Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/30/2016 1:15:10 AM EDT
I'm having trouble finding a handguard I like in my budget and I'm looking for input. I will be using an 11.5" Noveske barrel and I would like the rail to be between 10"-10.75, closer to he high end if I can.

I was considering a KAC URX II or 3.1 but it's my understanding that the barrel nut makes that a less than stellar choice. There is also the SLR solo but it is very open and I'm not sure I want that if I use a stainless barrel.

I would probably consider a DD rail, but $400 is out of my budget on this one.

What do you guys suggest?
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 1:24:06 AM EDT
[#1]
did you look at LaRue?
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 3:05:02 AM EDT
[#2]
BCM KMR Alpha 10 - and it's actually 10.5"
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 6:29:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 7:16:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I just put a Wilson 10.5 inch on my 11.5 and am very happy with it, take a look at it.

wilson
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 8:04:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was considering a KAC URX II or 3.1
View Quote

Your search ends here. I even know a guy that might go out on a limb and send you the Barrel nut wrench to borrow if you return it.
FWIW,
I have a URX III 8" on my wife's 8.5" Noveske Navy barrel and the URX II 10.75 on my 11.5. Love them. Actually thinking of selling a new Geissele MK3 10" to get another URX II for a 14.5" build I'm working on.

KAC GOODNESS

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:22:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Geissele mk8
ETA: like 9.5"

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 11:06:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
did you look at LaRue?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
did you look at LaRue?

I did, and I honestly didn't care for the look.

Quoted:

That's what I initially decided on, but everyone has an 11.5" with a KMR10.

Quoted:
I just put a Wilson 10.5 inch on my 11.5 and am very happy with it, take a look at it.

wilson

Same deal as the Larue there.

That was my second choice, but it's just a tad too short.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 11:08:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Your search ends here. I even know a guy that might go out on a limb and send you the Barrel nut wrench to borrow if you return it.
FWIW,
I have a URX III 8" on my wife's 8.5" Noveske Navy barrel and the URX II 10.75 on my 11.5. Love them. Actually thinking of selling a new Geissele MK3 10" to get another URX II for a 14.5" build I'm working on.

KAC GOODNESS

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FWIW,

KAC GOODNESS

What's the best place to get one?

I would prefer a URX II if I could get it, but the 3.1 would be ok too.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 12:13:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FWIW,

KAC GOODNESS

Lanbo's, Operation parts, Bolt Carrier. Not sure if they're in stock ATM though.

IM sent....
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Operation parts has 2 10.75" URX II's in stock.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 1:33:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Everyone has the KMR-A cause it's a great rail.
That should be more motivation to get one, not less.

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 2:09:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

They need one in mlok
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 2:25:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 3:00:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

FWIW,

KAC GOODNESS

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FWIW,

KAC GOODNESS

This. I have SR15's and recently use the 3.1 on an 11.5" build. My favorite handguard.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 8:24:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

They need one in mlok
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They need one in mlok

True.

I would prefer one in MLOK, instead of keymod.
I loathe keymod, but alas it really is a great rail - keymod aside. (And I wanted a factoryish BCM SBR)
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 8:52:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I really love the SLR Ion Lite M-lok.  Thin, very light and they come in every conceivable size.  I was initially hesitant about the mounting system, but after mounting my first one I can't imagine anyone ever dislodging one from the barrel nut. I now I have them on both my ARs.

This is a 9.7" on a 10.3" barrel:

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:20:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

DSC_1660 by FredMan, on Flickr

DSC_1662 by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:34:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I really love the SLR Ion Lite M-lok.  Thin, very light and they come in every conceivable size.  I was initially hesitant about the mounting system, but after mounting my first one I can't imagine anyone ever dislodging one from the barrel nut. I now I have them on both my ARs.

This is a 9.7" on a 10.3" barrel:

<a href="http://s720.photobucket.com/user/weconway/media/Guns/AP_sbr_sm_2_zpsc3qczzbo.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww205/weconway/Guns/AP_sbr_sm_2_zpsc3qczzbo.jpg</a>
View Quote

Love those colors
I also love my 12.x" SLR mlok
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:45:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm having trouble finding a handguard I like in my budget and I'm looking for input. I will be using an 11.5" Noveske barrel and I would like the rail to be between 10"-10.75, closer to he high end if I can.

I was considering a KAC URX II or 3.1 but it's my understanding that the barrel nut makes that a less than stellar choice. There is also the SLR solo but it is very open and I'm not sure I want that if I use a stainless barrel.

