Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/15/2006 6:50:09 PM EDT
If you are using an ARMS # 18, please share your opinion on it's fit, and ability to hold zero. Also, please mention what type of receiver it is mounted to.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:16:39 PM EDT
I have an ARMS 18 on my Springfield Armory M1A. It was on the rifle when I bought it so I don't know if any fitting was required to get it on. So far, I have had no problems with it holding zero.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:14:05 PM EDT
It's wonderful. I've got one on my Polytech and it's rock solid. I'm also using the ARMS 22 lever ring mounts so I can pop the scope off in a second if I want to go to iron sights. On, off, on, off, it still holds zero perfectly.

I know that with SA rifles there is the issue of jambing spent brass. Some rifles work fine with it while others just can't use them. It depends on how the receiver was milled. There are other mounts like Smith's that work nicesly with SA rifles. I wouldn't trade mine for the world, however.

Rome
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:05:08 AM EDT
I have an SA and noticed that it occassionally jammed - BUT the scope mount was at fault. I was messing around with a Aimpoint, and the AP clamp created a problem in the forward postions. Different mounts and positions would probably not be an issue.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:36:35 AM EDT
I called SE this morning. He machines a 3 degree angle on the underside to help accomodate the commercial guns' ejection issues with low mounts. ARMS was backordered on #18's so I bailed on it, and went with the Smith Enterprise 2006.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:12:22 AM EDT
I have the older style Arms #18 on a SA and have no problems with functionality of the weapon or losing zero.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:35:47 AM EDT
Here's a shot of the ARMS 18 mount on my poly. The fit was amazingly perfect. And, the 3 point mount that the ARMS18 provides is rock steady. Not one jamb and removing the scope opens up the iron sites perfectly.

Rome
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:57:53 PM EDT
Mrs. Different has an old style ARMS # 18 mounted on her Springfield Armory, Inc. M1A serial number 134XXX receiver. The sight is an Aimpoint Comp M2. It works very well.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:16:43 PM EDT
I had a #18 with #22M rings on my SA M1A. It occassionally caused it to jam so I decided to go with the Smith Enterprise mount. Ron Smith did say whenever I ordered the mount off of him that he could fix the problem of it jamming if I sent the rifle to him.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:33:02 PM EDT
I 'm running an "old-style" ARMS #18 with #22M QR rings on my SA M1A NM. While I've had no problems with that set-up I'm still trying to decide which way to go when I get a M1A standard next month.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:31:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:24:46 AM EDT
I have an old style ARMS 18 on my Springfield Armory rifle. It was mounted on the rifle when I bought it ten years ago. It's rock solid, and I have never had a jam with it.

My scope is an original Leatherwood ART II, mounted on an ARMS 19 throw lever mount, easy on and off, with no loss of zero. It's a great set up, and I can use the iron sights anytime I want to.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:28:49 AM EDT
i bought a new ARMS 18 at a local gun show along with my SA M1A. thought it was going to be great!, went to the range happy, came back pissed off. the first round with the arms mount, jam, the brass was getting pinned in between the mount and the charging handle. tried some more rounds, about every 5 or so rounds i would get a jam, and have to smash the action back with a block of wood. so i took it off and now im looking at another, not sure what one to get.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:52:57 AM EDT
Too bad ARMS changed the design on the #18 mount. The old style, I feel is much better than the new style. I've never had a jam with mine - ever. Mine also has the stripper clip guide built in, I understand that was only available on the very early models.

KevinUSP look at the Sadlak mount. I've read some very good things about it. Here's their web address: http://sadlak.com/si_home.html

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:14:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By slt223:
I called SE this morning. He machines a 3 degree angle on the underside to help accomodate the commercial guns' ejection issues with low mounts. ARMS was backordered on #18's so I bailed on it, and went with the Smith Enterprise 2006.

h
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:25:39 PM EDT
I called Ron Smith yesterday and placed a order. Just give him a call. He is a legend in his own right and a helluva nice guy too.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:47:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Long-Ranger:
Too bad ARMS changed the design on the #18 mount. The old style, I feel is much better than the new style. I've never had a jam with mine - ever. Mine also has the stripper clip guide built in, I understand that was only available on the very early models.

KevinUSP look at the Sadlak mount. I've read some very good things about it. Here's their web address: http://sadlak.com/si_home.html

Good luck.

I hear ya on the changing of the design. I'd LOVE to find one with the integral clip guide, but I have the one thats open in the middle but doesn't have the integral clip guide.

As the M1A its going on is still just a box of parts, my friend who has a Polytech has been borrowing it and its rock solid on his rifle and hasn't caused a problem to my knowledge (I'd most assuredly hear if it did as he enjoys ribbing me when my firearms and or accessories have issues)

If you can find one of the older ones I'd say go for it.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:11:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ussocom1981:

I've sent an email to Smith Ent. 3 days ago. I haven't recived any response yet

==
They're buried prepping for another massive military order right now. I have to call there tomorrow about more stuff for the unit. I will ask about an email from Italy and try to get back with you via PM.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:44:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 3:50:49 PM EDT by slt223]

Originally Posted By mach6:

Originally Posted By ussocom1981:

I've sent an email to Smith Ent. 3 days ago. I haven't recived any response yet

==
They're buried prepping for another massive military order right now. I have to call there tomorrow about more stuff for the unit. I will ask about an email from Italy and try to get back with you via PM.

He told me he was super busy. ALL of his time is designated to machining right now to fill all the military and commercial orders. He actually asked me to mention a couple things for him because he "has absolutely no fucking time."

1) He can fix excessively worn windage/elevation indexing on receivers that are not hardened properly. This involves machining the receiver and installing a hardened indexed ring. (If I interpreted him correctly)

2) He is a Leupold distributor, and can produce very competititve pricing.

Last comment he made was the most interesting. He said if he had time he would like to machine his own receivers again. We arrived at this by me asking about ejection clearance, and holding zero. He explained that SA doesn't follow the GI pattern precisely, nor does anyone really due to a general lack of expertise. I would buy one his in heart beat. In spec and properly hardened...not much more I can ask for.

If anyone can fill that whole in the market, it would be him. Interesting guy to talk to.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:35:29 AM EDT

I have to call there tomorrow about more stuff for the unit. I will ask about an email from Italy and try to get back with you via PM.

Thanks a lot Mach6
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:16:29 AM EDT
Has ARMS offered any reason for the jaming?

I was about to order the mount and rings from them this week for my Springfield. I have a Super Sniper 20X on the way for it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:23:48 PM EDT
I contacted ARMS several months ago, but no reply.

I brought my M1A NM gently used with an ARMS #18 on it. I guess the previous owner (as did I)got disgusted with the constant jamming. So now the mount is sitting on a shelf gathering dust.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:03:31 PM EDT
I bought an ARMs 18 from another arf.com'er. Went to mount it on a SA standard. I hand tightened the nut, then used my craftsman inch pound torque wrench and had the bolt stripped at about half the recommended inch pounds. Contacted ARMs and asked to buy a new one, rep said they'd send me a new one free of charge, 2 months later, still hadnt gotten it, sent another email, no response, sent a 3rd email, got an immediate response the next day and they sent the bolt the following business day. I havent gotten around to putting the mount back on properly. Been sitting the safe hand tight on the rifle for 6 months or so. Never shot it so I cant say if it holds zero or jams yet. Maybe tomorrow I'll take it out :)
Top Top