Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2003 12:34:05 PM EDT
I received the latest SOG today, and I'm wondering whether to get a Russian 7.62 Nagant or CZ52.  I like revolvers, but I don't know about this one.  Does anyone have a suggestion?

Link Posted: 7/11/2003 1:05:11 PM EDT
[#1]
The Nagant revolver is interesting. The cylinder came forward making a seal between the ammo and the barrel. It is, I believe, the only revolver capable of using a silencer.
The CZ52 is cheap, fun, and there are thousands of them out there.
Get both.
Jim
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 2:01:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Get both but get the CZ first. Proper ammo for the Nagant is next to impossible to find and you will be stuck with firing ammo not meant for it. (http://www.gunboards.com/forums/ click on Nagant pistols for loads of info on it, click on the Czeck weapons board for the CZ)
Besides even thought the Nagant is very interesting gun it will tire you quickly with its incredibly heavy double action trigger.
The CZ is a hoot, plenty of power and a big fireball.
And yes, the Nagant is the only revolver capable of being silenced but only with it bizarre Nagant ammo. You would have to fit your own silencer however, I do not know of any made for it.
BTW, a silenced pistol translate into low muzzle velocity, sub-sonic ya know.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 2:40:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Go with the CZ52. I have both and the CZ is much more fun and ammo is cheaper and more available. Ammoman for instance has the 7.62 Nagant ammo from Fiocchi right now but it is $35 for a box of 50. You can get a .32 ACP conversion cylinder for the Nagant, but it's $40-50 bucks and needs some fitting.

S-I
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 3:52:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I have both & agree with the others here.  Get both! but get the Cz52 first.  Much easier to find ammo for.  
The Nagant should be around a while, the last batch that was imported took a while to sell because of the lack of ammo & their overall weirdness.  You can shoot .32 S&W or .32 H&R mag out of them but the brass ends up funny looking.  The Fiocchi is spotty in availiability & is $$$$.  Bertram makes brass but pricewise you'd be better off with the Fiocchi.  I have heard rumors that Starline is going to make 7.62x38R brass, if so then .  .32-20 brass can be made to work also.  
The double-action trigger pull is almost funny in how stiff it is.  Not just stiff but notchy because it cams the cylinder forward at the last instant.  Works _much_ better for quick point & shoot work..."Great Lenin's ghost!! There's a a couple of fascist running dogs coming right for me!"

The trigger pull on the Cz52 is stout also but nowhere near the level of the M95.  The sights are tiny but she's a service pistol, not a safe queen target pistol.  Upgrade the recoil spring to the Wolff #16.5 or #18.5 spring.  The stock #14.5 spring really lets the slide bounce around.  DO NOT!!!!! dryfire it, you _will_ break the firing pin.  Makarov.com www.makarov.com has Cz52 parts, plus some Nagant parts (.32acp cylinder).
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 7:48:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree with getting the CZ52 first. I like the unusual revolver, but for a shooter the CZ beats the crud out of it.
I seem to remember someone having a 9mm conversion kit for the CZ52- Centerfire Systems?
Jim
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 8:39:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I agree with getting the CZ52 first. I like the unusual revolver, but for a shooter the CZ beats the crud out of it.
I seem to remember someone having a 9mm conversion kit for the CZ52- Centerfire Systems?
Jim

Centerfire _might_ have it, Federal Arms Corp <?> should also, I know Makarov.com does.  I haven't gotten around to buying a 9x19 barrel yet, but did buy one of the 9x23Largo barrels Makarov.com had for sale (9x19 barrel rechambered).  9x23 Largo is kinda esoteric also, but CCI did load up a bunch of Blazer AL case 9x23 not too long after the first major flood of Star Model B & Astra 400 pistols came over from Spain.  9x23 fits the magazine better than 9x19 (plus more fps at lower pressure), my Cz with the Largo barrel has no problem whatsover feeding CCI Blazer hollowpoints
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 4:33:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I have 3 CZ's and 1 Nagant...which do you think I prefer?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top