Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2003 2:49:40 PM EDT
Two versions are on sale at Big 5 for $79.99.  One is the 1891/30 model and the other is the M38.  Any advise about what I should look for in these rifles?  I've had pretty good luck with Mausers and SMLE, but this will be my first Mosin Nagant.  What kid of bore condition could I expect from these rifles?

Thank you everybody!
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 2:57:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Bookmark. I am also ignorant about them, but I would like to get one eventually.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 5:09:16 PM EDT
[#2]
The 1938G is the rarest of all the nagant versions.  They seam to be somewhat common right now, but it won't last long.

If you want it as a shooter, it really does not matter, get which ever one is in the best conditon.  The 1938G is for all purposes a cut down 91/30.

Conditions on these rifles range from junk to very good.  Just look it over before you buy and you shouldn't have any problems.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 6:48:27 PM EDT
[#3]
The M38 carbines are handy & not as common but for a shooter I think the 91/30 would be a lot easier on the shoulder & ears.  The short barreled M38 is somewhat abusive to fire.  

Not to be a nit-picky smartass but a cut-down 91/30 would be a 91/59  6 of one, half doZen of the other I know.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 8:07:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
 The short barreled M38 is somewhat abusive to fire.  

That's what makes it so FUN

I'd say a 91/30...great intro to the Mosins.  My first was an M44, very similar to the M38...short barreled, but with the groove in the stock for the fold down bayonet.  The short barreled mosins kick like a spastic mule, and make oodles of noise and muzzle flash.  Very fun, but some folks don't seem to like the shoulder abuse lol.  

The 91/30s, on the other hand, shoot very nice, and would be a fine addition/start to a C&R collection.  Of course, at today's prices, you could get all three, some ammo, and STILL not spend $300.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 11:39:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Not to be a nit-picky smartass but a cut-down 91/30 would be a 91/59  6 of one, half doZen of the other I know.  

The 1938 was slightly different.  It was for issue to mountain troops.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 12:08:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I prefer the 91/30's as shooters " Have 5 of them " The 38, 91/59 can be harsh with Heavy Ball and the 44's are alittle better with the added weight of bayonet.

I actually picked up another $ 79 Big 5 91/30 saturday, a 1940 Tula that had the import marks on barrel instead of the reciever.

Bore condition on the B5 38's I have looked at have all been rough and dark, Nearly all saw use in WW2. The 91/30's ; Some can be absolutly new some dark and frosted.

Big 5 will bring rifles out and let you highgrade the one U like if you ask.

Also if the bore is  slightly frosty or dark it will be impossible to keep it from rusting; even if you clean with ammonia and water after using corrosive ammo.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 1:02:11 PM EDT
[#7]
BOTH!!!
and if you really like Nagants then be sure to add a Finnish M39 soon. The most accurate and highest quality finish type out there.

Link Posted: 8/20/2003 1:19:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey guys:

I just want to thank you all for the responses and the excellent advise.  Now I know why I come here to ask questions; you guys are always helpful!

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 1:57:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, you thank us now...but when you're broke and in the gutter, surrounded by milsurp rifles, then what hehe?  

Actually, this is about the only part of the gun collecting hobby that's even remotely reasonable on the wallet.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 2:39:04 AM EDT
[#10]
So, if I were going to pick up a 91/30 online, what would be the BEST place to get one from?
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 3:27:12 AM EDT
[#11]
AIM Surplus is very inexpensive.

If you are getting one from a store, get the one that already has the cosmoline removed! I bought an M44 and I think that it will be forever before all of that shit comes off.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 3:27:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Probably AIM Surplus $ 89.95 or Aztec $ 99 or SOG. Pretty much all the regular surplus outfits have the nice arsenal rebuilt 91/30's for around the same price; BUT some of the more receant Century Arms imported ones have an enormously huge import mark in dot matrix right on the side of the reciever since the ATF changed the rules on marking of imported surplus rifles. Aztec imported there own and their marks on recvr are fairly small BTW ..

www.aztecguns.com   www.aimsurplus.com
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 4:46:10 AM EDT
[#13]
AIM
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 8:09:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I had looked at AIM and SOG before. Is it safe to assume that they are pretty much the same rifles?

SOG lists them as Unissued, yet Tangeant says some are arsenal refinished, which is it? or does it depend?

Is it worth the extra $10 for a Tula marked rifle? I assume so, but thought I would ask.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 11:23:21 PM EDT
[#15]
 Surplus dealers are notorious exagerators of condition and heritage of the arms they sell ! lol....Every one I have seen has had arsenal rebuild marks on the wood and metal. Unissued after arsenal rebuild would be a more accurate description.

