Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2002 5:41:01 AM EDT
First of all I would like to say this is a great informative site.I am glad to become a member.....Now I am toying around with the idea of getting a AR.I have'nt fooled around with one since I got out of the army,back in 75'.I would like to have one that looks like the M16A1's that I used.Is this configuration available? Do I have to find a Pre-Ban to have the flash suppresser and bayo lug ,also I would like the old style trianglar forearm.Any paticular brand as far as dependability ,accuracy.I guess the question is whether to build or buy? Thanks in advance guys......  
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 6:36:09 AM EDT
[#1]
My suggestion is that you want to buy parts, NOT an entire rifle.

For a flashider AND a bayo lug, you're gonna need a preban lower. Preban complete lowers are in the $800-1,000 price range. Postban complete lowers are in the $300 price range.

Now, they do make a birdcage-looking "muzzle brake" that is postban legal. You may wanna look into that, which will get you the look you want on a postban lower. (NOTE: You CANNOT have a bayo lug with this configuration - too many "evil features." )

Here's an opinion - get the birdcage muzzle brake and the postban lower, and forget the bayo lug. Is a bayo lug worth an additional $5-700 to you?? Not that you need to justify the expense to me, or anyone else. Gun ownership IS and SHOULD BE all about what YOU want.

The flashider is essentially for night time use - to minimize blinding flash. How often do you find yourself shooting at night?? Comparatively, the muzzle brake will benefit you EVERY TIME you pull the trigger - minimizing muzzle jump, and letting you re-acquire your target faster.

I'm not aware of any current manufacturers / assemblers that sell an upper with triangular handguards. Occasionally you will see them at gun shows (used).

Personally, I'd buy a new upper, and then retrofit it to the tri handguards. (Buy the handguards at a gun show, or a parts dealer. NOTHING more frustrating than assembling a "new to you" gun  with a shot-out barrel that patterns like a shotgun.

HTH, have fun.

[Edited to add...]

I should add this - I DO own a preban lower, but for the option of having a telescoping stock, not a bayo lug, or a flashider. I presently have a postban upper on my preban lower. A postban upper with a muzzle brake. (Just to show that my money is where my mouth is at    )

Link Posted: 3/18/2002 7:04:22 AM EDT
[#2]
i'd have to say ditto to garandman's post (ohmigosh, we agree!!!!!  )  except that i would add this:  i can do without the muzzle brake.  i mean, it's not like there's some nasty recoil with these rifles.  and without the full auto, i really don't see a NEED for them.  but it's not about need, is it?    (besides, i hate the guys at the range who don't try and get an end bench and make all the rest of us suffer from their ultra loud shots.  okay, let's face it, i hate the muzzle brakes.)  

however, since it sound like you want the look of the rifles you handled in the service, the muzzle brake is a good (read: less expensive) alternative to the big bucks.  buy or build is your choice really, based on whether you want to put the "work" into it.

as for manufacturer, i've heard good and bad about all of them.  my bushie outshoots the colt.  not to mention that i really, really, hate the colt take down pins.  

all i can add is be sure to shop around when you get ready to start making your puchases.  the same exact item, whether it's a complete rifle or a new trigger, can have some drastic differences in price, depending on the dealer.

good luck.  and be sure to post some pics when you're done.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 8:07:08 AM EDT
[#3]
You have several options.

One is to buy a pre-ban complete Colt SP1, it will cost you $875 to $1100 depending on condition and location.  This will be an exact copy of your service rifle except it is semi-auto only and has some different internal parts.

The second option is to build it yourself.  You can pickup just about any current manufacturers lower, as long as it uses mil-spec parts.  The lower will cost you $95 to $125, the lower parts kits are about $65, and the butt stock and buffer run about $65 as well.  I would then locate an A1 upper (it will be a preban) and modify it.  You can grind off the bayo lug (either all of it or the ears, as long as the bayo no longer fits), and then I would silver solder on a fake bird cage flash suppressor.  These uppers run from $300 on up with bolt carriers and bolts.  This option would run you around $600, but it would require some work on your part.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 4:37:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input.Let me see.......If I can order a 20" bushy,with a 2-stage trigger, (I have heard that they are the most accurate and depenable for the money), find some triangular hand guards, optional birdcage.I should have about what I am looking for most likely under a grand.And if I sleep with it in my sleeping bag I should get that warm fuzzy feeling again,Right LOL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top