Bushmaster V-Match 16"
Glock 17
Beretta Cx4 Storm (not my top choice

or buy a Walther P22 and suppress that?

Please explain...

Poll coming
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:53:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Why in the world would you choose to suppress only one? If its a money issue then buy one for the 17 and you can use it on the storm also. A good 9mm can will work suprisingly well on a .22 gun also. But it will probably not cycle. So you can suppress 3 out of 5 with one can.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I went with the P22 my first time around. This is an inexpensive way to get started. Cheap ammo and very quiet.
The Glock is really nice with the AAC Evolution 9. This is a top rated suppressor.
The Beretta Storm would be nice for longer distances than a pistol can accurately shoot.
Suppressing the Storm

I'm getting ready to suppress an AR-15 with a Yankee Hill Machine suppressor. I will still hear sonic crack since this ammo is not subsonic; however, it will still be quieter.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:00:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Why in the world would you choose to suppress only one? If its a money issue then buy one for the 17 and you can use it on the storm also. A good 9mm can will work suprisingly well on a .22 gun also. But it will probably not cycle. So you can suppress 3 out of 5 with one can.

I'm on a budget.

I'm leaning toward either the P22 or the Kimber.
When suppressing .45 ACP you don't need any special ammo since, IIRC, the round never goes super-sonic.

I do like the P22 though, and it would be a great gun to start my son on as well.

There's no such thing as sub-sonic .223/5.56mm?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:07:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I voted for the P22, only because it is the best "entry" suppressor platform.  The rest of your options are difficult to suppress eficiently.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:53:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm on a budget.

I'm leaning toward either the P22 or the Kimber.
When suppressing .45 ACP you don't need any special ammo since, IIRC, the round never goes super-sonic.

I do like the P22 though, and it would be a great gun to start my son on as well.

There's no such thing as sub-sonic .223/5.56mm?

I'm assuming you own the guns in the poll, except for the Walther.  It's the best sized gun for your (young?) son, but I'd not recommend it at all.  They're fun toys.  But that's the problem, they're TOYS.  Lower quality, not very accurate, prone to breakage & other problems.

You, and your son, will probably shoot .22lr more than anything else.  Start with that caliber suppressor.

You have a Kimber, right?  Consider a Marvel .22LR Conversion Upper.  

These are EXTREMELY accurate .22lr kits for 1911 frames.  Easy to thread.  

And a ton of fun.  Much better bang for the buck than the Walther.

(my opinion of course and as always, YMMV)

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:00:19 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You have a Kimber, right?  Consider a Marvel .22LR Conversion Upper.  

Do they make a .22 conversion for the Pro CDP II frame?
If the cost exceeds the price of the Walther it might break the budget...
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:45:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:28:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Mark,

Thanks a bunch for your insight.
No I have never fired a suppressed .45ACP and yes that was my misconception.

I was looking at AAC's site last night. They certainly have something for everything. It's hard to gauge the "quality" of a product online of course. Just one of those thing I would have to take someone's word on... like most things related to guns. I'm not sure where I would have to go to demo anything.

I have fired a suppressed P22 and it seemed like a decent gun but I have heard a lot of moxed reviews on their quality and reliability.

I do kind of like the idea of a .22LR conversion for my Kimber. Not sure on the price for one though. I seem to have it in my head that they run in the +$500 range.

I was on the Kimber site checking some stuff out and saw a 17 Mach 2 versoin. I don't know dick about this caliber (aside from that a lot of people compare it to the round used in the P90) but it seemed like that would be pretty neat to have. Looks like it would have a little more practicaly use than a regular .22LR. Can you suppress that round with a .22LR suppressor, or is there no suppressor currently available that can be used with this round?

I don't even know if you can just get a 17 Mach 2 conversion for a 1911...
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:55:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:14:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The Marvel kits we got were a special run with extended, threaded barrels.  They are VERY high quality.  First day using it we were jumping around empty shotgun shells at 35-yards with ease.  The do not come with a thread protector though, if that bothers you.  However, those can be bought from other sources cheap enough.

Is a Marvel kit a 1911 conversion kit?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:28:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:35:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sounds cool. Just out of curiosity, do they or is there any word on anyone making a .22LR conversoin that has a shorter length, closer to the carry models?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:49:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:57:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Another very cool platform are the uppers available for Buckmark and Mark II pistols from Tactical Solutions.  chainshaw on this site has one for his Buckmark.  We tried my Pilot on it and it was VERY nice.

