Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/27/2004 4:24:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/27/2004 4:24:28 PM EST by FrankSquid]
Which one of these platforms would you go with for long distance communication? The FAL or the M1A? Will have the funds soon and I cant make up my mind which to get. Cost is not an option and you can only choose between these two. Sound off and state your reasons...thanks guys!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:02:17 AM EST

Originally Posted By The4thHorseman:
The gun would definitely be for field/shtf use. I like the DSA SA58 and the Loaded Standard M1A

If you do go with the M1A, take a long liook at West Texas Ordnance before you give Springfield your money. WTO puts sweet rifles together, without the QA problems SA has been having in the past few years.

As well as putting straight M1As toghther, they're doing an interesting M1A / Garand hybrid.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:38:26 AM EST
FAL

Will operate forever
will operate in a wide variety of conditions
havent heard a single KB from a FAL that was built by a smith, cant say that about the M1a.

I would get an M1a to have a peace of american history though.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:45:32 AM EST
Another vote for the M1A. Get a standard rifle, chrome lined barrel, with as many USGI parts as you can find. Better accuracy, sights, trigger. Get a good sling and learn how to shoot with it.

My DSA carbine is also a fine, reliable gun, but is inferior to my M1As in these ways: sights, trigger, and doesn't respond well to a tight sling hold-pulls shots low left (sling attaches to barrel). If you only shoot from a bench, a sling doesn't matter, but it is quite important for field shooting. Any other FAL guys observe this with your rifles?

My M1As are more accurate than my DSA, but it is more than good enough.

Both are proven, reliable, accurate designs (if you spring for a "quality" FAL, not a Century hack job). You really can't go wrong here.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:12:23 AM EST
FALFALFALFALFAL

If you are shooting matches, get an M1A. If you want a rifle for field and potential use, get a FAL.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:43:25 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/25/2004 11:44:06 AM EST by Paul]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:39:19 AM EST
*mouth drops* Details!

So much better than a FAB-20!

Whats the name, where can I get it, where can i check prices, where is a decent review if you know of one offhand?

John
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:19:14 PM EST
M1A then the FAL clone.
I's Ford/Chevy type thing, both will work great but then it comes down to cost and availability.
Keep us posted.
M
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:03:48 PM EST
I have both and if I could only have one it would be the M1A, as a matter of fact I have been strongly considering selling off the 3 fals. Another note, one of my buds was undecided, and sampled both, then deciced on 2 M1A's
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:46:00 PM EST
For myself, I would stick with the FAL. The DS Arms STG58 Carbine is one of the better and reliable rifles that I have owned, and I have never met a FAL that I can't shoot accurately right out of the box. Granted, they are not match shooters but they are more than good enough to hold their own.

The fact that magazines are cheap and plentiful is yet another reason, they can usually be found on Gunbroker in lots of 10 at very reasonable prices. To borrow a quote from another on this board, the local "fun show" can even turn up the uncommon 30 rd mags for the FALs.

The only real gripe that I have about the STG58 is the noise! The "integral compensator" that is part of their barrel design works great to combat recoil, but it seems to intensify the noise in a major way. I have shot Imbel FALs with the Austrian compensators on them and found them to be much quieter, although the rocoil is a bit higher. I would rather have the recoil over the ringing ears (yes, even with earplugs).

Just my $.02

c0
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:27:11 AM EST
M1A

I've got an SA M1A and an Imbel FAL

feel, accuracy are best in the M1A

the FAL is a good battle rifle.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:36:08 AM EST
Have had examples of both.

The M1A in high grade and well tuned is better than an FAL. The FAL will do the job, but it's not as tunable, IMO, as an M1A. On the other hand, if you want this for heavy field use, the M1A REQUIRES a lot of tuning to keep it shooting well and at that sub MOA level, in my experience. The FAL will take a beating and still be a decent shooter. If you're paying $800-1000, the FAL will almost certainly be the better choice. If you're paying $1000-2500, it's a bit different. The FAL CAN be made to shoot as well as an M1A up to a point. But what you'd be paying for is more durability, and less in the field fiddling.

I'm not in practice with that M1A fiddling, so maybe others can comment. Perhaps I just had a couple of finicky examples. I think I'd prefer an FAL if this gun were to be for "survival" purposes.
But that's just me.

Giltweasel
Joe Devos
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:51:06 AM EST
The gun would definitely be for field/shtf use. I like the DSA SA58 and the Loaded Standard M1A
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:30:39 AM EST
both
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:33:23 AM EST
My vote would have to go to the FAL for strict field use. The rifle is much easier to field strip and maintain, parts and mags are cheap and readily available, and most well made samples will group 2 MOA or better - plenty good enough.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:38:13 AM EST
For long distance - M1A.

For general use - FAL.

I much prefer FALs easier to clean, more ergonomic, cheaper magazines; but the M1A is a more accurate long range rifle.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:07:43 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/25/2004 9:13:08 AM EST by warlord]
Even though I have both a Springfield Armory M1A and a Springfield Armory SAR48(built on a Brazilian Imbel reciever), and I love the M14/M1A to death. The M14/M1A rifles requires a skilled armourer to keep shooting accurately, ie the bedding will shoot loose, and there are many parts in a M14/M1A when field stripping. The FAL-type rifles have a variable gas adjustment, ie if your rifle get a little dirty you can close down the gas adjustment and you can get a little more ooph out of the gas system. This can also cut down the wear and tear on a rifle because it just supplies enough gas to cycle the action and a little more. Both rifles will do, but if I had a choice and I could only get one rifle, The FAL would be my bet. Just picking nits.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:12:37 AM EST
I've had both. I now own a DSA FAL. I will be changing the front end to a carbine configuration soon. My SA M1A was picky.

