Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2014 12:12:07 AM EDT
Curious, which American parts the Tavor uses.  The bbl is clearly marked "made in israel" and the owner's manual refers to 922(r) compliance, anybody know for sure what's made where?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 2:54:39 AM EDT
[#1]
A couple of screws.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:32:50 AM EDT
[#2]
All of the major parts (barrel, bolt, receiver) are made in Israel. Magazine, flash hider, trigger, hammer, sear, and piston are the US made compliance parts.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:24:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Curious, which American parts the Tavor uses.  The bbl is clearly marked "made in israel" and the owner's manual refers to 922(r) compliance, anybody know for sure what's made where?
View Quote
We can't use foreign made mags

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:10:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All of the major parts (barrel, bolt, receiver) are made in Israel. Magazine, flash hider, trigger, hammer, sear, and piston are the US made compliance parts.
View Quote

There
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 1:53:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Although the mag happens to be US made, I don't see anywhere that it's required to be for 922r compliance.  The card that comes with the manual specifically mentions that the flash hider, trigger, hammer, piston,and sear are US made and if you replace them with non-US parts, you may violate 922r.  It says nothing about the magazine.  Given that they are one of the few manufacturers to go into detail about non-US parts, it sees that if the gun requires a US mag, they would have said so.  Besides, there are already 5 compliance parts on the gun.  Seems difficult to imagine that it would require 3 more from the mag.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:07:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:09:01 PM EDT
[#7]
IMHO, with the amount of quality US mags available that are by and large better than anything you'd find overseas, why would you use a non US mag anyway?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Of course you can use foreign magazines.  Who will know or care?  Who cares about 992(r) anyway other than manufacturers and gun store/website commandos?  Please site case law with any rebuttals.
-- Chuck
View Quote
Dunno the case law, but the last/only intelligent ATF agent I've ever run into at work was surprised that I knew about the regulation, and quickly rattled off three cases, one of which was pending at the time (6 months ago) about a guy with a 100% Russian AK with zero compliance parts.  He said that it is rarely the motivating factor for prosecution, but if it's an issue it WILL be used to bury someone.

He didn't seem happy about that case, and said they tried to give the guy several ways by which to make it right, but that the guy decided that being a hardass in front of his buddies outweighed being sent to PMITA prison.  The agent was bitching about the paperwork involved, but that the AUSA pushed for it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:39:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Of course you can use foreign magazines.  Who will know or care?  Who cares about 992(r) anyway other than manufacturers and gun store/website commandos?  Please site case law with any rebuttals.

-- Chuck
View Quote

This....
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:44:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-- Chuck

This....

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:48:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Not sure if this video gives much insight to your specific question but Tim Harmsen from Military Arms Channel just visited IWI in Harrisburg and went on a tour.

ETA: future shipments of Tavors will be with Windowed Pmags instead of the IWI branded ones

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:24:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Good news in that! Webstore should be up next week. That's a lot narrower a timeline than "coming soon." Spare parts will be great.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:13:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Although the mag happens to be US made, I don't see anywhere that it's required to be for 922r compliance.  The card that comes with the manual specifically mentions that the flash hider, trigger, hammer, piston,and sear are US made and if you replace them with non-US parts, you may violate 922r.  It says nothing about the magazine.  Given that they are one of the few manufacturers to go into detail about non-US parts, it sees that if the gun requires a US mag, they would have said so.  Besides, there are already 5 compliance parts on the gun.  Seems difficult to imagine that it would require 3 more from the mag.
View Quote

Michael Kassnar himself (VP of IWI US) verified that a US mag is needed for 922r compliance. See here: https://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=2518.msg20573#msg20573
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:37:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you add a US made for forearm and trigger pack you should theoretically be in the clear.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:55:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Are people really this worried about 922r? Lol. I can see a manufacturer worrying, but I hope people aren't really worried about if they put a foreign made magazine into their gun...
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:26:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Are people really this worried about 922r? Lol. I can see a manufacturer worrying, but I hope people aren't really worried about if they put a foreign made magazine into their gun...
View Quote

No, not really.  I was just thinking about it and curious.  With AKs I like to know whats american made... so I can ditch it ASAP.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:50:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not sure if this video gives much insight to your specific question but Tim Harmsen from Military Arms Channel just visited IWI in Harrisburg and went on a tour.

ETA: future shipments of Tavors will be with Windowed Pmags instead of the IWI branded ones

http://youtu.be/qTxLNElj_wo
View Quote

Thanks for sharing the video. IWI US looks outstanding and I wish them well. Extra bonus that they are shipping with Pmags now. I bought my Tavor back in March and I love it. Can't wait to get some spare parts and swag.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top