I originally wanted to go with an integral Ruger MkII, but as much as I like those, I'm not wild about how the break down and the last time I fooled around with one the controls seems a little annoying.

Oh, wait, now that I think about it there is a company that makes .22 conversions for Glocks.  Muddy on this site recently ordered one for a G19.  I'll ask him for more info on that.  I wonder if they have a conversion for a G17 as well.

Now that would be something to consider.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:12:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:13:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:16:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Advantage Arms makes conversions for the Glock that work well.

I would think the Glock 17 would be the one to suppress of what you listed.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:17:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:49:43 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I found the link muddy had originally sent me.  Here it is www.advantagearms.com.

Cool, thanks.

Any reasons why they don't make higher capacity mags for .22LR pistols? Seems like they are always 10.

Would I be correct in assuming that you need to buy these through an FFL?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:56:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:59:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:01:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Get a 9mm supressor capable of handling a subgun.  Not sure the Evo does.

I know my SWR GS9-K2 is OK for very limited full auto, it also does pretty well on my Beretta 92FS.

Anyway, I voted G17.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:09:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Whats yer SHTF gun??? If it's the AR I'd suppress that first. I didn't go that way and wish I had a 5.56 can for the SBR right now.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:16:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:24:55 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Whats yer SHTF gun??? If it's the AR I'd suppress that first. I didn't go that way and wish I had a 5.56 can for the SBR right now.

Whatever I can grab fast enough that's suitable for the situation.
In other words, I don't have a dedicated "Break Glass in case of EOTWAWKI" gun hanging on the wall above my bed.

My home intruder killer would probably be my Glock. And your mentioning that makes a good point since it would be nice not to wake up the kids while I'm dishing out a lead salad any asshat that picks my house ot break into.

My only gripe with putting a can on my Glock is that it would interfere with the LaserMaz I put on it and I kind of bought that, in part, for the purposes of home defense. See my dilemna?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:19:12 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Advantage Arms makes conversions for the Glock that work well.

I would think the Glock 17 would be the one to suppress of what you listed.

I agree.  My brother has a Glock 17 and the AA .22lr conversion with a Gemtech can.  The Glock 17 with the conversion kit installed is extremely light.  That way, he has two weapons in one.  

I'm in the process of transferring the can into my name.    I'd like to get the AA conversion if he'll let loose of it.  

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:59:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:17:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Burney posted this one in the m16 board.  As mentioned, it's very lightweight & fun to shoot.  Accuracy nod would still go to the Marvel.

Per him:

... here's a new one. Had to go buy a Glock lower to use it though. Best quality conversion kit I've seen in awhile and it has ran 100% thus far. Advantage Arms manufacture with the Gemtech logo and threading.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:34:56 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

... here's a new one. Had to go buy a Glock lower to use it though. Best quality conversion kit I've seen in awhile and it has ran 100% thus far. Advantage Arms manufacture with the Gemtech logo and threading.

www.outdoorsunlimited.net/~chucksmy/burney/gemlock.jpg

So... how much would that set-up cost? Not including the cost of the Glock and the BATFE Tax?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:47:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Not sure on the cost.  Sent him note, so he should be along later with the details on this particular unit.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:05:27 AM EDT
[#31]
I "THINK" Gemtech was charging $300 or so back when they made these in 2001.  With all their suppressor business, they dropped it from their catalog of offerings.  Really slick setup.  It wouldn't be any problem to duplicate the package today with the AA kit though.  I'm just a bling whore and had to have one that said Gemtech on the slide.  The kit is no different from the one AA sells today.  It works and functions perfectly.

The AA kit can be threaded and a thread adaptor installed by TROS or Gemtech for around $135 I'd say plus the cost of the AA kit.  I do believe you would enjoy it.

When you're serious about playing with suppressed rimfires and cost is no object, you can go with one of these...

It is a fun gun to shoot!  

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Nothing better than a suppressed AR or M16
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:19:10 PM EDT
[#33]
1.) Is there a thread for suppressed firing videos around here? I'd like to get a general idea of what a suppressed AR sounds like. I know I've seen one that compared a .308 to a .223 and I was pretty amazed at the difference.

2.) I started thinking while I was out, what about doing an integral suppressor for my AR15?
3.) I have an HBAR though... is that good or bad when doing this kind of thing? It's a Vmathc so I'd definitely achive the "shrouded" look I love so much if I went this route. I woudl assume an integrally suppressed AR would be quieter than an attached can on the end of the barrel, right?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:55:10 PM EDT
[#34]
I would go suppressed .22 route (that's what I'm going to do).  I would look at either the Ruger MkII or the CZ Kadet.

