Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 5/28/2003 4:22:08 PM EDT
Have some extra cash to spend.  Any thoughts as to accuracy, scope mounting systems, maintenance and recoil would be greatly appreciated.  I'm going to buy one just not sure which.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 4:39:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 4:46:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got the Armalite and love it. Accurate and VERY low felt recoil. The only down side to it is the weight and length. You can find them right now on the dealers shelves for around $2400. You'll need a scope rail (either 15 or 50 moa) and a bipod. Brings the price to around $2700.

I shoot with a friend that has the Serbu. It is a great little gun. Recoil is a bit stiffer, but not punishing. The gun is light and you can actually carry it more that 50 yards without a break. Mark Serbu stands behind his guns 100% and has very fast turn around time (I learned this the hard way). With the bipod it will run you about $2300. There is also a BFG-50 Carbine that runs a couple hundred more. You'll have to wait about "two weeks" for a Serbu but they are worth the wait.

Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:25:42 PM EDT
[#3]
if you want more opinions you might check out biggerhammer.net/barrett it is a much larger .50 cal fourm
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:42:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I dont' own either one...but I have shot both and I would definitely buy the Armalite.It has a longer barrel,very efficient brake and is more comfortable to shoot.I think that the Armalite would out perform the Serby in long-range accuracy too.The Serbu's recoil was a little to violent for me.Ouch!
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:44:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for your help so far folks.

I've shot the Barrett M82 (I think?, semi auto)and was not impressed with the accuracy - somewhere around 3+ MOA.  Seems to me if you can 'reach out there' you ought to be able to hit it.  The damn things while very cool, are too expensive.

So it pretty much its down to the Serbu vs. Armalite.  I am a little concerned about how high a scope mounts on the Serbu.  Seems like it would be hard to get a good cheek weld using a scope.

Again, any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:48:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I have the Armalite and love it. The only down sides, as already mentioned, are weight and length (36lbs w/scope, 60" long). However, removing two bolts will remove the rear part of the stock reducing length to 51". This is just perfect for storing in the largest Browning Travel Vault (Pelican Case #1750).

The pictures of the rifle do not do it justice. It looks a lot cooler in person than it does in the pictures.

Although the scope mount looks low on the receiver, you need to raise the scope higher. I have to use Leupold Mark 4 High Rings (same thing as Badger High Rings) raising the scope 1.4". This is so you can use the check weld. You can't lower the check weld past a certain point because it interfers with the bolt pulling back. At the lowest setting, you still need the scope at least 1.4" high to get a proper view. Note that this height prevents you from using Badger's Max50 rings.

The Armalite scope base is solid. Past messages indicate that you need to buy the base in addition to the gun. But, Armalite has been shipping the 15 min base with the gun, at least it came with mine.

As far as accuracy, I get between 1.2 & 1.9 MOA using Yugo 97 & 98 M33 ammo.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:50:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Badger now has max 50 rings in 1.4 in height, super highs I think they call them..
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:22:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I have been out to the range several times already with my serbu and the cheek weld is PERFECT.  You just rest your face on the stock and everytign aligns nicely.  I am using a leupold vari x III lR 6.5-20x 50mm mildot scope with badger standard height rings.  I couldnt be happier.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:27:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Hoplite,

What kind of accuracy are you getting out of your Serbu?
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 12:21:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got the same setup and am getting 2-3moa with surplus and .5 - 1moa with handloaded AMAX.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:05:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Their are many factors you need to think about first. What are you going to be using this for, and what do you want out of it. Accuracy,Bench,Offhand,Carry,Hunting. Because the weight, and size of the gun that you choose will be based on what you want to do with it, and out of it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:22:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Mostly, I will look at it and say, "I am cool because I got a gun that shoots the biggest bullet."  

Once I get past my admiration and the cost of ammo, I'll target shoot. I will have access to a 1000 yard range when I get moved to OK.  I used to shoot a lot of 'cross the course' DCM and 1000 yard stuff with a 308 and 30-338 and loved it.  I just got bored, but the flame is rekindled.  I wont hunt with it and it will be used for punching paper (and probably some steel).
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:21:49 PM EDT
[#13]
For paper I would go with the Barrett or Armalite.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:43:04 AM EDT
[#14]
If you need some accessories for that AR-50, check here www.50cal.cjb.net Armalite sells his bipod adaptor, bipod and monopod but if you want the thumbscrews you'll have to contact him. I highly recommend the thumbscrew for the bolt release.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:38:49 PM EDT
[#15]
50 shooter-
Actually we did sell th thumbscrews for those of you that would like them we have 10 set left. We discontinued them due to lack of interest.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top