BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2006 8:30:53 AM EDT
I see there are 3 different models:

8000 Carbine $750 msrp
92 Carbine  $800 MSRP
and regualr Carbine  $850 msrp

I'm guessing that the Carbine is the one to get as it list mag capacity as 17rds when the others are 10rds.

Why the price difference?  If you get an 8000 carbine, can it be readily changed to a regular Carbine?  Can you visually spot model differences in 9mm.  Sorry for the numerous questions.  Thanks to those who can help.

ETA: I called a gunshop and they have one but can't tell me what exact 9mm model it is.  They just said it has a 10rd mag in it.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:35:46 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Why the price difference?

I've wondered the same thing...

If you get an 8000 carbine, can it be readily changed to a regular Carbine?

Yes - there is a changeable magwell insert so that different mag platforms (92, Cougar, the new PX4) can be used in the same carbine (one at a time, of course).

Can you visually spot model differences in 9mm.

Not unless you are VERY familiar with the different inserts, IMHO.  (I only have the 92 set-up & I wouldn't kow how to tell at a glance...)

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:53:47 AM EDT
[#2]
The 92 version is the one already setup to take 92FS/M9 magazines which are readily available, plus when the military ever does start to change over to a new sidearm all there leftovers should go up for sale at sometime. The other 9mm versions are already setup in the mag well to use either Px4 magazines or  Cougar magazines. The coversion to one or the other is about as easy as changing a mag well adapter from what I know, but if you have any of the pistols than buying the model that matched is the smart buy of course.  I bought a 92 version first having always loved the M9 from the Army and 92FS in the years before, but hadn't bought my own yet. I liked it right away as it's very accurate,  has super light recoil, is quick on target and very reliable. With an Aimpoint or Eotech it will be very fast on target as it's so light at 5 3/4 lbs. I ended up buying a commercial M9 to go with it, realized that I have always loved the M9's because they fit me so well and I shoot them so well, so I sold my P226R that didn't as much and bought a 92FS besides. The 92 mags are the easiest to get, well priced and I'm sure to be better in price in time, and there are 30 rounds mags available.
heThe 30's are Promag which I don't have and have read 50/50 reviews on, so use them with a grain of salt till they prove themselves, but that's any mag really.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=825087

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=938507
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:07:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info guys.  Any idea what the mag conversion kits costs if I happen to buy the wrong model?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:24:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info guys.  Any idea what the mag conversion kits costs if I happen to buy the wrong model?

Can't say I do, your best bet would be to talk to BUSA and find out. As for accessories there is Ahouts, Beretta USA themselves and a few others.

http://www.houtsenterprises.com/cx4_beretta.html

http://www.berettausa.com/contact_us.htm

http://www.cx4storm.com/index.aspx?m=53&did=73
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:05:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can't say I do, your best bet would be to talk to BUSA and find out. As for accessories there is Ahouts, Beretta USA themselves and a few others.

http://www.houtsenterprises.com/cx4_beretta.html

http://www.berettausa.com/contact_us.htm

http://www.cx4storm.com/index.aspx?m=53&did=73

Thanks for the links.  I'll take a look.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:03:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Your welcome. Houts has been around for a while, but it seems his prices have gone up too. Cals Sporting Armory has had some stuff too and their prices were good to fair. Good luck in your new acquisition.h.gif

http://www.calssportingarmory.com/berettacx4storm.htm
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:20:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Switching the CX4 from the Cougar mags to the 92 mags is not quite as simple as changing the mag insert.  As I've read it, the mag catch would have to be removed and tweaked.  It's a plastic assembly with a little metal plate.  The metal plate is mounted into one of two or three slots, and it may have to be changed for different magazines.  

If you wanted to go that route, get the one that takes the Cougar mags, as it's cheaper.  The mag insert from Beretta USA shouldn't cost but about $15 shipped.  (part number C5A511 is the mag insert for 92 mags)

I think www.tacticalexcellence.com has a nice pictorial of stripping the CX4 down, and tweaking the mag catch.  

