Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 10/23/2004 8:40:07 PM EDT
I am heavily considering the purchase of a 50 BMG rifle.  I was wondering what kind of accuracy I can expect out of the Barrett rifles and the ArmaLite AR50, and if those Cobb 50's are being circulated to civies yet, I would appreciate it if someone commented on that as well.

Since it will be a large purchase, I was also thinking about stretching the budget and going Class III to get a 50 BMG can.   Information on prices and sound attenuation as well as the maintenance I should prepare myself for would be additionally appreciated.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:22:13 PM EDT
[#1]
My wife bought a AR50 a few months ago.  Hers is a 50th Anniversary marked one and the brake isn't removeable according to the owners manual.  So I don't think you could add a suppressor to it.  I know you can use a Ops Inc can with a Barrett and probably a Cobb.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:40:37 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
My wife bought a AR50 a few months ago.  Hers is a 50th Anniversary marked one and the brake isn't removeable according to the owners manual.  So I don't think you could add a suppressor to it.  I know you can use a Ops Inc can with a Barrett and probably a Cobb.

The brake is removable. You need a 3/16" spanner wrench to loosen the nut and a torch to break down the locktite. Back a two or three years ago guys were really wanting the old style brakes and there was alot of swapping going on. USMC_LB even ended up with a Serbu that has an Armalite brake installed.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 3:37:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I am heavily considering the purchase of a 50 BMG rifle.  I was wondering what kind of accuracy I can expect out of the Barrett rifles and the ArmaLite AR50, and if those Cobb 50's are being circulated to civies yet, I would appreciate it if someone commented on that as well.

Since it will be a large purchase, I was also thinking about stretching the budget and going Class III to get a 50 BMG can.   Information on prices and sound attenuation as well as the maintenance I should prepare myself for would be additionally appreciated.  Thanks!

45AUTO, I know Barrett and Cobb both can have CANS on them. Cobb's website shows one of their .50's in ODgreen DuraCoat with a CAN on it. I don't know how a Barrett feels with a CAN on it but I have shot a Cobb with a muzzle brake and then with a CAN on it. Muzzle braked shooting felt like I was shooting an M14 rifle very comfortable and when supppressed it felt like a shooting a 12GA magum 3" slug. Go to www.cobb50.com and check it out. I think the rifle is around 7K and the can is around 1K.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 3:40:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I though Cobb rifles have always been available to the civilian market, have you heard something I have not? I know last time I called over at Cobb they said they had an overseas govt. military contract but they were still shipping rifles to FFL's.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top