Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2006 4:08:49 PM EDT
I was thinking about picking one up for sporting clays and was wondering about the quality and functionality of these doubles. Obviously they won't be a Citori or even a Red Label in terms of quality and build, but how do they do? Feel good on the shoulder? Come up nicely? Shoot well?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:28:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I have yet to even see one, much less shoot one. Are they even out in the market yet?????? I too am attracted to the low cost. I bet it's either a Russian or Turkish make??????
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:58:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have yet to even see one, much less shoot one. Are they even out in the market yet?????? I too am attracted to the low cost. I bet it's either a Russian or Turkish make??????

I saw one in a local store a ways back but didn't get a chance to play with it....
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:05:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Lets hope nothing on that gun is aluminum  

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:39:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I was thinking about picking one up for sporting clays and was wondering about the quality and functionality of these doubles. Obviously they won't be a Citori or even a Red Label in terms of quality and build, but how do they do? Feel good on the shoulder? Come up nicely? Shoot well?

Thanks.

nas4.atlanta.gbhinc.com/GB/044107000/44107186/pix3237540781.jpg

Haven't shot one and don't own one, but I have handled a few. I work part-time in a gun shop and we have sold a handful and I have spoken to people who owned them. Overall, they are ok, but I would save for a Red Label if it were my money. The fit and finish are not great and they "look" like Mossberg shotguns.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:34:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I've seen and handled a few and there is nothing wrong with the looks on them at all.  In addition, they seem to be very well built.

I saw one at a gunshow lightly used for $400 and I think you can pick them up at Wal-Mart for around $460......for that price on an O/U with the warranty that Mossberg offers how could you go wrong?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:56:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Are they offered in anything other than 12ga??????????
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:38:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

A quick scan of Gunbroker's offerings showed a .410 model as well.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:18:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I worked at a sporting goods store over the summer, and we had one of these come in. It is Turkish made, and our model came with 5 chokes for about $500. Overall, I liked it; I never fired one, but it seemed pretty nice for the price. We also had a Citori or two, a Browning Cynergy (both field and competition models), as well as a Beretta Onyx (White I think??) so those were our recommendations for anyone who had used an O/U before. I feel that the Spartans and the Turk Mossbergs are pretty good entry level shotguns; if you've ever shot anything else, save your money and get a nicer one. Just my .02
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:56:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No 20ga? Damn!!!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:57:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No 20ga? Damn!!!!

I don't know if they do a 20GA or not. I'd be surprised if they didn't though.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:32:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I got one for Christmas from my father.

It's a 20 ga. and a very "tight" gun.

I got it to replace my 20 ga. pump that I use for dove hunting.

It is made in Turkey, the fit and finish are very nice. The engravings make it look like a 2,000 dollar O/U.
I think this is Mossberg's solution to that Russian O/U that is out (  I forget the maker ).

The main difference between the two is that the Turkish Mossy doesn't have cosmo all over it like
that Russian U/O.

Mine came with 3 chokes. Yeah I know, strange to me too because it is an O/U, but then again, I've never owned an O/U
before. I was thinking that it would have had an equal number of chokes....

But I think that you use 1 choke for the first barrel for a tighter pattern for longer shots and the second choke / barrel
for a wider pattern up close.

With all honesty, I have to say that I haven't shot it yet. Yeah, 2 months and haven't even pulled the trigger. I have about a case
of shells I want to run through it though. When I get guns from family members that look really nice... it is just hard to go out and shoot it like the old AR & Ak.... just aint the same ya know.

It's a really nice gun for the money.

roboman, if you want, I can take some pictures of mine tomorrow so you can see the engraving quality ?

BTW, like I said, it locks up very tight. Turkey makes some pretty nice guns.

Also, it only has 1 trigger that you pull twice. Again, I have never had an O/U so I don't know how common
1 trigger is. I've mainly seen the dual triggers.

I'll get some pics up tomorrow. If you have any particular areas of the gun that you want to see, let me know and I will snap them.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:34:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I got one for Christmas from my father.

It's a 20 ga. and a very "tight" gun.

I got it to replace my 20 ga. pump that I use for dove hunting.

It is made in Turkey, the fit and finish are very nice. The engravings make it look like a 2,000 dollar O/U.
I think this is Mossberg's solution to that Russian O/U that is out (  I forget the maker ).

The main difference between the two is that the Turkish Mossy doesn't have cosmo all over it like
that Russian U/O.

Mine came with 3 chokes. Yeah I know, strange to me too because it is an O/U, but then again, I've never owned an O/U
before. I was thinking that it would have had an equal number of chokes....

But I think that you use 1 choke for the first barrel for a tighter pattern for longer shots and the second choke / barrel
for a wider pattern up close.

With all honesty, I have to say that I haven't shot it yet. Yeah, 2 months and haven't even pulled the trigger. I have about a case
of shells I want to run through it though. When I get guns from family members that look really nice... it is just hard to go out and shoot it like the old AR & Ak.... just aint the same ya know.

It's a really nice gun for the money.

roboman, if you want, I can take some pictures of mine tomorrow so you can see the engraving quality ?

BTW, like I said, it locks up very tight. Turkey makes some pretty nice guns.

Also, it only has 1 trigger that you pull twice. Again, I have never had an O/U so I don't know how common
1 trigger is. I've mainly seen the dual triggers.

I'll get some pics up tomorrow. If you have any particular areas of the gun that you want to see, let me know and I will snap them.

I'm pretty new to O/Us myself. However, I have seen single triggers on a few, and actually prefer it that way.

That'd be great if you could take some pictures of the engraving and the wood grain.

How's it come up to your shoulder? Nice and crisp?

Looks like I have another gun to add to my list of what to buy.

(make my wallet go though).
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:25:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:46:18 PM EDT
[#14]
The vast majority of O&U's these days use single triggers, FWIW.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:10:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Pictures as promised  

They aren't the best, but you get the idea.

Click on them to see the larger original pic.

If you have any questions, let me know.
Also, if you want a picture of a particular part of the gun let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Enjoy  

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Pictures as promised  

They aren't the best, but you get the idea.

Click on them to see the larger original pic.

If you have any questions, let me know.
Also, if you want a picture of a particular part of the gun let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Enjoy  

img48.imageshack.us/img48/3964/dscn09732zo.th.jpg

img238.imageshack.us/img238/8129/dscn09757kr.th.jpg

img48.imageshack.us/img48/702/dscn09767bs.th.jpg

img163.imageshack.us/img163/7913/dscn09779ot.th.jpg

img300.imageshack.us/img300/5931/dscn09781rd.th.jpg

img163.imageshack.us/img163/8426/dscn09796vx.th.jpg

img163.imageshack.us/img163/5315/dscn09801wn.th.jpg

img134.imageshack.us/img134/4979/dscn09824bh.th.jpg

img134.imageshack.us/img134/5143/dscn09838un.th.jpg

Bones, awesome pics!

Seems to be about what I expected. Nothing gaudy or extremely expensive.

Wood, metal and engraving all seem to follow the school of clean, effective, with nothing extra adding cost.

Looks to be a solid buy that I will be making sometime before the end of the summer.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:29:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Saw one of these today at Wally World in 12ga for $477. I didn't get to hold it, but the wood fit looked pretty good thru the display case.

Looks like I may have found my new 20ga????????
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top