Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 10/23/2004 7:40:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/23/2004 7:42:04 PM EST by FortyFiveAutomatic]
I am heavily considering the purchase of a 50 BMG rifle. I was wondering what kind of accuracy I can expect out of the Barrett rifles and the ArmaLite AR50, and if those Cobb 50's are being circulated to civies yet, I would appreciate it if someone commented on that as well.

Since it will be a large purchase, I was also thinking about stretching the budget and going Class III to get a 50 BMG can. Information on prices and sound attenuation as well as the maintenance I should prepare myself for would be additionally appreciated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:22:13 PM EST
My wife bought a AR50 a few months ago. Hers is a 50th Anniversary marked one and the brake isn't removeable according to the owners manual. So I don't think you could add a suppressor to it. I know you can use a Ops Inc can with a Barrett and probably a Cobb.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 5:40:37 AM EST

Originally Posted By gotm4:
My wife bought a AR50 a few months ago. Hers is a 50th Anniversary marked one and the brake isn't removeable according to the owners manual. So I don't think you could add a suppressor to it. I know you can use a Ops Inc can with a Barrett and probably a Cobb.

The brake is removable. You need a 3/16" spanner wrench to loosen the nut and a torch to break down the locktite. Back a two or three years ago guys were really wanting the old style brakes and there was alot of swapping going on. USMC_LB even ended up with a Serbu that has an Armalite brake installed.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:37:19 AM EST

Originally Posted By FortyFiveAutomatic:
I am heavily considering the purchase of a 50 BMG rifle. I was wondering what kind of accuracy I can expect out of the Barrett rifles and the ArmaLite AR50, and if those Cobb 50's are being circulated to civies yet, I would appreciate it if someone commented on that as well.

Since it will be a large purchase, I was also thinking about stretching the budget and going Class III to get a 50 BMG can. Information on prices and sound attenuation as well as the maintenance I should prepare myself for would be additionally appreciated. Thanks!

45AUTO, I know Barrett and Cobb both can have CANS on them. Cobb's website shows one of their .50's in ODgreen DuraCoat with a CAN on it. I don't know how a Barrett feels with a CAN on it but I have shot a Cobb with a muzzle brake and then with a CAN on it. Muzzle braked shooting felt like I was shooting an M14 rifle very comfortable and when supppressed it felt like a shooting a 12GA magum 3" slug. Go to www.cobb50.com and check it out. I think the rifle is around 7K and the can is around 1K.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:40:28 AM EST
I though Cobb rifles have always been available to the civilian market, have you heard something I have not? I know last time I called over at Cobb they said they had an overseas govt. military contract but they were still shipping rifles to FFL's.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Top Top