Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/2/2006 8:10:42 PM EDT
I am going to take a class when I turn 21 and am wondering what type of vest you would recommend? I am going to buy a Glock 17 and would also want some recommendations on a holster.
Thanks for the help
E.B.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:15:18 PM EDT
why not read through the collection of threads to get a better idea instead of shooting off in the dark on a question with so many possible answers that you really end up in the same position, perhaps with a loss of yards too.

there is a good amount of information here.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:28:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/2/2006 9:32:12 PM EDT by Not_so_Clever]
That there be the truth.

The internet is your friend.

It won't take you long to be confused by it all! But, do the research - it is worth it.

Metric tons o' info. Dig in!

Better to learn from us dumb bastiges (Sic) that spent the money and made the mistakes - so YOU don't have to!

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:36:30 PM EDT
There's a thread in the Tactics and Training forum (I think, may eb archived) about what people have used in tac courses and what works for them.

In all honesty, you may be suited well by a belt with a holster, two GI ammo pouches, and a dump pouch.

Here's a good starting place... www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=13&t=351339

Start digging!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:12:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2006 11:13:39 AM EDT by Va_Dinger]
I highly recommend the Eagle made SKD MOLLE UNIVERSAL chest rig. It's a very high quality rig made in the good old U.S. It's simple, cheaply priced, yet very effective rig that’s perfect for classes. I could not say a bad word about mine.

www.skdtac.com/category.asp?CATEGORYID=216

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:27:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By sic_ness:
There's a thread in the Tactics and Training forum (I think, may eb archived) about what people have used in tac courses and what works for them.

In all honesty, you may be suited well by a belt with a holster, two GI ammo pouches, and a dump pouch.

Here's a good starting place... www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=13&t=351339

Start digging!

As he's talking about a first class I'd highly recomend just that, minus the dump pouch maybe because it's really not needed.

It's not about the gear, and the first class should not be about the gear, so, don't worry about the gear now. Take that first class and learn the skills, thats what the focus should be. While yer at the class talk to folks and find out what has worked and not worked for them. Some people are even cool enough that they may let you try out their vest or rig and let you get a feel for it.

Don't worry about the gear right now, get the first class out of the way and under yer belt then start looking at gear, keep the focus on the skills you are going to learn.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:48:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2006 1:10:20 PM EDT by Va_Dinger]
While I certainly agree that classes are not about gear (1st or 20th class for that matter), having a high quality, cheap, and effective rig will only enhance your learning experience. I have seen many guys fumble around with high priced rigs and others on the exact opposite side of the issue get held up by cheap crap or placing mags in their pockets. The best way is to split the difference and just use a simple chest rig like the one from SKD/Eagle. It will hold your rifle & pistol mags effectively in one simple and low priced rig.

You do not have to spend a lot of money to have the gear required to get the most out of any class.

(1.) Rig- $75 from SKD
(2.) Dump pouches can be had for under $20 on the EE
(3.) Holster- I prefer drop legs for classes, but you cannot go wrong with the holster you use for everyday carry. Either way, nice drop legs can be found on the EE. Safariland makes the best and I have seen several 6004's go for under $65 on EE.

Like I said, a top quality set-up can be had for under $175-$200 that would serve you well for years to come.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:00:11 PM EDT
I vote for a nice stiff belt, a kydex holster (I like g-code) and a kydex double-mag carrier.

Everything on your belt. Nice, simple, fast.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:08:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:39:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2006 3:40:57 PM EDT by SinistralRifleman]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:50:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Aimless:

Originally Posted By Opesus:
I vote for a nice stiff belt, a kydex holster (I like g-code) and a kydex double-mag carrier.

Everything on your belt. Nice, simple, fast.

Although I have several chest rigs, I use a set up like yours most of the time.

No question about it, thats an outstanding set-up that will work for all but the extremely high round count classes.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:18:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Grackle_killer:
I am going to take a class when I turn 21 and am wondering what type of vest you would recommend? I am going to buy a Glock 17 and would also want some recommendations on a holster.

Why are you taking a class? If it's to prepare yourself in the event you might have to use your weapon to defend yourself or your family, consider training in/with whatever you'd be using then.

Kydex OWB belt hoster will work well for classes or concealed carry. Any of the low-profile chest rigs that hold 3+ rifle mags should do it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:29:24 PM EDT
K.I.S.S.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product_detail.asp?product_id=4351&d=
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:55:16 AM EDT
i am the only person in my family that shoots so what I know about shooting is what I have taught myself. I am not yet 21 and have not done a whole lot of pistol shooting plus I am missing parts of both index fingers which really does not affect my rifle performance because I use my middle finger but pistol shooting is a little awkward. So I need alittle hep in the pistol category plus I have a better job with more money that wiil enable me to take a class.

Thanks for all the input guys and keep on helping us rookies out!
Top Top