Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 10/30/2004 4:59:37 PM EDT
Price is not a consideration. Heard the 95 is way more accurate than the 82 but that the 82 has less recoil and double the firepower. Where is the best place to buy Barretts (i.e. who has the best deals?)
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#1]
The M82A1 is easy on the shoulder because of the recoiling barrel and 2 lb bolt carrier cycling. Because it is semi, the accuracy isn't as great as a bolt gun.

The M95 has a bit more recoil, but with the new muzzle brake coming out on the bolt guns, it is very managable. I like the M95 for its compactness. You just need to get used to cycling the bolt all the way to your shoulder because of the bull pup configuration.
Lots of people short cycle the 95 and don't pick up the next round out of the mag. It just takes a bit of getting used to.

After building Barretts for 12 years, the 95 was my favorite. I worked a guys trigger on his gun down to 12 oz.

Either way, you won't go wrong.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:01:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Both will set off car alarms from 50 feet.....

MT
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:40:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Get the 82A1 and dont look back!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:33:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Guys, guys, guys!!!

You are forgetting the ARFCOM motto.....

GET BOTH!

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:43:37 PM EDT
[#5]
For Cool Factor get the 82 but for accuracy get the 95. Even a 99 is a great rifle and worth consideration.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:52:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Since I can't afford either of them at the moment.....

get the M82A1!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:01:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Get the 82...

the Barrett bolt guns ( M99 ) are awful with recoil.

We shot several Barretts at the first GSF Shoot and one of my friends shot both and only had fun with the 82....     if you love getting kicked with recoil then you will love it.  If you like to shoot alot of .50 BMG get the 82....

LB
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:37:48 PM EDT
[#8]
This thread needs a poll
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 5:31:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the Barrett M 107 it kicks like a 12 guage. As for as accuracy you can hit a nats ass at a 1000 yards and still be off 7/16 of an inch.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 5:45:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The M82A1 is easy on the shoulder because of the recoiling barrel and 2 lb bolt carrier cycling. Because it is semi, the accuracy isn't as great as a bolt gun.

The M95 has a bit more recoil, but with the new muzzle brake coming out on the bolt guns, it is very managable. I like the M95 for its compactness. You just need to get used to cycling the bolt all the way to your shoulder because of the bull pup configuration.
Lots of people short cycle the 95 and don't pick up the next round out of the mag. It just takes a bit of getting used to.

After building Barretts for 12 years, the 95 was my favorite. I worked a guys trigger on his gun down to 12 oz.

Either way, you won't go wrong.

This will be the deciding factor. You said that the M95 is more accurate than the 82. Being that it is a bolt gun it makes alot of sense. What I want to know is....Is the accuracy on the 82 bad? If I can hit a paper plate consistently at 500-600 meters....that is good enough for me
I want an excuse to buy the 82 but I have been reading on biggerhammer.net, here and other 50 boards that the accuracy of the M82 is horrendous and that it is nothing more than a 7 thousand dollar plinker.  On the other hand...the military opted for the M82 over the M95 because of the increase in firepower but the review of the barrett M82 in American Rifleman Listed accuraccy of the 82..10-13 inches at 300 yards. That is basically smooth bore musket accuracy and is completely unacceptable.
I don't plan on shooting matches but I want it to be able to hit what I am aiming at beyond 500 yards (and preferably longer than that). That is alot of money to spend...My expectations are going to be high. Thanks Guys
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:29:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Also wanted to ask...besides the Leupold scope, what is the difference between the M107 and the M82A1?
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:30:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

This will be the deciding factor. You said that the M95 is more accurate than the 82. Being that it is a bolt gun it makes alot of sense. What I want to know is....Is the accuracy on the 82 bad? If I can hit a paper plate consistently at 500-600 meters....that is good enough for me
I want an excuse to buy the 82 but I have been reading on biggerhammer.net, here and other 50 boards that the accuracy of the M82 is horrendous and that it is nothing more than a 7 thousand dollar plinker.  On the other hand...the military opted for the M82 over the M95 because of the increase in firepower but the review of the barrett M82 in American Rifleman Listed accuraccy of the 82..10-13 inches at 300 yards. That is basically smooth bore musket accuracy and is completely unacceptable.
I don't plan on shooting matches but I want it to be able to hit what I am aiming at beyond 500 yards (and preferably longer than that). That is alot of money to spend...My expectations are going to be high. Thanks Guys

