Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2002 12:24:37 PM EDT
I have a 20" SS HBAR, and a chrome lined(Oly's durachrome) M4 barrel.  I want to sell one of them to fund the other.

I'm thinking I can have the front sight on the M4 ground down, then I could finish the rest myself with a gasblock and C-clip(to hold the handguard cap)
OR..... I can sell the M4 (get more money?) and just have the HBAR turned down and chopped.

It's a tough choice because I want to keep the chrome barrel.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 1:31:32 PM EDT
[#1]
The stainless would be easier to cut down.  You have to be very careful with that chrome lined barrel or the chrome plating will chip or flake off at the cut.  I don't want to discourage you, I did it with mine, a chromed lined Colt barrel, but you have to do it on a lathe, go slow and support the end you're cutting off.  If you can't put a flash suppresor on it you should crown the end and you may chip it then.  If you can, get a beveled wet stone, something fine, and gently stone the end.

I cut the front site base down and used that as my gas block.  Used the same pins to hold it on.  I went with a one piece free float hand gard which is also the barrel nut.  They have them at Brownels.  

Email me your email address and I'll send you photo of mine.  If I could Hunting pictures to email me back I would post a picture here.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 2:02:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You have to be very careful with that chrome lined barrel or the chrome plating will chip or flake off at the cut.

Actually the only barrel I planned to cut was the SS barrel, but If I were to keep the chromed M4 barrel I was going to turn it into a dissy by
1) grinding down the existing front sight
2) install a setscrew, weaver base/gasblock towards the end of the barrel
3) Notch the barrel and use a c-clip to hold the handguard cap against the set screw gasblock.
Bada bing, bada boom : a new dissipator stlye chrome bore barrel!

If I were to sell the M4 barrel and keep the 20" SS barrel, I'd just have the SS cut down.

My goal is to make a dissy style barrel out of one of my Two existing barrels. My dilemma is: do I want to go through all the trouble for the sake of keeping the chrome barrel("go chrome or go home"), or just have the SS cut down.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 2:17:46 PM EDT
[#3]
The easiest way would be to convert the M4 barrel.  No gas port mods / worries, and no cutting of the actual barrel.  Dremel tool the stock sight base off, even with the top of the gas tube housing.  Find a new sight base, and ream it to slide over the barrel.  May have to bushing it down then ream the bushing to fit the barrel.  Drill / tap a couple holes in the new sight base for set screws and then line up the base, set screw it in and use locktite sleave retainer to glue it in place.  

Why not just sell both barrels and buy a BM M4 contour dissy barrel?

OSA
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 2:36:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Why not just sell both barrels and buy a BM M4 contour dissy barrel?
OSA

I've considered that, but I've heard that BM notoriously puts out barrels with canted front sight bases.
Nothing annoys me more than crooked or off centered sights.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#5]
OOps.

Missed that little M4 thingy.

I would work with that then.

What knid of stainless barrel is it?
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 4:47:27 PM EDT
[#6]
It's an Olympic Arms 20", 1:9 twist stainless steel HBAR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top