Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2002 11:47:07 PM EDT
I've got a rifle I want to get refinished with a camo finish.  I don't want to spend $300+ to get an Urban Camo type finish, but I want something that looks reasonably nice on the full rifle (plastic stocks and all), along with 2 to 3 mags.

Thanks for any info.

AFARR
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 12:17:09 AM EDT
[#1]

Warning! If you own an M1A and start painting your own camo stocks it will become an addictive hobby.

How to do it.

Buy the cheapest USGI synthetic stocks you can get. I usually get them for $12.00 from Freds.

Fill in the selector cutout and and deep flaws with JB Weld.

Paint the entire stock, including the mag well and "inside" with a couple base coats of Krylon "military" paint. I use OD or Tan for the base coat.

Either free hand or with stencils apply your Camo pattern. I usually work lightest to darkest and use about 4 colors per pattern. I do better freehand than with stencils.

Apply 2 or 3 coats of a MATTE clearcoat to protect the pattern.

I recemtly completed a stock for my M1A scout in the USGI 3-Color Desert pattern.

As posted by AR15fan...

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=74&t=138205
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 1:57:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 9:07:46 PM EDT
[#3]
i have a friend who is an artistic type, he's painting a set of Cav Arms furniture for me. ive seen the handguard it looks real nice in MARPAT, he is doing his own tan Cav set in 3 color desert. when i get it back ill post pics. ive been trying to talk him into doing it for the board members for $75 but he is active duty mil and time is an issue. ill post pics when i get them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top