Personally I like the Tula's, Most Tula's are pre-war round and hex recvr and are much nicer made than a 1943 Izzy which can be very crude..So yes they are worth the xtra 10 IMOP

SOG and AIM get there rifles from Century Arms BTW .
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 8:24:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
So, if I were going to pick up a 91/30 online, what would be the BEST place to get one from?

I have heard nothing but praise for the guys at Aztec. Check their site and then call and talk to them. Their prices are in line with everyone elses and I keep hearing that their quality and customer service can't be matched. When I get around to buying a 91/30 it will come from Aztec.
Jim

http://www.aztecguns.com/Rifles.htm

Link Posted: 8/24/2003 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#17]
personally, I'd seek out a Finnish M-39. Much nicer fit, and finish than most of the Russian/Soviet Nagants.

I'd avoid the M-44. Just cruise through a gunshow, and see how many are being walked through for sale..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 8:52:16 PM EDT
[#18]
The M 39 is definately a step above the other MN's. This will be my next purchase.
Try this link:

http://www.gunsnammo.com/index_files/m39.htm

Jim
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 9:20:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The M 39 is definately a step above the other MN's. This will be my next purchase.
Try this link:

www.gunsnammo.com/index_files/m39.htm

Jim

Link Posted: 8/25/2003 7:51:35 AM EDT
[#20]

I'd avoid the M-44. Just cruise through a gunshow, and see how many are being walked through for sale..

Meplat-

M44s are great guns, very fun to shoot...I don't know why anyone would want to avoid one, unless you're just saying that in regards to a first rifle.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 10:08:13 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Meplat-

M44s are great guns, very fun to shoot...I don't know why anyone would want to avoid one, unless you're just saying that in regards to a first rifle.  

plus, you get a nasty spike bayonet w/ the m44's.  i really can't understand getting an m38 instead.  and you guys really overstated the mule kick these rifles put out.  both my polish m44 and my chinese type 53 were on the pleasant side, no real shoulder slap to speak of w/ czech silver tip.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 1:04:53 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm against the M-44 as a first Nagant. One should fire something representative of the design's true accuracy potential, THEN get into shooting that cut down little flamethrower.

Ask the individuals selling em. I'd say a solid 90% who walk em through shows have less than 30 rounds through em, still have some "origional" ammo, and will say how much it kicked.

Someone used to firing cut down military rifles will have no problem with em. but someone buying one as a first "surplus" rifle won't like em for long..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 1:21:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a Hungarian M44 that I bought at the gunshow for $59.95 last april.  I have probably put 100-200 rounds thru it so far, and it is an all out BLAST to shoot.  BTW, my only other rifles are a .22LR and an AR 5.56, so I'm not too kick immune.  

I absolutely love having everyone on the range come down to see what the hell kinda Cannon I'm shooting. heheheh, and the early evening fireball is nothing if not impressive.

Forgot to mention, I'm absolutely dying to go hog hunting in central FL with it (since I've never been hunting).  So let me know if you have a hog you want hunted.  (Sure wished I lived in Texas for some THEREDGOAT story making in progress).....
BTW, its pretty accurate from Milsurp standards (all hits on 8x10" paper at 100 yards) with my crappy eyes and the M44's crappy sights.

I ordered some double aperture (sp?) sights from www.mojosights.com to see if I can improve my accuracy with it.  Haven't been to the range in months though so no feedback on them yet.

go to pub113.ezboard.com/bparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums  for a LOT more info on Mosin-Nagants, and also to the www.mosin-nagant.net/i3tro4.htm

site for the skinny on the cartridge it shoots.

Steve L.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 7:08:19 PM EDT
[#24]
So far a Russian M38 has been the only long gun I have purchased on my license (aside from the machine gun I am trying to get transferred). Mine came from Aztec and is very nice.

Yes, they do kick but I think the kick is overated. This coming from a guy who used to routinely shoot 30+ rounds of .50 BMG at a time wearing only a T shirt, so my definition of brutal recoil may differ from others. I decided on the M38 first because I was reading how the M44s could have a point of impact change depending on if the bayonet was extended. For my first shooter I decided to go without the bayo.

The carbines are a lot of fun and I really want a couple more before I step up to the full size rifles. I haven't decided if I want an M44 next or the 91/59. I have to admit though that I stopped into a local sporting goods store recently and looked at a very nice 91/30. For guns that hover around $100 or less, it's going to be hard to go wrong either way.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 9:06:27 PM EDT
[#25]
i ordered 5 from aztec when they had the 5 for $69 each - two 91/30's two 38's and one 44. great place to deal with - i would buy from them again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top