Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2002 4:53:30 AM EDT
Still having trouble picking a rifle.  I am a longtime shotgunner.  I use a 12 guage 870 for home defense, carry a .45 ACP waste gun for CCW, and on a .38 special ankle gun for back-up CCw.  

I have settled on the .223.  Now I have to choose a rifle for mid-range anti-personnel use in times to come. But which rifle?

I am going to buy 4 of something and want to spend wisely.

So many choices between AR-15 models, FNFAL, Galil, Ruger Mini-30, etc. Can somebody direct me to a link with pros/cons on various .223 rifles comparing cost, accuracy, reliabiity, parts availablity, sustained fire function, etc?  

Your own opinions would be great.
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 7:47:05 AM EDT
[#1]
www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/

Sorry, no cons at this link.
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 9:29:29 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I am going to buy 4 of something and want to spend wisely.

So many choices between AR-15 models, FNFAL, Galil,

Your own opinions would be great.

Now just add an AK to the list and you will have 4 very nice rifles. Of course since we are at AR15.com I will say go with a good Bushmaster carbine to start.IMO
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 11:58:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got two friends ready to join the AR15 brotherhood, and both of them are considering this one:
www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/pcwa3s20.asp
They asked me about having just one and I thought this was the best choice for that.
They both agreed it would give them what they wanted, which wasn't a target or entry style gun, both of them being either too long or too short; this was "just right"!
It's versatile and a true 'rifle'.
If I got another AR, this would be the config I'd want.
Good Luck and have fun shopping.
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 12:02:45 PM EDT
[#4]
The Maryland AR15 Shooters Site Has a lot of tech data on the 223/Ar-15, and other stuff also. Hope this helps.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 12:03:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I would get a mini 14 damn reliable gun they are cheap I got my Stainless synthetic ranch model for $460. high caps are cheap and as much as people complain I have had no problem with them. there not the most accurate but will never jam. buy a mini load up on wolf and have some fun.
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 12:28:13 PM EDT
[#6]
If it were me, I would drop the Mini 14 from the list because they are generally less accurate than the others you've listed.  I would also drop the Galil from the list because they are more exotic and it would cost some bucks to acquire four.  Mags are also much harder to come by.

If money is tight but you still need four of something, I would go with an AK-variant.  Rifles and mags are still cheap.  Very rugged, accurate enough, ammo is cheap.

If money is less of a concern, I would say FAL or AR-15.  ARs are nice because of the modular design (you can configure it in so many ways) and ergonomics.  FALs are nice because of ergonomics and cheap mags, plus it gives you the punch of the .308.  

For me, it would be a matter of what caliber you want/need the most.  If .223, the answer for me would be the AR.  If .308, then FAL.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 2:21:48 PM EDT
[#7]
All,
Thanks the replies and opinions.

Concerning the Mini-14, I have heard the accuracy issue several times from different sources so there must be some grain of truth to it.  Just how bad is it?  Will it hold 1" at 100 yards?
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 2:37:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 2:19:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Colt Green label :)
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 3:48:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
All,

Concerning the Mini-14, I have heard the accuracy issue several times from different sources so there must be some grain of truth to it.  Just how bad is it?  Will it hold 1" at 100 yards?

Mine held 4-6" at 100 yards. There are some mods you can make to try and improve a Mini's accuracy but I had neither the time nor the patience.

Totally reliable but an absolute scatter gun.

For mid range work buy something with a quicker twist (7,8 or 9 twist) so you can utilize the heavier bullets.

Savage bolt guns are a tremendous value and shoot well right out of the box.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 2:49:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
All,

Mine held 4-6" at 100 yards. There are some mods you can make to try and improve a Mini's accuracy but I had neither the time nor the patience.

Totally reliable but an absolute scatter gun.

For mid range work buy something with a quicker twist (7,8 or 9 twist) so you can utilize the heavier bullets.

Savage bolt guns are a tremendous value and shoot well right out of the box.

Thanks Maynard!  Good grief, put my sorry shooting skills on top of the 4" to 6" 100yd grouping and I could easy miss a man-size target at 150 yards!  That won't do.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 4:32:40 PM EDT
[#12]
If I understand you correctly, you are looking to buy 4 of the same rifle or 4 different rifles?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top