Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 12/8/2003 8:01:25 AM EDT
I'm disappointed with side lock reliability and plan to go inline. I'm thinking of just getting a 50cal barrel for my TC Encore but have also been looking at the TC Black Diamond and new Winchester with the falling block looking action. Does any one have any feelings either way on any of these? Your experience is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:14:24 AM EDT
i was looking at the heading and was about to tell you to buy the encore. then in the body of your post i saw you already had a frame. DAMN BOY! you have to ask? get one! put a nice rifle scope on it if the bambi cops will let you. talk about an all weather shooter. you will not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:34:30 AM EDT
The Encore 209 x 50 barrel is the obvious choice since you already have the Encore frame. If you plan on scoping it check the clearance between the scope and the hammer - some people have trouble getting their fingers on the hammer with a low mounted scope. TC is making some dang fine frontloaders these days. I know four guys with Omega's and two with Encores - they all shoot great.

Off topic slightly - check out the Triple Seven pellets. They clean up much easier than black powder or pyrodex with no apparent loss of accuracy or velocity.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:38:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/8/2003 5:39:01 PM EDT by cyanide]

Originally Posted By Bushman_269:
The Encore 209 x 50 barrel is the obvious choice since you already have the Encore frame. If you plan on scoping it check the clearance between the scope and the hammer - some people have trouble getting their fingers on the hammer with a low mounted scope. TC is making some dang fine frontloaders these days. I know four guys with Omega's and two with Encores - they all shoot great.

Off topic slightly - check out the Triple Seven pellets. They clean up much easier than black powder or pyrodex with no apparent loss of accuracy or velocity.

What he said about the barrel. Use pyrodex pellets and clean up with Windex window cleaner, fast and easy.
Edit to add: the old fashion blue stuff.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 4:51:17 AM EDT
I was just going to get the barrel for the Encore but after seeing how much it was going to cost for the barrel and forend I realized that I could purchase a whole new rifle and not have to mess with switching barrels. Is there anything better than the Encore out there?
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 7:22:39 AM EDT
I have a Rem 700 inline muzzleloader. Not a bad gun. If I were to buy a new ML, I would seriously consider the new TC Omega. A friend of mine has one, and it is a great design and shooter.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 8:26:40 AM EDT
Omega - everyone I know (including yours truly) who has one loves it. Easy to load, easy to clean, simple robust design and plenty accurate - what more can you ask for.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:10:45 PM EDT
im sent
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 8:14:51 PM EDT
If smokeless powder is legal then go with the savage in stainless. No mess and higher velocity. Plus faster ignition and very very accurate. Down sides is you have to measure your loads and be more careful plus the only bullets reccomended is hornady 240 xtp mags with high pressure sabots or any other bullets measuring .452(none that I know of). These bullets come apart at close range shots but still get the job done on whitetails. Powder tends to stick to reload holders till you rough them up with shotgun bore brush and get a coating of carbon. Also powder is more critical to get all of it in the gun and isn't as quick or easy as pellets. I get 2150 fps and hold less than 2 inch groups at 150yrds with mine. Recoil feels less than my 10fp in 308. You can also use blackpowder or equivalent but than you might as well get a knight wolverine 209 they're closing out and save some money. Knight are very nice muzzleloaders.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 10:16:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bushman_269:

Cool, somebody already wrote my post for me.

I have an Encore 209x50 and it is great. I also have a Knight MK-85, but I wanted to shoot 150 grain loads and it was an excuse to get another gun.

Go with the 777 pellets for sure and try the Barnes 250 grain solid copper sabot loads if you want to see some tight groups and awesome terminal performance.

You can buy a hammer extension for the Encore if you scope it, but mine works O.K. without one, but it would be iffy with gloves. IMHO lowering the hammer if you don't fire the weapon is the really tough part. Accidental discharge is very possible as you must pull the trigger to release the hammer. In fact my only gripe with the Encore is that it does not employ a safety that would eliminate this issue.
Top Top