Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/24/2002 11:46:25 PM EST
I know next to nothing about glocks but I want one!

But which model, I always wanted a glock 17 but now Im not sure, should I go with a 10mm or a .40 cal?? the prices are almost the same what are the benefits of each?

Also which models can I get High-cap mags for?

Please keep this just about glocks instead of suggesting other handguns I should get instead.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 12:00:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/25/2002 12:02:20 AM EST by Section_Leader]
Pick a caliber and stick with it. All mine are 9mm and 45 acp. All basically feel the same. Of course the bigger the bullet the less control your going to have. Get a full size one first, after that you end up buying a compact or a baby Glock and you eventually have a lot of them. You can't go wrong with the 17 in 9mm. Was my first also. Remember though, get a single caliber and stick with it. You can put the high cap mags say for your 17 full size 9mm in your 26 sub compact Glock and just have it sticking out off the bottom of the magazine well. I do own colt 1911s also but prefer my glocks to about every thing in the hand gun area. The baby glocks are great for ccw or if your just small like me. You can't go wrong with the full size frames either. The new 3rd generation frames have a lot of accessories that you can add on. Lots of stuff you can add. High cap mags will run you a lot, but are available in all models. Your going to have to look really hard for them though.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 12:05:56 AM EST
You can get hi-caps for all of them, but g17 and g22 mags will be least expensive. 10mm is a great caliber, but ammo is expensive and underloaded. One thing to consider: If you shoot in competition, the 9 should be considerably faster than the 40. The larger rounds recoil is not bad at all, but muzzle flip is bad, compared to a 9.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 12:08:18 AM EST

Originally Posted By ARMED2TEETH:
I know next to nothing about glocks but I want one!

But which model, I always wanted a glock 17 but now Im not sure, should I go with a 10mm or a .40 cal?? the prices are almost the same what are the benefits of each?

The 17 is a good reliable way to go. Apparently some of the other calibers have had various problem with chambers/barels cracking from excess pressure. From what I know this has not happened with the 9mm.

I personally own a G19 (it fits my hand better than a fullsize 17, though as of late I've been thinking about getting a G22.)

I'd probably go with the 17 if I was you. 9mm is cheaper to shoot than 40 or 10mm, provided you're not going to use it for carry (not saying the 9 is useless as a defensive round; after all, part of the reason the 9 is popular witrh the military in northern Europe is that with the hot military issue loads they'll zip through most vests.)
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 2:24:59 AM EST
Decide what your uses are going to be for the pistol and once you know that you will know what caliber you should get and what size pistol to get.

The 10mm is a great pistol but not for the beginner if you want to uset this pistol effectively.

The 45 is also a good pistol but still not for the beginner IMO, not to mention that it isn't the super round everyone tries to make it out to be.

The .40 may be a little much for a beginner as well but still more controllable then the 10mm and the .45. The .40 is my first choice for a gun but since I own two .40 Glocks I am kind of prejudiced about them.

The 9mm is definitely the easiest to shoot and the cheapest out of all your choices but unless you pick one of the super rounds in that caliber it just doesn't stack up against some of the other calibers.

I haven't tried the .357 Sig enough to give you an honest opinion on it. I will say the ammo is still a bit pricey for it.

The size definitely depends on if you plan to carry it or not.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 3:02:43 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/25/2002 3:09:23 AM EST by ipschoser1]
Just a thought but have you considered the Springfield Armory XD? Great guns. www.springfield-armory.com
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 3:23:55 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 3:35:33 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/25/2002 5:13:21 AM EST by Maynard]
Get the 19. Good Glock starter gun that will be easy to sell if you decide you hate the gun. Excellent capacity for a pistol it's size and mine shoots very well. I love my G20 but the 19 is also a great pistol. Easily concealed if you decide to go that route.

For high cap mags go here:

www.ivanhoeoutlet.com/cgi-bin/store/webstore.cgi?page=PRE-BAN+HI-CAP&type=categories&frame=&cart_id=7188594_18258

I bought 5 from them last year and they were top notch.

Link Posted: 7/25/2002 4:18:28 AM EST
If you're looking at concealed carry, the Glock 30 is the way to go. .45 cal, with 10+1 rounds. Very easy to conceal. I've had one for about 6 months and it's my favorite handgun.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 4:53:50 AM EST
If you are not looking for CCW, take a good look at the G35. .40 cal, takes G22 mags (15 rds, you can get used for $50-$60) has a 3.5 trigger, longer sight radius, extended slide release. I have a lot of different GLOCKs, and this is hands down my favorite. You get higher velocity, and everone I have ever lent it to shoots it more accurately than whatever GLOCK they have just been shooting.

