Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2005 3:18:16 PM EDT

My M14 in need of a mount & Glass here....

ARMS, Springfield, Smith ???  

Who's is the best and where is the best place to buy it ???  (I'm also looking for glass but that's another story.......)

Thank's,

Steve
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:28:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Smith (picatinny version), I got mine from brownells at dealer price so you might have to look around to find it as cheap as I got mine.  Check with Dans Shooting Supply (www.dansshootingsupply.com), Im pretty sure he only sells the Sadlak mount which I feel is just as good and you get the option of aluminum or titanium also (I prefer steel).

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:41:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Smith is the best.
The Smith mount is a duplication of the BPT mount origanally developed with SF back in the day.
The Springfield mount is also military style, but is outdated. The original ART 2 mounts were of cast aluminum also, but had a single attachment fastener.
ARMS mounts are also used by the military, but are not as sophisticated as the Smith.
The reason the Smith is so burly is that the M21/M14/M1A receiver twists ever so little when the arm is fired. For maximum precision and repeatability, the Smith mount is the king.
I also have a McCann and Sons mount (2nd Batt.) that was purchased for the Litton night vision (remember them?) that is sweet. Good luck finding one of those! (I brought it up to cause some drooling!)

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:45:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Another advantage of the Smith mount these days is their ready availability.  Up to a few months ago, that was not always the case.  With the M14 NSN mounts (note the plural) now being a DLA managed instead of via Crane, the factory has a reliably steady stream of these going to the Armed Forces.  This means to civilians that you can count on having them on hand at Brownell's or from the factory direct.    
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:32:14 AM EDT
[#4]
go with the smith enterprise mount link

get the model 2006 mount amd #7002 rings and you will be set

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:30:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd like to place a vote for the ARMS mount.  I researched a lot of mounts a while back and decided that the ARMS was the most reliable. I mounted on on my M1a and also purchased the ARMS 30mm lever rings.  They were in my hands only a couple of days from my order and work beautifully on my rifle.  Remove the scope in seconds and replace it without losing zero every time.  And with the scope removed, iron sights are just fine.

Here'a pic of my setup  

That's a ZOS tactical scope on it.  It's a great piece of glass, too, especially for the money.

Rome
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:45:45 PM EDT
[#6]
email sent
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:02:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Good thread. Was wondering the same thing.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:08:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top