My CX4 is sitting at the dealer... gonna go pick her up tomorrow morning!  w00t!    Soon, I'll be ordering some 20 round magazines, and I'll be happily blasting away with cheap 9mm.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:04:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
...  My CX4 is sitting at the dealer... gonna go pick her up tomorrow morning!  w00t!    Soon, I'll be ordering some 20 round magazines, and I'll be happily blasting away with cheap 9mm.  

Congrats!  I love mine & suspect you will enjoy yours very much.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:07:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...  My CX4 is sitting at the dealer... gonna go pick her up tomorrow morning!  w00t!    Soon, I'll be ordering some 20 round magazines, and I'll be happily blasting away with cheap 9mm.  

Congrats!  I love mine & suspect you will enjoy yours very much.

I picked it up on Saturday.  MAN, I love it!  Haven't shot it, was too dang busy this weekend, and I'm gonna be busy this weekend, too.  It's handy as heck!  Came with one 10 round mag.   Got it for $529 listed as 'used' on Gunbroker, but if it's been fired, my name is Sue!  It's brand spanking new.  Also has one of the side rails on the front already.   The only thing it didn't have was the sight tool.  I'll have to try to get one from Beretta.  

I am impressed with how well it's built, and how easy it is to field strip.  I have a few mags on the way from Midway.  The trigger really ain't that bad, hopefully it will smooth up with a few hundred rounds through her.    
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:42:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Sorry about the bump but I am looking at CX4s for home def. and plinking. I have a couple questions about mags. Are there any .40 S&W high caps? They seem to go for mid $500s at the least. Which seems to be cheaper than the .45s or 9mms. Are there different versions of the .40 or .45 like there are of the 9mm. And one more time, which 9mm CX4s can take 20 rounders?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:08:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Sorry about the bump but I am looking at CX4s for home def. and plinking. I have a couple questions about mags. Are there any .40 S&W high caps? They seem to go for mid $500s at the least. Which seems to be cheaper than the .45s or 9mms. Are there different versions of the .40 or .45 like there are of the 9mm. And one more time, which 9mm CX4s can take 20 rounders?

I believe there are 20 round mags for .40, but I can't remember if it was the 92/96 version or the 8000/cougar.

There is also a version that takes PX4 magazines.  I know it exists for 9mm, not sure about .40 yet, but if it does, I think there will be higher capacity magazines available.  

If you decide on 9mm, you'd want the '90 series' which takes 92 mags.  Magazines are available in 10, 15, 17, 20 and 30 rounds readily.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:36:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I believe there are 20 round mags for .40, but I can't remember if it was the 92/96 version or the 8000/cougar.

There is also a version that takes PX4 magazines.  I know it exists for 9mm, not sure about .40 yet, but if it does, I think there will be higher capacity magazines available.  

If you decide on 9mm, you'd want the '90 series' which takes 92 mags.  Magazines are available in 10, 15, 17, 20 and 30 rounds readily.  

Thanks!

Wow. Well if I get a 9 I will go with that. Do those cost more? If there is a .40 92/96, would there be 15s, 17s, 20s, and/or 30s?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:05:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I think right now the 90 series in 9mm are more expensive, because they're the most popular.

You CAN swap the magazine insert and tweak the mag catch to 'convert' the CX4 to use different magazines... so if you found a killer deal on a CX4 that used the PX4 mags, you could get the 92 mag insert and swap it. (about $15 from Beretta), and possibly save a few bucks.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:48:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I think right now the 90 series in 9mm are more expensive, because they're the most popular.

You CAN swap the magazine insert and tweak the mag catch to 'convert' the CX4 to use different magazines... so if you found a killer deal on a CX4 that used the PX4 mags, you could get the 92 mag insert and swap it. (about $15 from Beretta), and possibly save a few bucks.

Gotcha! Thanks for thne info.A little mod. isnt any big deal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top