Even if you are looking CCW, a lot of people carry 1911's and Barretta's in IWB, etc., and the G35 is about that size.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 5:42:15 AM EST
Get the one that won't KABOOM !! it's called an HK
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 6:35:53 AM EST
Doesn't matter which model you go with, as long as its a Glock!

Glock 17 (9mm) - Cheap to shoot, but not really too powerful (Unless you are in da hood, where its the most powerful handgun in the world)

Glock 22 (.40) - might blow up in your hand

Glock 21 (.45) - mmmm, .45, drool

Glock 31 (.357sig) - Expensive to shoot, but its a fast and accurate round. Recoil might be a problem if you shoot a few hundred rounds at a time.

Glock 20 (10mm) - If you gotta have a high powered round, look no further. Recoil is there, but not much over a .45 or .357.

These are the full size ones, you can get a midsize or "baby Glock" in every caliber I think. Whatever you get, you can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 7:34:14 AM EST
Whatever you end up with for your first Glock, you might as well figure out now which one you want for your second Glock as well. You can't own just one! They are very addictive like ARs.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 8:03:20 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/25/2002 8:04:30 AM EST by Fingers]
I'd recommend the G19 for your first one. Its a good all around choice. Small enough to conceal if you plan on that, fun and easy to shoot and in an inexpensive calibre. Any handgun round is merely adequate for defense so don't get too caught up in the my ammo's better than your ammo arguments. I'd get the one you are comfortable with and can afford to shoot ALOT. Find a range with some rentals and try a few out for yourself. As similar as they all are, you'ld be suprised at how differently they feel in your hand. Also check out www.glocktalk.com for just about everything you ever wanted to know about Glocks.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 9:51:45 AM EST
I'm a huge fan of Glocks! My Glock 22 is accurate, reliable and it holds a bunch of ammo(17+1 with the plus 2 floorplate). I have wanted to get a small Glock for summer carry. I love the concept of the G36. Although the G36 is the same width as the G27. I would get a G27 to go along with my 22, but I am hoping Glock will come out with a more slim version of the 27 just like they did going from the 30 to 36.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 1:15:33 PM EST

Originally Posted By patrickcudd:
I'm a huge fan of Glocks! My Glock 22 is accurate, reliable and it holds a bunch of ammo(17+1 with the plus 2 floorplate). I have wanted to get a small Glock for summer carry. I love the concept of the G36. Although the G36 is the same width as the G27. I would get a G27 to go along with my 22, but I am hoping Glock will come out with a more slim version of the 27 just like they did going from the 30 to 36.

You won't be dissapointed with a G27, I have one for the reasons you stated. I carry my 27 in the summer months under a T-shirt with no problems, and my 22 in the colder months. The best part is that the mags interchange plus you can get different barrels to change calibers with.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 1:23:23 PM EST
My favorite Glock is the 19, but that's just my opinion. There is no wrong choice, you will be happy with any of them. Good luck
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 4:31:11 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 4:53:45 PM EST
Get a Glock if you are planning on storming a foreign beach, using the thing to dig your foxhole, hammer in tent stakes, etc.

I have "Played with" 17, 19, and 21. Why isn't a 20 listed? The friend who owned it, had it blow up in his hand!!!

Now, a word about glock customer service. They GLADLY repaired it to a beautiful condition. Then again, who wants to shoot something that blows up in their hand?

Get a Springfield XD if you have a hankering for a plastic pistol.

My 1911 has never failed me. I am uncertain as to how it would hold up to the "dig a foxhole" test though...
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 5:01:26 PM EST
I have a Glock 19C and love it..I carry it but it is a little big to hide. Get a Comp and you could always put a regular barrel in it. Also go to the Glocktalk site has posted above.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 5:14:40 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/25/2002 5:15:44 PM EST by Ohaiclan]
If your hand is big enough get a .45! Our dept issues Glock 22 .40 cal. If your hand is bigger you can request a Glock 21. I have made the switch from a Glock 22 to a 21. The recoil on the .45 is soo much nicer. The 22 feels like its going ot jump out of your hand.

