Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2002 6:25:17 AM EDT
I've owned one Walther in the past.  It was a piece of junk(American made).  I have a friend who want to sell a German manufactured blued Walther PPK/S for $375.  It's in great shape and will chamber HPs.

The thing is in Shotgun News "The Dealer Warehouse" has East German Makarovs for $189.95.  Which one is the better deal?  I've already got a Glock 26 for concealed carry.  The Walther would offer a little better concealment even pocket carry.

Which do you guys like?
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 6:52:46 AM EDT
[#1]
You would not be disappointed in the E.G. Makarov.  They are extremely reliable.  E.G.s have fantastic finishes, and very nice triggers that can be easily enhanced.  Exceptional accuracy.  The bad-ammo availability(in small towns).  I have both a Russian hi-cap Mak, and a E.G. Mak.  That said, I would love to have a Walther PPK/S!  I don't think you can go wrong either way.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 6:57:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 9:09:22 AM EDT
[#3]
They're both little guns.

Better than no gun, I guess.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 9:48:44 AM EDT
[#4]
If money is no object, and your hands fit the Walther, get it.
I've had a Russian Mak and an Interarms PPK/s and liked the Mak better because it was big enough for my hand and the PPK/s wouldn't feed reliably, and the rear sight was loose when I sent it to Interarms and loose when they sent it back.
The German made Walther's are better, from what I've read.
I dunno about the E.German Maks, but the Bulgarians are a 4000 rd. pistol.
www.arsenal-bg.com/defense_police/pistols/pistols9mm.htm
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 10:40:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd say get the Makarov.  I own three of them.  They are far more comfortable to shoot than a PPK, and all mine are very accurate.  Plus there are plenty of spare parts floating around now.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 11:51:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 12:35:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Have you considered a SIG P232?
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 1:07:39 PM EDT
[#8]
The Sigs(p232) seem pretty large for their .380 caliber.  I like the Makarov for their controls, punch and price, but the Walther does look cool, but costs more and I've had issues with an American made in the past.

I would actually like a gun to bridge the gap between my Kel-Tec p32 and my Glock 26.  

How does the Makarov compare in size to the Walther ppk/s?
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 6:02:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Save your money and by a Mak, I prefer mine over my German PPK/S any day.  They may not be as refined but they will feed anything you give them, for under $200 you can have a reliable pistol with extra mags and a pearce grip.  I guess I'm biased my old german PPK/S decided to go full auto at the range last sunday and scared the hell out of me, but thats another story.

For accessories check out www.makarov.com               KC
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 6:27:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Without a doubt go with the PPK/S!! And a German made PPK/S for $375. is a STEAL!  I used to own both an American and a German made, and the German made was far superior in terms of accuracy and tigh-fit of the parts (German quality!!).
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 8:23:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got an E.G. Mak,and frankly I'd put it up aganist a Walther any day, No offense to you Walther fans, but My Mak is very nicely polished blued, very reliable,Very well made,(German made too, just the wrong side of the fence) Excellent trigger,in either DA/SA, very accurate,(chrome-lined bore) only jams I had were with a mag that had a weak spring, a new mag spring from Wolfe fixed that, and the only other alterations I've made to it  were, 19# recoil spring (Wolfe) Perice grips, (much easier on the web of the hand,between your thumb and forefinger) and the nicest thing is, with all the alterations I've got about $175.00 in it, and it's totally reliable.kinda like the AK-47 of semiauto pistols....  
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 10:47:08 PM EDT
[#12]
i would go with the mak, 9x18 is a bigger round than the 380 or the 9x19 . its a little higher to shoot than both, and the recoil is a little more,along with the muzzel blast and the ejected shells could probably knock down a small whitetail...    
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 11:20:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Hmmm....there seems to be a split in the voting.

Put me down in the Walther PPK/S camp I've owned three of them over the years and never had any problem, feed or otherwise, Back in the days before the small hand gun revolution, I carried it into many a place, where I thought my personal safety was questionable, where much larger auto's were not concealable.

I never for a moment felt poorly armed.

It's been my expiriance, That the truly dangerous people out there in the gun world. Are the ones that can use to what ever firearm they have in front of them. to the best of it's capabilities. Be it a Walther PPK/S or a HK PSG-1.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 11:07:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Dont even think about it.  Go out and buy a Mak, any make, be it chinese, East German, Bulgarian or Russian.  Get it in 9x18.

Reliability, cost, bullet.  End of discussion.

"Mt. Everest or Death, Either Way I Win"
Link Posted: 2/18/2002 5:39:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Would you rather own a Chevette or a Corvette? they both get you there but the Chevette is cheaper and gets better gas mileage. Over the years I've owned 3-5 PPK's, German and American. There is a noticeable size disparity. The Kahr's are about the same size. The big advantage to the Walther is how flat it carries. And remember, if it was good enough for James Bond 007, it's good enough for me!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top