Keep in mind that the military got the 82 to engage large targets. Aircraft on the ramp, missles on the launch platform, vehicles, etc. with the ability for quick followup shots. If you are expecting exceptional accuracy then you are going to be dissappointed. Also, when you are at the range everyone watching is going to be disappointed and will think its you, not a $7000 gun

Since you expect some degree of accuracy I'd say a bolt gun is the obvious choice. Unless you are dead set on a Barrett there are lots of other options out there. Evaluate your needs, explore your options, and spend your money. Since money is no consideration get the Barrett M82 for cool factor and pick up a Serbu to hit something with.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:44:28 AM EDT
[#13]
You also need to factor in ammo.  If you are shooting 60's surplus GI ball then dont expect much out of it.  If you step up and get some of the real nice match loaded 750gr AMAX ammo you will be happier.  Poorer but happier!!

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:06:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You also need to factor in ammo.  If you are shooting 60's surplus GI ball then dont expect much out of it.  If you step up and get some of the real nice match loaded 750gr AMAX ammo you will be happier.  Poorer but happier!!

Where can I get match 50 ammo?
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:51:00 PM EDT
[#15]
We would  get lots of calls from people bitching about the accuracy of their 82A1's. The first thing I always asked was what ammo are you using.
9 times out of 10 they would be using crap 50's or 60's mil surplus ball. That stuff has terrible accuracy.
Thunderbird Cartridge Co. and AAA in Phoenix Az sell match grade ammo.

The bolt guns from Barrett have a new style brake n them now. It is a lot more efficient than the arrowhead brake on the 82A1. Even the lightweight 99-1 is a sweetheart to shoot.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:12:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
We would  get lots of calls from people bitching about the accuracy of their 82A1's. The first thing I always asked was what ammo are you using.
9 times out of 10 they would be using crap 50's or 60's mil surplus ball. That stuff has terrible accuracy.
Thunderbird Cartridge Co. and AAA in Phoenix Az sell match grade ammo.

The bolt guns from Barrett have a new style brake n them now. It is a lot more efficient than the arrowhead brake on the 82A1. Even the lightweight 99-1 is a sweetheart to shoot.

Do you have a photo of the old brake compared to the new style brake on the M95. If I could reduced Recoil on the M95...I think I would be leaning toward it rather than the M82A1. I don't know what the brakes look like so I don't know if I was getting the old style vs the new style. The consensus seems to be that the M99 and M95 are a bitch to shoot. I would probably only be shooting 20-50 rds per year(due to the distance I would need to travel to get to a 50 range) but I do not enjoy getting pounded. I shot a 6 lb 300 win mag once and I never, ever want to shoot that gun again. It felt like muhammed ali punched me in the head and a jackass kicked me in the shoulder
I WANT TO HAVE FUN....that is the bottom line. What type of accuracy could I expect at 500 yds with match ammo on the M82A1? You know what I really want...a 5 shot detachable mag Armalite AR50
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:15:17 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Since I can't afford either of them at the moment.....

get the M82A1!

+1

Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:19:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Buy my AR50!!   Its in the EE.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:28:30 PM EDT
[#19]
The "old" brake is the same that is on the current 82A1's. The new brake is similar to the clamshell style popular on .50's now.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:19:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
 You know what I really want...a 5 shot detachable mag Armalite AR50

OK, so what's stopping you?
www.shadowworksind.com/ar50_box.htm
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:24:07 PM EDT
[#21]
HOLY SH*t that ROCKS

Forget the Barrett!!!!!!!

I didn't even know there was such a thing! Do you know anyone that personally has had this done? I would get it in a heartbeat if I know for sure that it works.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 4:55:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
HOLY SH*t that ROCKS

Forget the Barrett!!!!!!!

I didn't even know there was such a thing! Do you know anyone that personally has had this done? I would get it in a heartbeat if I know for sure that it works.

I've never seen the conversion in person but the company has been doing bussiness for a while and I've never heard anything negative. You know that bad service, products, or attitudes are widely publicized on the gun forums. Ask Hesse.

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top