View Quote

Kmr or kmr-a.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:51:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Also keep in mind that with the URX the barrel but configuration makes the rail very simple to install. Probably the easiest of any rail I've ever done. The gas tube can be inserted before the rail is exited and barrel but tightened. It's stupid easy and is one but holding the rail on. No Allen screws or huge barrel nut assembly. It's clean and simple.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 11:21:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Also keep in mind that with the URX the barrel but configuration makes the rail very simple to install. Probably the easiest of any rail I've ever done. The gas tube can be inserted before the rail is exited and barrel but tightened. It's stupid easy and is one but holding the rail on. No Allen screws or huge barrel nut assembly. It's clean and simple.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only thing that gives me pause on the URX is the integral front sight.

I won't be able to buy an optic for awhile and it doesn't look like it would make a very good primary sight.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 1:18:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I won't be able to buy an optic for awhile and it doesn't look like it would make a very good primary sight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It works fine, but if you're concerned buy a cheap Magpul front sight to hold you over (although the KAC front sight is probably better anyways).
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 3:35:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It works fine, but if you're concerned buy a cheap Magpul front sight to hold you over (although the KAC front sight is probably better anyways).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suppose I could do that.

I'll probably just use a DD fixed front sight in that case.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 4:27:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try before you judge it. They're consistent and allow for accurate fire.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 4:54:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:.
Try before you judge it. They're consistent and allow for accurate fire.
View Quote

I'll do that, thanks.

I'm about 95% sure that I'll be going with the URX
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 8:48:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 10/1/2016 11:17:01 PM EDT
[#28]
I prefer the URX 3 and 3.1 but there's nothing wrong with the URX 2 if you need the rail space.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 11:48:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I prefer the URX 3 and 3.1 but there's nothing wrong with the URX 2 if you need the rail space.
View Quote

What's the difference between the 3 and 3.1?
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 11:56:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That *should* tell you something. The KMR is virtually the best handguard around.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 12:57:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 3 was a transitional rail between the 2 and 3.1. Picture a 3.1 with built in front sight like the 2. It was the best rail they made.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 1:00:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The 3 was a transitional rail between the 2 and 3.1. Picture a 3.1 with built in front sight like the 2. It was the best rail they made.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So the 3.1 doesn't have the built in sight then?
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 3:05:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, but 7".

I love mine, but I use a flip up front sight gas block.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 3:07:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That *should* tell you something. The KMR is virtually the best handguard around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the alpha is very reasonably priced, and not a hassle to install.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 2:21:28 PM EDT
[#35]
I friend of mine has a KMRA13 and I like it, but there are just too many out there in that configuration for me to choose it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 11:37:42 AM EDT
[#36]
SLR Ion ultra lite in 10.7

Link Posted: 10/3/2016 12:15:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s234.photobucket.com/user/IBSlingin/media/556%20SBR/IMG_0793_zpsjj3kb19m.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee62/IBSlingin/556%20SBR/IMG_0793_zpsjj3kb19m.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s234.photobucket.com/user/IBSlingin/media/556%20SBR/IMG_0800_zpstvjim3qt.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee62/IBSlingin/556%20SBR/IMG_0800_zpstvjim3qt.jpg</a>
View Quote

I'm building up a 12" sbr, I have a bcm 11.5 upper w/kmr and another 16" w/ kmr. I love the kmr, BUT I'm seriously considering this rail but they don't make it in key or at the length I want. Also debating having the rail cerakoted stealth grey.

ETA: emailed SLR, they may be pushing out a keymod 11" ion ultra in a few weeks for me.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 10:27:57 PM EDT
[#38]
I went w/ a KAC. There's not many out there that are in the 10.75" range which is what I like. I like being as close to the muzzle w/ still being able to put a can on it.
I just saw the SLR has one like that as well. I wish Geissele would make a 10.75" rail. I'd be all over that. Could also get an 11" rail and chop mod it if using a can.

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 11:39:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s234.photobucket.com/user/IBSlingin/media/556%20SBR/IMG_0793_zpsjj3kb19m.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee62/IBSlingin/556%20SBR/IMG_0793_zpsjj3kb19m.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s234.photobucket.com/user/IBSlingin/media/556%20SBR/IMG_0800_zpstvjim3qt.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee62/IBSlingin/556%20SBR/IMG_0800_zpstvjim3qt.jpg</a>
View Quote

After a lot of thought and searching around, I think i'll so with one of these.

I'm thinking maybe the lite rather than the ultra lite.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 6:41:02 AM EDT
[#40]
8.5" Noveske 300BLK with an 8" SLR Solo Lite.