Our Dept only has problems with the .40 cals. Our main Glock armorer feels that the frame of the 22 doesnt support the power of the .40. We never have problems with the .45 or 9mm. All of the .45 shooters on my SWAT team outshoot the .40 shooters. If you want a good price, check out this place.

www.divinefa.com/glock/glock_handguns.htm
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 5:14:49 PM EST
I like the Glock 17. I have found some decent pricing on NDF hi-caps (or rather standard size) mags. I think there are more 17 mags out there than any other. I believe there have been some well documented issues with Glock's, but I don't know that the 17 has been affected by any of them.
In 9mm, I have always thought a full size pistol was a better bet than a compact. I carry the 17 concealed in a Blade-Tech holster without problem. I should note I'm 6'1" and 200 lbs., if you have a smaller stature consider the 19.

I like the 21 but it is too large to carry concealed. The 30 (compact 45) is still rather wide for carrying.

If this is your first Glock go for the 17. Trust me you'll buy another soon enough.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 5:19:07 PM EST
Love my 23. Nuff said.

Link Posted: 7/25/2002 5:26:28 PM EST
Carry a 30. Very accurate. Shoot a 19 in IDPA Wish it was a 17. (32/34) The Practical tactical guns are in vouge right now. the 3rd gen guns have finger grooves and light rails.
Just looking for a shooter that's cheap to feed? 9mm You can use it for protection. How big are your hands? I shoot the wide grip 30 very well. The 19 is skinny.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 5:52:57 PM EST

Originally Posted By SPECTRE:
Get the one that won't KABOOM !! it's called an HK

Accurate Arms #5 powder has been linked to kabooms in USP40's, as well as Glock 40's, but you knew that, right?

Armed2teeth:
With the Glocks, most kabooms appear in the 20 models, most notably with .40, 10mm, and .45ACP loads, but the .357SIG has also had problems. Part of the problem is people shooting lead reloads and hotter than normal loads with used brass. If you're going to go with the .40S&W, it is very important to stay with factory ammo. Glocks can also fire out of battery, and since the .40, 10mm and .45ACP loads are not fully supported by the chamber of the Glocks, this can cause a kaboom. Therefore it's imperative to keep your Glock clean so that rounds feed properly and completely.

It's also possible for bullet setback, where the bullet gets pushed back in the case by loading and unloading to raise case pressure greatly. Bullet setback of 1/10" can cause pressure to double from 35,000psi to 70,000psi. Brouhaha has posted images of .357SIG rounds that have suffered noticable setback by just being chambered and removed one time, as he demonstrated to me at the last shoot we had.

I own a Glock in .40S&W, the Glock 27 specifically, and I've never had any problems. But I only shoot factory ammo and I keep my Glock as clean as possible. Read the Glock Kaboom FAQ at communities.prodigy.net/sportsrec/glock/gz-glock-kb.html, where most of the above info came from. It's always best to be informed.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 6:00:22 PM EST

Originally Posted By Glock31:
Glock 22 (.40) - might blow up in your hand

.40's have been known to kaboom, including the Glock 22, Glock 23, and Glock 27.

Glock 21 (.45) - mmmm, .45, drool

These too have been known to kaboom.

Glock 31 (.357sig) - Expensive to shoot, but its a fast and accurate round. Recoil might be a problem if you shoot a few hundred rounds at a time.

Funny, these too have been known to kaboom.

Glock 20 (10mm) - If you gotta have a high powered round, look no further. Recoil is there, but not much over a .45 or .357.

What do you know, another pistol/round that has been known to kaboom!

In their defense, however, it should be noted that the Glocks do a damn good job of holding their internals together when they do kaboom, which cannot be said for some other models. But to say it's a problem with just .40S&W is misleading.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 6:06:14 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 6:19:36 PM EST
I'd go with a used G17. That way you don't have much invested and won't take much of a loss when your ready to get serious and step up to the big league and buy a SIG.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 7:24:23 PM EST
I would recommend the 17 as well. This was the original Glock that made the design popular. It is also one of the least complained about Glocks out there. Also, since this gun was first and so many were made, there is a better supply of hi-cap mags for it than any other Glock design. They also tend to be about $10 cheaper than any other Glock hi-cap mag. But if you are not willing to spend the bucks for hi-cap mags, then go with the 19. Afterall, if you are limited to 10 rounds, you might as well get the smaller gun.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 6:11:22 AM EST
Some pic's of my G-19C hope this helps

Forum Link:

Forum Link:

Forum Link:

Forum Link:

Forum Link:

Forum Link:

Link Posted: 7/26/2002 6:57:07 AM EST
My first Glock was a Glockwork's G19. I bought it for CCW, and shot it in IDPA for practice. My favorite Glock is my G34. If your looking at a G17, you might as well get the G34. It has the same size frame as the G17 so it takes the same mags and is just as cocealable as the G17, plus it has a longer sight radius and better trigger.

