Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2002 4:23:24 PM EDT
I really dont like the standard grip on my AR, I'm looking at Ergo, Houge, and the hk91 style grip, from bushmaster.. Anyone had any experience with these?? Which one is best?  

Anyone know where to get good prices on one??

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 5:21:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have any experience with the others, but I have Hogue grips on all my AR's and love it.  The finger grooves really make a world of difference.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 5:25:50 PM EDT
[#2]
What Larryg said. I'd take a serious look at them. I love mine.

I don't have any extensive experience with the others, other thahn the Ergo NOT giving me a postive single hand feeling of control over the firearm.

Link Posted: 6/28/2002 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's a vote for the Ergo. I've got them on 2 AR's. Also have an A-2 and a Hogue, but I like the Ergos best. If you have small paws the Ergo feels great.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 5:48:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the Ambi from Bushmaster & I'll never go back to the A2. It fits my hand perfectly.

www.bushmaster.com/shopping/buttstocks/arg-ambi.asp
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 6:17:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the Ergo, but I like the A1 grip the best.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 6:46:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Hogue for me.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 7:04:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I liked the Ergo-Grip 'cause it moves your hand back about a half-inch and puts your hand in a better position relative to the trigger (it's not so close).

Problem with the Ergo-Grip is that it's too narrow. It needs to be fatter.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 7:07:25 PM EDT
[#8]
At one point or another I had the bushmaster HK grip, the Hogue grip, the Bushmaster tactical grip and the Ergo grip on one or another AR rifle or carbine. In the end I prefered the soft rubber of the Hogue over the hard plastic of the others... but then again all my pistols have Hogue grips on them...
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 7:09:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Anybody have an online source for the AR15 Hogue grips?  I wanna click and order a few.

I have 2 Hogues and love em.  I wish I bought more when I saw some last time.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 7:13:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
At one point or another I had the bushmaster HK grip, the Hogue grip, the Bushmaster tactical grip and the Ergo grip on one or another AR rifle or carbine. In the end I prefered the soft rubber of the Hogue over the hard plastic of the others... but then again all my pistols have Hogue grips on them...

Hey, is the Bushmaster HK grip fatter than the Ergo-Grip?

The Ergo, HK grip, and Ambi grip all look exactly alike except for the texture... hard to tell from pics how "palm filling" they are.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 7:35:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I tried the Ergo, and found it a step backwards from the regular A2.  As Mr. b0ne says, the Ergo is longer but thinner.  For my largish hands the net result was zero, with no improvement in trigger reach.  The reduced width made the weapon feel less secure in my hands.

I have looked at the other grips and have concluded that while the standard grips could be significantly improved, no one has done so yet.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 7:41:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's another vote for the Hogue.  I have smaller hands, but the Hogue fits my hand really well.  They're not too expensive either.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 7:44:58 PM EDT
[#13]

I have above grip on my AR.   Pachmayr grip feels like holding a revolver.  Its wide and very short.  Don't buy the grip based on its look.  Thats the mistake I made.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 10:47:23 PM EDT
[#14]
My Bushmaster ambi-grip took some getting used to.  But now I will NOT go back to the A2-style.

Link Posted: 6/29/2002 3:42:19 AM EDT
[#15]
how about the spg grip? anybody have experience with that? i might want to order it soon.. looks cute..
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 2:27:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks alot guys, I think Im going to go with the hogue on one, and maybe the bushy hk91 style on the other, I like the idea of a rubber grip instead of hard plastic.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 3:29:50 PM EDT
[#17]

I put the Ergo grip on from time to time when I am going to ventilate!  In between those times and when my weapon sits awaiting a SHTF scenario. It wears a trapdoor type grip that holds goodies such as (stripper guide, front sight tool, 1 kitchen sink (emergency repair kit DPMS).

Don't ask me whats in my buttstock trapdoor..... I refuse to incriminate myself!

Link Posted: 6/29/2002 4:12:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Anybody have an online source for the AR15 Hogue grips?  I wanna click and order a few.

I have 2 Hogues and love em.  I wish I bought more when I saw some last time.

Brownell's has the pistol grips for 21.95 and the sets (pistol and free-float forend) for 99.95.  Select Hogue from the manufacturer list.

www.brownells.com
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 4:22:54 PM EDT
[#19]
here is a trick...
get some JB weld and build up your existing grips with a palm swell and finger groves and then use a dremmel tool to shape them to perfectly fit your hand.  you can use a little black die to color the epoxy to match the plastic.

my grips fit me like a glove
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Hey, is the Bushmaster HK grip fatter than the Ergo-Grip?

From what I remember, the HK grip from Bushy had a very prominent stipple pattern that iritated my hand after a while (ditto for the Bushy Tactical grip) whereas the Ergo had a more "subdued" pattern. Other than that, I remember the trigger pull and ergonomics being very similair. The thing that always got me was the little "hump" that rode up the back of lower receiver from the grip. Being a man introduced to ARs via the M16 in the mean green, those grips where neat but a little... alien.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Another vote for Hogue.

www.hoguegrips.com
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 6:35:04 PM EDT
[#22]
I had a similar question in the Accessories area-- http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=112988
I first bought the Ergo. It was a very nice product. My fingers were too long and I bought a Sierra instead. It fit my hands perfectly. Just a heads up if you have larger hands.

Whatever you decide, get a little product call the "Gapper".
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 6:40:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I dont have huge hands, the ergo might work good. I just dont know
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Hogue for me.

I agree.  I love Hogue, they are slightly larger and have a nice soft rubber feel without getting that melting feeling.

The others I dont know about but I do know that A2s suck.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 7:09:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Not all A2 grips are created equally. Genuine Colt A2 grips are slightly thicker, have a non glossey subdued finish and are not slippery.

Aftermarket A2 grips are uasually shiney & slippery black plasdtic with mold marks.

I tried the Hougue grip. It interfiered with the safety. All my AR type rifles have genuine Colt A2 grips now.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 7:56:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Ok I finnaly decided, Im going to get a Hogue and an Ergo, and put one on each of my AR's

Link Posted: 6/29/2002 8:08:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Not all A2 grips are created equally. Genuine Colt A2 grips are slightly thicker, have a non glossey subdued finish and are not slippery.

I tried the Hougue grip. It interfiered with the safety. All my AR type rifles have genuine Colt A2 grips now.

The Colt grips have a feel similar to the Hogue. Not a hard or shiny as the aftermarket grips.

I think that Hogue has changed the style of their grip. Didn't it use to have a curved portion ar the upper back of the grip? Look at the grip in the pics above. Mine doesn't interfere with safety at all.

I've got an Ergo grip on an AK and I like it. It is narrow side to side but deep in depth. Seems to work out pretty well after getting use to it and it is a definite improvement on the standard AK grips. I wouldn't put it on the AR, though but that's a matter of taste. The Ergo grip is hard unless you go with the more expensive model which has a slightly softer rubber.

www.dsarms.com
www.ergogrips.net

are both ergo grip sites.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 8:27:09 PM EDT
[#28]
I have large hands and the first thing I did was get rid of that finger irritating standard grip for a straight one with a hinged plate(holds seven green tips) feels so much better without that grap hitting right between my fingers.

I quess to each his own!

Bob   {8D}
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top