Link Posted: 10/14/2016 10:42:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Have you looked at the 10.5 Midwest industry  G3 ssm m-lok

11.5 with a 10.5 rail

[url=http://s172.photobucket.com/user/PhilDNice/media/20161001_164957_zpsublaiprr.jpg.html][/url
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 1:01:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Have you looked at the 10.5 Midwest industry  G3 ssm m-lok

11.5 with a 10.5 rail

<a href="http://s172.photobucket.com/user/PhilDNice/media/20161001_165448_zpssajc2tzc.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w33/PhilDNice/20161001_165448_zpssajc2tzc.jpg</a>

[url=http://s172.photobucket.com/user/PhilDNice/media/20161001_164957_zpsublaiprr.jpg.html]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w33/PhilDNice/20161001_164957_zpsublaiprr.jpg[/url
View Quote

I like the length, but it isn't quite the look that I'm going for.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 9:23:52 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm in the same boat, looking for a handgaurd for my 11.5" 6.8 spc. I like the Geissele but it's a bit too short for my liking at 9.5" unless I cut the barrel to 10.5". I'm torn between a Knights 3.1 or 4 and the SLR m lok rails. I'm almost tempted to get another Larue quad rail, they are heavier than the m lok rails out there but built like a brick shit house.

I have 3 other Larue rails and I don't have any complaints with them besides weight. That really isn't a factor with my sbr's as they are light enough for me already. I know everyone is moving in the direction of m lok so I want to give it a shot at the least, picking one that looks good with a good mounting system is my issue.

Eta: Is there anything that keeps the Knight's rails from getting twisted out of square from the reciever besides the barrel nut? Haven't seen anything that says there is, hope someone sees this that has one.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 9:57:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

I like that.

Link Posted: 10/14/2016 10:47:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

What upper receiver is that? The lines match up really well with the rail, which I'm going to be getting soon.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 11:04:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm in the same boat, looking for a handgaurd for my 11.5" 6.8 spc. I like the Geissele but it's a bit too short for my liking at 9.5" unless I cut the barrel to 10.5". I'm torn between a Knights 3.1 or 4 and the SLR m lok rails. I'm almost tempted to get another Larue quad rail, they are heavier than the m lok rails out there but built like a brick shit house.

I have 3 other Larue rails and I don't have any complaints with them besides weight. That really isn't a factor with my sbr's as they are light enough for me already. I know everyone is moving in the direction of m lok so I want to give it a shot at the least, picking one that looks good with a good mounting system is my issue.

Eta: Is there anything that keeps the Knight's rails from getting twisted out of square from the reciever besides the barrel nut? Haven't seen anything that says there is, hope someone sees this that has one.
View Quote

If installed properly, the URX rail has less chance of rotating than about any rail on the market. Most of the large barrel but/punch rail offerings from other companies rely on Allen screws to secure them from axial rotation. I've seen this system come loose on more than a few rifles. Of that half dozen uppers I've assembled on URX rails I've never had one come loose for any reason, including abusive full auto fire on post sample MG's we used for destructive suppressor testing. I can't say the same for other rails, where Allen screws would loosen after multiple heat cycles if not checked and retorqued periodically.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 11:47:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

What upper receiver is that? The lines match up really well with the rail, which I'm going to be getting soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The upper and lower are from CMT Tactical.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 11:54:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

If installed properly, the URX rail has less chance of rotating than about any rail on the market. Most of the large barrel but/punch rail offerings from other companies rely on Allen screws to secure them from axial rotation. I've seen this system come loose on more than a few rifles. Of that half dozen uppers I've assembled on URX rails I've never had one come loose for any reason, including abusive full auto fire on post sample MG's we used for destructive suppressor testing. I can't say the same for other rails, where Allen screws would loosen after multiple heat cycles if not checked and retorqued periodically.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct.  I have a URX4 on a 9mm SBR that has never given me any issues.  Very solid.

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 11:23:37 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

i agree , the urx is a solid rail.  hell , trying to get one to rotate during disassembly is a booger.

if you go urx and think you might want to take it apart in the future look into the d. wilson tool steel barrel nuts

also if you like the monolithic upper look you can time the urx to the upper receiver so there is no gap between the rail and receiver.

the slr rails are nice also.  they're light and have a good feel to them.  i did have one of the cross bolts break on me on the rail i had.

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:00:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Depending on which can you go with, with the SLR rail you could go with their 10.7 or even the 11" on an 11.5" barrel. i posted that other pic of my blackout because it has a stainless Noveske barrel on it.
I also have a 10" ION Lite on a 10.5". with the SiCo ASR mount its really close.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top