I do a lot of shooting on a limited budget so I shoot military calibers that I can buy in bulk, primarily 9mm, .223, and .308. The 9mm is CHEAP to shoot and let's me practice more, and will do the job if you can put it where it needs to be.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 7:06:23 AM EST
ARMED2TEETH you said that you know next to nothing about Glocks, I was wondering if you've ever fired one before??

I have owned two Glocks, a 23 and 21. If you have small hands you might like the midsize or small pistols. If you have large hands you might like the fullsize better.

Both that I owned were smooth shooting guns and I never had any trouble with any of them. I got rid of both of them cause I never could get use to the grip with my large hands. The 23 was too small and the 21 had the finger grooves that I didn't find comfortable.

Just make sure that you like the grip. When I was handling them in the gunshop they felt good but they were a different story after I was shooting them for awhile.

If you haven't fired one yet, I suggest that you do before you purchase one just to make sure it fits your hand comfortably when shooting it.

If you like polymer pistols, have you checked out a Springfield XD yet? I have one and love it. Its similar to the glock but for me it has a more comfortable grip. I like it even better now since I put a Hogue wrap around grip with finger grooves on it. Very comfortable.

I might buy a Glock if I can find an older model without the finger grooves. The grooves on the new models are just too close together for my large hands.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 8:30:20 AM EST
The Glock 19 rocks. It shoots accuratly and is easy to control. It eats any ammo I have fed it including Wolf for $90-$105 per 1000rnds. It can use the high capacity G19, G17, and G18(33 rnd) magazines plus the new cheap Glock 10-rounders. It conceals very well.

Best advice though is to go to a range and evaluate different models.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 11:55:59 PM EST

Originally Posted By NightHawk:
I might buy a Glock if I can find an older model without the finger grooves. The grooves on the new models are just too close together for my large hands.

NightHawk - check out skullworks post at: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=136254&page=2

He might have a no finger groove pistol for you!

I prefer the no finger groove frames myself, too.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 6:44:18 AM EST
I would go with the Glock 18c. If you can find one that would be my choice.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 6:47:15 AM EST
I have 5 Glocks and love them all. If I could only keep 1 it would probably be the 23. 13 rounds of .40cal in a compact package can't be beat.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 6:50:46 AM EST
My latest Glock purchase was a G26 and it is a great shooter. It's also a sweet ccw pistol, partnered with one of my G17 mags and it makes an 18 round pocket pistol.....my my!
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 5:19:38 PM EST
I thought pretty hard about it before getting the 19. It carries a lot of rounds (15+2), is cheap to shoot ($11 for 100 Winchester plinking rounds from Wal-Mart), is concealable and lightweight. If you were going to master only one pistol, this would be a good choice. It can do anything. Those 45 guys will do their best to make you thing the round is inadequate, but they are no worse than the 308 guys.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 11:22:30 PM EST
I shoot alot.

I carry a Glock model 20 almost every day. I like the 10mm more than any other caliber on the market. I have always spent a great deal of time researching the balistics of each cartridge. I also research handgun designs for the best possible platform.

Any way, you need to ask yourself a few questions before you buy a firearm. The main question being "What is the primary role for this weapon?".

It takes alot of soul searching to make that first purchase. Mainly because I myself am broke and can not afford to buy one of every firearm. If this is the case for you as well, you have my simpithy.

For the beginner, I would recommend the Glock 19. It is smallish, it fits most hands, holds a fare amount of rounds in preban mags, 9mm ammo is inexspensive, it has very light recoil.

For all other purposses, I would use a Glock 20 in 10mm. The 10mm out proforms the 9mm, 357 mag, 357 sig, .40 s&w, & the .45 acp.

.38 Special = ~250 Ft Lbs
9x19 mm = ~300 Ft Lbs
.357 Mag = ~575 Ft Lbs
.357 Sig = ~550 Ft Lbs
.40 S&W = ~450 Ft Lbs
.45 ACP = ~450 Ft Lbs

10 mm = up to 750 Ft Lbs

Granted these are rough numbers but you get the idea. Not to mention you can get all this in a service sized pistol.

Bottom line is this...

It's going to be your gun... you pick.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 3:58:15 AM EST
What is the purpose of purchasing the "GLOCK"?
CCW, target practice, competition?
Top Top