Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2005 7:17:34 PM EDT
Just curious, How many guys here carry a gun for a living?  I am talking 11 or 18 series MOS's or full time leos.   I am new to the site and this would help me know with whom I am conversing.

IV Troop
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:08:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Most of us carry one to keep living, does that count?  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:06:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I was carrying a pre-64 model 70 in .375 HH on the job today, but I think you are asking about LEOs?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:35:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I try to keep my GUN with me at all times,  Oh you mean a RIFLE... Uh no I dont
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:57:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Went back to school this year to get my criminal justice degree so I can become an LEO and carry all the time does that count??
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:07:17 PM EDT
[#5]

"I was carrying a pre-64 model 70 in .375 HH on the job today, but I think you are asking about LEOs?"

Thats awesome!

Actually leos or combat MOS's or non CONUS independant contratctors ( KBR, Blackwater TC etc.).

Just trying to get a feel for who is on the boards, Sometimes when you are not familiar to a site it is hard to tell who is who and who just wants to be someone.  Every site has "that guy" ,that when you see his name pop up in the conversation you groan and go "oh brother the ninja speaks again".

Know what I mean?    I am simply trying to shorten the learning curve.

Very entertaining site and EXCELLENT gear photos by the way.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:10:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm a Deputy Sheriff. I'm not required to carry off-duty; but I can, so I do.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:38:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Deputy Sheriff here.  I carry on/off duty.  I'm currently designing an "inside the speedo" holster so I can carry when at the beach .
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:46:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Bowhunter6pt,

PLEASE, NO PICTUREShock.gif
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:59:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I am an LEO and Carry everyday on or off duty.  While at work I have my Glock m-22, Colt Ar14/M4, Remington 870 and a back-up gun.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:07:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I've always had my gun in my pants, but I never made a living with it
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:18:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I've carried most every day for the last 20 years. Not a cop.

Last year, I worked at a gun shop and carried every day there. While working at the gun shop, I was going through the academy for a PD, but still worked at the gun shop part time. I still carry around the house or whenever I venture out on errands. Currently looking for a job in Ohio, but don't want to stay here so I'm not going to look for a PD job here but maybe an armed security position.

I feel naked without a firearm. I even pack on job interviews.

BTW, I usually pack a P220 strong side holster and a G27 in an ankle rig. I like New York reloads....
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:40:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Duty weapon Sig P228.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:14:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Deputy Sheriff
Duty weapon of Glock 22, MP5, M4, and Mossberg 500 in my squad,
SW1006 or 1066 or Glock 27 my choices for off-duty....
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:37:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:28:05 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Bowhunter6pt,

PLEASE, NO PICTURES

WHAT?  I thought the saying around here goes something like "this thread is worthless with out pictures" .

Don't worry, I'll blot out my face .
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:33:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Full time LEO here (Desert Storm vet too).  Glock 23 on duty w/ Rem 870 in the car and, coming next week, AR-15 on duty as well.  P-64 or Glock 27 off duty.  Sometimes, usually winter, a S&W 5904 off duty.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:15:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Full time JBT. G 22, 870, MP5, M4.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:29:32 AM EDT
[#18]
combat MOS here....Tankers lead the way!!!  

While in iraq I carried a 9mm 24/7, also carried an M4 whenever I went somewhere, and if I got off the tank to search a house or car I took a mossberg 500.  Of course when I was in the tank we were carrying two 240's, a 50 cal, and of course the big 120mm cannon.......

Oh...whats that mr Iraqi.....your shooting an AK47 at me.....oh.....ok.......(loader give me a heat round)......hey...where you going mr. iraqi......you dont wanna play no more???......TOO BAD, 120mm up your a$$
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:55:25 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
combat MOS here....Tankers lead the way!!!  

While in iraq I carried a 9mm 24/7, also carried an M4 whenever I went somewhere, and if I got off the tank to search a house or car I took a mossberg 500.  Of course when I was in the tank we were carrying two 240's, a 50 cal, and of course the big 120mm cannon.......

Oh...whats that mr Iraqi.....your shooting an AK47 at me.....oh.....ok.......(loader give me a heat round)......hey...where you going mr. iraqi......you dont wanna play no more???......TOO BAD, 120mm up your a$$

I loved the vid where the ROP'er was shooting hip style at the M1a1 and gets a HEAT round in return.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:48:00 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
  Every site has "that guy" ,that when you see his name pop up in the conversation you groan and go "oh brother the ninja speaks again".