Rich
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:02:49 PM EDT
[#35]
A .22 is much easier to suppress than any of the other calibers named.  Also, it's easier (cheaper) to suppress weapons that are straight blowback because the barrel tipping can put strain on the suppressor and its' mounting.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:35:49 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Get a 9mm supressor capable of handling a subgun.  Not sure the Evo does.

I know my SWR GS9-K2 is OK for very limited full auto, it also does pretty well on my Beretta 92FS.

Anyway, I voted G17.

The SWR Trident looks really nice. Works on 9mm subguns, pistols and carbines (threaded and 3 lug adapters available).

Trident 9
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:52:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Just curious... how well does .380 suppress? Like a Sig 232? .380 is just a shorter cased 9mm, right?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:53:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Ok... here's another question: I keep forgetting this but if I understand it right, if I buy a 9mm suppressor I pay the one time tax stamp, but I can put it on any 9mm I have that will accept it, correct?

So if I get the 9mm suppressor I can put it on either my Glock OR my Cx4?

Seems to make that a bit more of a selling point.

Getting a .22LR conversion for the G17 seems a little pointless since 9mm is hardly so expensive that I need to be frugal with it.

I hardly ever shoot my .45 as it is so making that a .22LR wouldn't save me all that mcuh either.

My only other consideration is getting my AR suppressed, but I'd like to do tha integrally if it's possible and doesn't cost too much to do it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:00:50 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Ok... here's another question: I keep forgetting this but if I understand it right, if I buy a 9mm suppressor I pay the one time tax stamp, but I can put it on any 9mm I have that will accept it, correct?

So if I get the 9mm suppressor I can put it on either my Glock OR my Cx4?

Correct.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:11:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:38:34 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Just to add one more thing, some suppressors may require an adapter to swap between the Glock barrel and a fixed-barrel weapon like the Cx4.  For example, the AAC Evolution-9 can be used on the Cx4 carbine by swapping the piston assembly for their optional fixed-barrel adapter.

Yes, I saw that on their site. I'm hoping to avoid having to change any parts out and to be able to just do a clean swap. I'm wondering if the Gemtech Trinity will work that way.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:36:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Nope you have to change attatchments they have the Thread mount, LID and 3 lug attatchments.  The LID would be for the Glock and the thread mount for the Cx4.  The Trident is the same way also.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:38:23 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Nope you have to change attatchments they have the Thread mount, LID and 3 lug attatchments.  The LID would be for the Glock and the thread mount for the Cx4.  The Trident is the same way also.

Trinity

If I got a threaded extended barrel for the Glock and threaded the barrel of the Cx4 then I should be able to swap it between them, correct?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:07:11 PM EDT
[#44]
The glock would require the booster or the LID, the Cx4 would need the plain thread mount.  You can email Gem-Tech and ask them, they would be the definitive answer on it though.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:27:53 PM EDT
[#45]
What do you mean by booster or LID? You can't just have a threaded barrel and that's it? Or is it something with the recoil that you need more?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:09:39 PM EDT
[#46]
From the Trinity page on Gem-Tech's webpage:

The L.I.D. mount (patent pending) enhances cycling on Browning Design pistols by providing increased recoil impulse. It is generally required on Glock pistols and is available threaded 1/2x28 as well as M13.5x1.

the reason I said LID or booster is becasue each company calls it something else, AAC calls it a booster, Gem-Tech calls it an LID, SWR calls it an LCD.

If you had say a Beretta 92 then you could use the thread mount on it and the Cx4
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:49:35 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
If you had say a Beretta 92 then you could use the thread mount on it and the Cx4

Why is it different for the Glock than the Beretta 92?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:01:42 PM EDT
[#48]
in the browning design (glock) the barrel tilts where as the beretta's barrel stays more or less stationary.  the weight of the can can affect the barrel tilting each time it is fired interupting the cycling of the gun and causing failures such as ftf's.  the booster in some way conteracts the weight of the can enabling the pistol to cycle.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:34:54 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
in the browning design (glock) the barrel tilts where as the beretta's barrel stays more or less stationary.  the weight of the can can affect the barrel tilting each time it is fired interupting the cycling of the gun and causing failures such as ftf's.  the booster in some way conteracts the weight of the can enabling the pistol to cycle.

So does the adapter for the Glock stay on the barrel if you remove the suppressor? If you were doing a quick swap between the pistol and carbine would you be able to just unscrew the suppressor and put it right on the carbine or is the adapter attached to the suppressor itself?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:50:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top