Bob
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:39:25 AM EST
Off topic, but can I get a FAL in CA? *betting not....but hoping*

John
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:11:53 PM EST
Will this rifle be used with optics? The FAL will require that the dust cover be removed which may be a problem with a bolted on optics rail.

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:22:45 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:16:33 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:56:22 AM EST
Here in New England a shot of more than a couple hundred yards is a rarity, even a hundred yards is rare due to the density of forest. Finding a place to practice at 200 yards is a challange. I'm comfortable at 200 with my M1A and I'm looking to add a FAL to the safe in the near future. I've fired several and I would have to give relaibility to the FAL. My M1A can be finicky if not kept tweaked.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:25:39 AM EST
They make a CA legal version or you can rivet a 10 round mag into an existing FAL and add a sliding dust cover that accepts stripper clips.

They are banned by the CA detachable box mag above 10 round law.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:43:39 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/25/2004 10:44:07 AM EST by Paul]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:28:21 PM EST
Having used both hard, I would go with the FAL. The M1A is a tempermental rifle, the more accurate the more so. I've had op rods bend, and that doesn't do anything for my confidence. From what I hear late model M1A's use few GI parts, and durability is even worse.
The FAL's adjustable gas system adds versatility, and the basic design is more durable. As was said, the M1A's trigger and sights make it a superior match rifle, especially when you can do tuning as needed. Not so good for field use.
As for accuracy, I've seen stock FAL's reliably knock down pepper poppers at 600 yards, and that is more than good enough for me.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:16:49 PM EST
ever thought of a SR-25 or a AR-10. now with the ban ending mags will be cheap again. the scopeing options are endless. the barrel can be freefloated, so you dont have to worry about bedding. the stock options are plentifull too. just a thought.

Remman
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:29:02 AM EST
My M1A is not tempermental at all I never have problems. But I got this S.A. probably 10yrs ago when they were made A little better (I think). I use it alot.

Now you can get a M1A rifle from a plethora of places made with GI parts .

The FAL has an advantage I get rubed in my face all the time from my friend Who owns a DSA FAL
Cheaper mags right now. Great rifle by the way but I love my M1A and I can't cheat on her with that temptress DSA.

GET what fits you try them out if you can cus opinions are like A**holes everybody has one and that is my a**hole to you
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:33:08 AM EST

Originally Posted By Remman:
ever thought of a SR-25 or a AR-10. now with the ban ending mags will be cheap again. the scopeing options are endless. the barrel can be freefloated, so you dont have to worry about bedding. the stock options are plentifull too. just a thought.

Remman

+1 +1

If you want accuracy in a semiauto, the AR system is the best thing for you...

If that's not the big deal, get build a FAL.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:39:47 AM EST

Originally Posted By RED_5:
M1A

I've got an SA M1A and an Imbel FAL

feel, accuracy are best in the M1A

the FAL is a good battle rifle.

Ditto. Unless you go with a DSA FAL like the SA58, your accuracy is (generally) going to be better with an M1A.

- N20
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:57:43 AM EST

Originally Posted By The4thHorseman:
Which one of these platforms would you go with for long distance communication? The FAL or the M1A? Will have the funds soon and I cant make up my mind which to get. Cost is not an option and you can only choose between these two. Sound off and state your reasons...thanks guys!

If cost isn't an option, then there is only one answer: M1A
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:16:55 PM EST
I've had both, but now only have two FAL's . . .

I'm gonna get flamed on this but . . . .

been shooting the old tried and true M-1 rifle for about 20 years -- LOVE IT ! !

So . . . all my friends said I needed a M-1A too. So saved up my pennies and nickels and got one. Now don't get me wrong, it's a really nice rifle, but would much better shoot my old M-1. I just think the M-1 is a better shooting rifle. If your shooting out to 500 yards or so the old 8-round clip will serve you just fine.

Also have two FAL's -- one iron-sites and one scoped. Cheap mags, easy to find and replace parts, reliable -- can't ask for much more. 3 inch groups with the scope are easy (supported prone)

I've been in the market for something "special" and an old friend offered to buy my M-1A. Sold it.

For me - - - I'll stick with the M-1 and the FAL . . . . .
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:56:41 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:09:53 PM EST
Get the M1A Supermatch or its equal from another maker of that type of rifle. It will shoot circles around the FAL.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:12:09 PM EST
My Vote for the long distance driver would be the M-1A.

I never had any problems with the M-1A I had. me and my friends must have put close to 10K rounds through the old chrome bore and it still shot good and functioned all the time. She sure was a fine gun...pre-ban Springfield M-1A with all the M-14E2 stuff, the stock, the bipod, the muzzle break...ahh remembering old guns is like thinking of good times with ex's...

But she had to get traded in for my new long distance toy....may not be as accurate, but I think that my US Ordanance M1919A6 on the M-2 tripod will do just fine on the long distance dept...why shoot just one bullet when you can give the opposition supressive fire?

Funny story...was back home (El Paso TX) at the range when I had my M1A...guy next to me had a new SR-25 with a Leupold scpoe on. The gun was giving him all kind of problems with light primer strikes.

We tested his ammo on the M1A. Fed like a champ.

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:44:56 PM EST
I dont see too many FALs at long range matches
but I do see M1As
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:44:56 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/2/2004 2:46:22 PM EST by Tommmo]
M1A bush rifle with all USGI parts! I would also look at one of the West Texas M114s! I have an M114 built by a gunsmith who is now deceased and it is my favorite! It has a 19 inch barrel and is fitted into an M14 synthetic stock.

I have owned a couple FALs, Cetmes and an HK91 but I will take an M14 type rifle anytime! Saiga 308s are good too but need allot of modifications (pistol grip, new trigger and receive peep sight) and only take 10 round mags.
Top Top