much of quality at the "best price."  I know, I know, everyone has a budget but I simply will not buy until I have the money to buy something decent.

"Best Price" purchases are often the most expensive in the long run.

("Best Price" rant=OFF)
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 9:59:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Colt
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 10:22:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Walker Texas Ranger gave you very sound advice.
My personal favorite is Colt.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 12:04:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Armalite for me.A lifetime warrenty and excellant customer service!
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 5:03:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Like already said, Bushmaster, Colt, DPMS, Armalite, and Rock River Arms all make very good products.  I am partial to Bushys and Rock River, because that is what I own.  By the way, keep a close eye on this years LEGP buy coming up in the next couple of weeks.  You will be able to get an awesome gun for much less than you could but it elsewhere......check it out in the LEGP forums.  For a first AR, it would be sweet.  Be careful, though, these things and all of the goodies that go with them are addicting!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 6:13:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Make sure you check your state laws. I recently bought a Bushmaster out of state. If I had bought a Colt, I could not legally bring it into Connecticut. Check with your gun store or gun smith.
Lars
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 11:36:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Definatly Bushmaster. They are cheaper in price than colt and have complete tool-less take down unlike colt where you need a dang screw driver. Plus they are accurate literaly right from the box. Bushmaster unlike colt has an extensive website with plenty of info and the ability to order parts and accessories. as for colt I always find thier website frustrating but bushy's site is cool.

and again my first point. Bushy's are much cheaper than colts.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 11:48:31 AM EDT
[#19]
American Spirit Arms. I know most of the readers will disagree with me but I have 3 American spirit Arms, aka ASA, AR-15's and they all work great. Most people don't know but ASA gets there parts from rock river arms, except their receivers and they switched the company they were using for barrels to another better  company. I agree the owner is a PRICK but I usually deal with another guy named John(also a MARINE) who is great.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 12:10:29 PM EDT
[#20]
There's nothing quite like the joy you experience when you place your cheek on a Bushy.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 3:04:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I will probably catch heck for this, but do not rule out Oly.
I read all the stuff about lousy customer service and tight chambers and have to say neither has been true for me.
My Oly PCR shoots 1/2 inch groups and feed and funtions just fine clean or dirty with whatever I feed it.
From what I have read about some of  the non main stream kit suppliers I think it best to stay with Oly, Bushy,Colt, Dpms, RRA ot Armalite

FWIW.

Lee
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 3:22:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Green Label Colt-
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 10:49:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
American Spirit Arms. I know most of the readers will disagree with me but I have 3 American spirit Arms, aka ASA, AR-15's and they all work great. Most people don't know but ASA gets there parts from rock river arms, except their receivers and they switched the company they were using for barrels to another better  company. I agree the owner is a PRICK but I usually deal with another guy named John(also a MARINE) who is great.

I agree with you. My ASA CAR-15 shoots great and was about $150 cheaper than the Bushies. I have never regetted buying it. The ONLY problems I ever had with it were occasional misfeeds, but I corrected that by using better magazines.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 11:03:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I say Bushmaster or Armalite.  Armalite if you have the money and/or want the lifetime warranty.  Otherwise, go with Bushmaster.  Either will give you excellent service.  I'm sure Colt makes a fine rifle, but they're no longer the standard.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member - www.nra.org
GOA Life Member - www.gunowners.org
SAF Supporter - www.saf.org
SAS Supporter - www.sas-aim.org

Link Posted: 3/4/2002 3:29:30 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Hey everybody!  I'm new to the whole AR15 game, and was wondering which company makes the best AR15 for the best price.  I would like to buy one, but can't decide.  Is it Bushmaster, Olympic, Colt, DPMS, Rockriver,...?  I need some help here!

Lrntolive
Virginia

Howdy,  and welcome.  I'm fairly new myself.  I have a new in box ar-15 carbine flattop with carry handle I'm planning on selling.   I would take part trade.  I just bought a varminter ar and don't need two.   Give me a shout if you think you might be interested.

Herbie.  <[email protected]>
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 4:19:18 AM EDT
[#26]
YOU DO!!!!

Or at least YOU CAN!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top