Look out boy...my chop sake is strong. Wachaaa!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:03:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Full Time police officer. Carry a Glock 22 on duty. Whatever strikes my fancy off duty.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:07:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Full-time LEO.  Always armed, on and off duty.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:48:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Glock 21 on duty. Either a Glock 30 or a USP compact off. Never without a firearm.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:44:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:31:10 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Actually leos or combat MOS's or non CONUS independant contratctors ( KBR, Blackwater TC etc.).

So now you're opening your criteria a bit from the first post.

Yes, I carry a gun for a living.  Usually a pistol, many times a rifle.

I'm glad see you've finally included tankers, cav scouts, artillery, air defense and other services besides the Army, though.  No, I don't even meet your new criteria.  

I guess the engineers, medics, MPs, mechanics, drivers, etc. out here don't either.  I'll be sure to let them know that some random guy named "IVTroop" on the internet doesn't think they rate as high as the deputy sheriff of Mayberry in his book.

What exactly do YOU do for a living?  How can we be sure YOU aren't destined to be "that guy?"
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Frankly, I think carrying a rifle as part of my job sucks.   It adds an extra 8 lbs, and it is overall awkward, especially if I have to take notes, or paint trees or whatever.  Plus it's another item that I have to drag in and out of the office, and it is a security concern.

I'd rather carry a saw.  At least the saw has good grab points, and you can create mayhem with the saw.  

Generally speaking, the gun is safety equipment and while it is nice enough, in my case, there's nothing to get too enthusiastic over.  

Of course, since I do not want to wind up like the poor gal a  two weeksago today in my town that got half her ass torn off and a big chunk of her tricep removed by a medium sized brown bear, my displeasure over carrying 8 lbs of Yugloslavian or New Haven dead weight is tempered by reality.

But if the bear really wants a chunk of me, it will get its chunk unless I get real lucky.  

Now an AR15 pistol with a Suomi drum or MWG mag on it-- that's pretty exciting.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:34:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:39:30 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
One of "the whos who"

there fixed it for ya
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:39:24 PM EDT
[#29]
So now you're opening your criteria a bit from the first post.
Posted by adam,

"Yes, ISo now you're opening your criteria a bit from the first post.

Yes, I carry a gun for a living. Usually a pistol, many times a rifle.

I'm glad see you've finally included tankers, cav scouts, artillery, air defense and other services besides the Army, though. No, I don't even meet your new criteria.

I guess the engineers, medics, MPs, mechanics, drivers, etc. out here don't either. I'll be sure to let them know that some random guy named "IVTroop" on the internet doesn't think they rate as high as the deputy sheriff of Mayberry in his book.

What exactly do YOU do for a living? How can we be sure YOU aren't destined to be "that guy?"  "

Easy There Adam.

I guess you are a little sensitive.  How about a hug and a cookie,  

As for me, Once upon a time I was an 11B and 11M. Since then I have moved up the food chain IE city, county state leo. Along with my day to day usual stuff I do some firearms training for some groups in the military, Do the same for some leo outfits, do the dishes for my wife and I give a mean pony ride for my little one
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:33:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Im not your typical combat arms so I guess I didnt spend most of my 365 days behind a mk19 on a turtleback between Tikrit and Baghdad...
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:52:26 AM EDT
[#31]
There are a lot of guys manning various posts in the military that get to do some high speed stuff that do not get the recognition they deserve. I was simply throwing out a couple of examples off the top of my head.

BTW, in reference to the Mayberry deputy comment by another poster. I know a lot of deputies (having been one) that are out in places (like Pumphandle Idaho) where they have no backup and whatever they get themselves into, they have to get themselves out of.  Just because some guy works a small dept or a rural one does not mean it is a cake job or is not more dangerous than the big city. Each have their own unique challenges and dangers.

From the replies it sounds like there is a good cross section of proffessions and a potential wealth of knowledge yuckin' it up  around here. Looks like a good crew.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:20:23 PM EDT
[#32]
G22 on duty, PPK in a Galco ankle glove as back-up, Rem. 870 locked up-right between driver's and passengers seats, Bushy M4 in the trunk, and a G19 off duty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top