Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2006 4:16:48 PM EDT
I'd like to have a barrel insert to change my 30-06 barreled Garand into a .308 Garand.

Is there a product out there that you trust for this?

I saw one on eBay not too long ago for just $10 bucks, but no manufacturer was listed.

I also own an M1A, so that is why I want to make the switch.  I want to consolidate on ammo.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 4:25:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't do it, they do not work well.

It is not as easy as just popping in an insert and go shoot.  The chamber should be reamed slightly to conform to the 308 case (dimension is slightly different than 30-06).

A ridge needs to be cut in the throat area where the insert goes.  Then the insert is bonded in place, and a shell is fired to set it.  Leave 24 hours and open the breach.

Problem is the inserts tend to come out when hot, and once reamed for 308, it won't work well for 30-06 again.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 4:26:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'd like to have a barrel insert to change my 30-06 barreled Garand into a .308 Garand.

Is there a product out there that you trust for this?

I saw one on eBay not too long ago for just $10 bucks, but no manufacturer was listed.

I also own an M1A, so that is why I want to make the switch.  I want to consolidate on ammo.

Don't do it.

The only way to safely convert a Garand to .308 is to rebarrel.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 4:56:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Barrel Insert = Bad Accident waiting to happen. Have the barrel replaced and get the Magazine insert to keep 30-06 from finding a way in accidentally.

Chamber insert have been known to work okay or bolt actions. On a Garand if the chamber insert gets stuck to the neck of a ejected round you wont know it until it is too late.

Karsten
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:33:56 PM EDT
[#4]
During the early 1960’s, because of a shortage of M14 rifles, the US Navy attempted to develop a chamber bushing to be installed into M1 Garand rifles to convert them over to 7.62mm (.308) caliber.  The attempt was a failure because the bushing, even through factory engineered and installed, had a dangerous tendency to eject with an empty round casing, allowing the next 7.62mm (.308) round to chamber in a .30 caliber (30-06) chamber, with the resulting big time and very ugly KaBoom!

The use of a .308 chamber bushing in a semi-automatic rifle is very dangerous.  I would assume that this use of this chamber bushing would be ok to use in a bolt-action rifle where the shooter could carefully check the chamber after each round fired.

I am somewhat surprised that the commercial companies selling these chamber busing have not be sued in a state or federal jurisdiction for a product liability action.

I too very much advise against using this .308 chamber bushing in your M1 Garand!  Very dangerous!  If you want a .308 caliber Garand, buy a Springfield Armory; or, have Springfield Armory, Fulton Armory, or another professional armor re-barrel your Garand to .308 caliber.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 7:15:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Just get a 308 Bbl and be done with it.
I've seen the inserts come out in rapid fire,,,,the next round didn't do so good
'Borg
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 6:41:20 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 to everything that's been said.  A .308 barrel is much more inexpensive than a $10 part which could destroy your rifle or land you in the ER.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top