Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2006 12:38:55 AM EDT
Sounds like the Busse INFI material is a hell of a lot tougher, but they do talk the battle rat up pretty good on the swamp rat site. I have been through a few lesser knives looking for the right camp knife and wish I'd have discovered either of these first. Now I just have do decide which one.....so....what is the consensus, arfcom?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:53:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Is'nt the Battle Rat discontinued now? Hopefully somebody with more info will chime in, but I believe it is being replaced by the Rat Mastiff, which seems to be creeping up on a Busse at a price of $238.00. Also, the Camp Tramp is replaced by the Rat Weiler I believe. which is also about $50 bucks more expensive. They are great knives though, just wished they would stay closer to the original prices. I personally think the SR101 in the Rats will hold up to anything that you or anyone else could throw at it. Sure, maybe the INFI is a little tougher, maybe, but the Rats are pretty much near indestructible as is. Id say, if you want a user, get two Rats instead of one Busse. Get a Howling Rat and a Rat Mastiff.

Dang, there sure seems to be alot of Swamp Rat threads here lately. This is a good thing!

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:36:38 AM EDT
[#2]
LHB is correct, the Battle Rat is now discontinued. There will be an offering of the Rat Mastiff this Friday evening at the SRKW company store, and I imagine they will go quick. One of the current offerings I'm not sure for how long though is the Ratweiler. For a heavy duty chopping knife, the RW at 7.5" long and 1/4 " thick cant be beat. The blade is differentially heat treated and I'm sure will be up for anything you put it through. If you want a shorter, all around knife, closer in design to the Hell Razor, check out the Busse Satin Jac Tac which are IN STOCK READY FOR PURCHASE at the Busse company store. Slightly shorter and thinner (3/16") than the RW, it would make a good combat/all around knife however wouldn't be as good of a chopper as the RW, or Rat Mastiff. The Camp Tramp (CT), identical blade as the RW just different handle, has been discontinued. Bottom line

1. SJ TAC all around, combat knife 6", 3/16" thick, INFI, $245 -$299 in stock now (big plus)
2. Ratweiler, 7.5" 1/4" thk, micarta handles, great chopper, $178 wait + weeks??
3. Rat Mastiff, big brother to RW. 9 or 10", 1/4 thk, BEAST. This friday eve, $238 company store. Register and follow the Swamp Rat thread on BF and have your card handy and the link bookmarked. There will be a feeding frenzy.

Disclaimer: I'm not a Rat so hopefully one will chime in and possibly give you more info. Hank, are you there?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:00:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top