Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2006 7:21:09 PM EDT
I'm not looking to get one because I have an interest in its historical value, or for a SHTF rifle.  I just think they're cool little guns.  I just want something that can shoot straight, and fairly reliable.  Like I said, I could care less about about matching serials, and all that good stuff.  I'm also not looking to spend a whole lot, so that rules out Fulton Armory.  Which makes are good?  Are any of the commercial M1 carbines worth a shot?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:33:42 AM EDT
[#1]
If you don't plan an spending a lot you've ruled out USGI.  Even beater grade imports are over $500.

Commercial clones hit or miss.  The new Kahr's seem to be good guns.  The older Plainfields and Iver Johnsons are ok.  Universals are junk to be avoided at all costs.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:54:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I ran another 100 rounds through my Kahr M1 Carbine this morning.   It's a great shooter; I'd highly recommend it if you're not looking for something with history/collectible/etc.

Also check out Georgia Arms for good quality .30 carbine ammo at a descent price ($180 per 1000).
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:08:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If you don't plan an spending a lot you've ruled out USGI.  Even beater grade imports are over $500.

Commercial clones hit or miss.  The new Kahr's seem to be good guns.  The older Plainfields and Iver Johnsons are ok.  Universals are junk to be avoided at all costs.  

Thanks to everyone who responded.  Its good to know what to avoid.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:48:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, avoid the Universals.

All the other commercial clones--Fed Ord, Nat Ord, Plainfield, IJ, IMI, Kahr--are, as the other fellow said, hit or miss. They all accept GI parts, or are supposed to. Some of them can often require a bit of tweaking or tuning or just plain old break-in to function well. Usually they can be made to shoot well eventually.

Don't rule out running across a real GI at a bargain price. Nearly every month I see a story on the boards of someone scoring one for well under $500, all the way down to $200. A lot of them seem to be coming out of attics and basements lately, from people who really don't know how much they're actually going for. Keep your eyes and ears open.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top