Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2005 12:20:42 PM EDT
I need to pick up a tactical vest.  I want to be able to use it up at the gun range, but also for general purpose outdoors. I like the idea of dropping my pack and still being able to have my 10 essentials.  For this reason, I want a vest that doesn't scream 'military' and would be somewhat discreet. Like not cleary a rifleman's vest...

So for that reason I'm thinking the TT 1B tac vest (http://tacticaltailor.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=72).  Any experiences with this vest? (Oh and a big plus 1 to the fact it's on sale right now 40%) I'm thinking I could also carry a handgun in one of the large utility pouches. I also like the hydration pouch on the back, but not a big fan of the utility pouches back there...

I'm also looking at the Eagle Tac V1-N vest (http://www.eagleindustries.com/ProdDisp.asp?PartNoID=336) I can get it off the EE for $80.  I'm thinking that I might only want 3 ammo pouches and more utility pouches to get the best of both worlds.

Any experiences with either of these?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:32:07 PM EDT
[#1]

I can vouch for the Eagle.  I've got teh Eagle Tac vest with six mag pouches.  It is VERY well made and can be made to fit perfectly.  I've adjusted it such that it is very comfortable to wear for extended periods of time.

FWIW - I've never heard anything bad about TT either.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#2]
tag for any other input
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:22:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Kind of tough to be discrete in a tactical vest of any kind, but...  I prefer MOLLE (module) type setups so that you can put the pockets you want where you want.  I used the TT MOLE vest for a while and it was ok, but the stitching was not that impressive in certain spots, but there is a lifetime warranty so I can always send it back to be repaired.  I have Eagle packs which are top quality also with a lifetime warranty but no experience with their vests.  I use this vest now and I like it because it as low profile as you can get.  I have TT AR mag pouches, Specialty defense pouches, a camelbak bladder for the slot in the back and a couple of Paraclete GP pouches.  No lifetime warranty on this item, but it is made in the U.S..  I can leave my AR mag pouches attatched and wear a jacket over this and it's pretty low profile considering I have 6 AR mags on my chest.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:32:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Both Eagle and TT are good gear makers; can't go wrong there. As stated, assault vests aren't all that low profile. The lowest profile rig I'm aware of are the 5.11 Tactical Series vests. Not the same capabilities as an assualt vest, but they are low profile...except that they're starting to scream "cop" or "contractor", the way fanny packs with pagers did for cops in the '80's and '90's.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:47:50 PM EDT
[#5]
how about a Patriot Performance Materials Patroller rig in Gray or Black with matching pockets.  Very robust construction and can possibly be overlooked in non-mil colors.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:07:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm anxiously awaiting the Centurion from HSGI, should be out the first of the year.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:39:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I have that eagle vest and cannot say enough good things about it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top