Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2016 4:21:27 PM EDT
So my SBR for my MKE (full size) mp5 was approved awhile ago and i still have the factory thin handguard.  I dont mind it...but im not a fan of it.  Has anyone tried the Dakota Tactial rail?  im torn between the Wide version (with the rail on the bottom), a quad rail (seems bulky), or the DT version.  I do want either an angled grip or vert grip.   I REALLY like the ones that have the lights, but HKparts never seem to have the in stock (or atleast the more affordable versions).
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 5:07:23 PM EDT
[#1]
The Dakota tactical one is awesome, here is mine on my MKE:

Link Posted: 12/15/2016 5:19:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Slick
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 5:27:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Dakota tactical one is awesome, here is mine on my MKE:

http://www.furtography.com/mke/DSC_7916.jpg

http://www.furtography.com/mke/DSC_7898.jpg
View Quote

that's a nice looking Pew right there!
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 5:34:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Make sure you get a totally normal one too, because ultimately that's the one that'll end up on there.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 5:42:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the factory wide handguard, and that's what usually adorns my MP5.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 5:56:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I like the factory wide handguard, and that's what usually adorns my MP5.
View Quote

this

the AL gets too hot when dumping mags
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 6:10:57 PM EDT
[#7]
call dakota tactical?
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 8:09:36 PM EDT
[#8]
The Dakota Tactical M-LOK rail feels just as narrow as the slim handguard. You may want to look into slapping some rail covers to beef it up a little if the narrowness is bothering you in the first place.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 8:22:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Attachment Attached File

(Bottom POF) I went with the surefire light handguard, if you go on the hk pro forum there is a company that sales used handguards and then you can purchase the light from surefire (replacement part), or at least you could when I bought mine last year.  The handguard looks practically new with a new light for about $200 dollars less then a brand new unit from surefire/hkparts.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 6:59:38 AM EDT
[#10]
For the surefire light, you can also check gunbroker. Oftentimes, you can find police trade ins for $150. Just be sure to read the descriptions for the condition if the item.

Just be aware that if you plan on running a suppressor, the surefire hand guard doesn't allow the clearance between the 3 lug and the light.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:56:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Surefire M63 along with the standard HK wide handguard, get my vote. Those are the only 2 you need.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 11:07:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I prefer the classic and simple tropical wide handguard. I never liked the original thin handguards... too narrow and heat up too much. I've also never been a fan of rail systems on MP5s, but I'm a traditionalist.

I also like the older Surefire handguards, before they started plastering their logo in big billboard letters on the sides of them.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 11:29:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
For the surefire light, you can also check gunbroker. Oftentimes, you can find police trade ins for $150. Just be sure to read the descriptions for the condition if the item.

Just be aware that if you plan on running a suppressor, the surefire hand guard doesn't allow the clearance between the 3 lug and the light.
View Quote

There are a couple of suppressor options that will actually work with the SF handguard and light.

I'll have to dig around to find what models though.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 11:30:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I prefer the classic and simple tropical wide handguard. I never liked the original thin handguards... too narrow and heat up too much. I've also never been a fan of rail systems on MP5s, but I'm a traditionalist.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/JsARCLIGHT/IMG_0354_zps4s1pzat9.jpg

I also like the older Surefire handguards, before they started plastering their logo in big billboard letters on the sides of them.
View Quote

I fully agree with all of that. ^^^
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Surefire also made a "jogged" light housing for use with suppressors. It has been years since I've seen one in person though.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 12:09:13 PM EDT
[#16]
HKParts.net has a large selection of handguard types available.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 2:48:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/JsARCLIGHT/IMG_0354_zps4s1pzat9.jpg

View Quote
That's exactly like the MP5's we were running on our tactical team back in 1989. We later substituted the HK collapsible stocks, and some of us opted for the end cap with sling attachment
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 5:44:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Surefire M63 along with the standard HK wide handguard, get my vote. Those are the only 2 you need.
View Quote

This is what I use.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 5:46:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

They make an adaptor. I have since moved to the rail and a standard light.

Link Posted: 12/16/2016 8:36:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Those are the only two I use as well, on both my MP5 and HK53 clones. The M-LOCK one looks cool, but I'd expect it to heat up quickly from rapid fire. When I have my M63 installed I'm holding a VFG.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:24:48 PM EDT
[#21]
I ended up going with the wide forearm, but will prob also end up getting 1 of the surefires.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:44:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 6:23:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 6:51:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Fake can?
View Quote

Nope but your choices that'll fit with that SF fore end are greatly limited.

Unless one opts for that adapter pictured above.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 6:56:22 PM EDT
[#25]
FWIW, my thread-on can (RCGS) just barely clears the flashlight on my SureFire flashlight handguard. My 3-lug can (Gemtech Raptor) does not. I don't usually run that handguard, though, since I prefer the factory wide, and that works just fine with either can.

The thread-on stays on my 9mm upper or gets used on pistols, while the 3-lug mostly stays with the MP5.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 2:19:16 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm not sure why the question on which handguard.  I'd say get them all.  They are all fairly inexpensive and are changed in literally a matter of seconds.  On the other hand, I also had this dilemma and ended up getting another gun so I wouldn't have to change from classic skinny to classic wide.  I'm not a fan of rails or mlok for mp5s.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top