Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2015 6:10:32 PM EDT
which one is best/quietest? I currently have an octane 9 HD and now understand why they make 9mm cans in smaller diameter.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:13:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Multimount, it works well enough, but I wanted something smaller so I'm rolling my own.  Submitted the stamp back in June, so hopefully it'll be approved next month.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:14:52 AM EDT
[#2]
tirant 9
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:42:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
tirant 9
View Quote

Since the Rant 9 is the only 9mm can I own I will have to agree.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Not sure why you guys think the Ti-Rant 9 is 1.25"...
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:03:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Not sure why you guys think the Ti-Rant 9 is 1.25"...
View Quote

Yup. It's at least 1.35.

OP, look at the Gemtech GM9. I have one, and its pretty quiet. I can't tell the difference between it and my friends Multimount.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:57:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Gemtech GM-9, AAC Illusion, and Surefire Ryder seem to be the most popular factory 1.25" offerings.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:38:17 PM EDT
[#7]
If I were going for a 1.25" OD can right now- Id be looking for a Surefire Ryder 9 Ti. I will be getting one down the road.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:42:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If I were going for a 1.25" OD can right now- Id be looking for a Surefire Ryder 9 Ti. I will be getting one down the road.
View Quote

May I ask why?  Have you seen reviews or meter results on it yet?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:47:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Why 1.25?

I can certainly understand shorter than the typical 8-9" but what benefit is to be gained from a smaller diameter?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:00:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why 1.25?

I can certainly understand shorter than the typical 8-9" but what benefit is to be gained from a smaller diameter?
View Quote

1.25 cans have a much slimmer feel. I can understand why it would make a difference for someone on a pistol.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:01:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Remember reading on here, it was 133dB I believe. Dealers price was $700. Another member posted photos. I like the way it comes apart, assembles. Like the fit and finish of it. I like that its a smaller diameter so don't necessarily need TALL sights.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:13:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Remember reading on here, it was 133dB I believe. Dealers price was $700. Another member posted photos. I like the way it comes apart, assembles. Like the fit and finish of it. I like that its a smaller diameter so don't necessarily need TALL sights.
View Quote

On most pistols, a 1.25" can will still occlude the factory sights. So this isn't really a very good reason to go for a 1.25 can, and once you get tall sights, they will clear even the standard size 1.375" cans. Or you could just shoot with standard sights using both eyes open and look "through" the can. Either way, no real advantage to a 1.25.

The smaller diameter does, however, have a noticeably slimmer profile.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:47:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I could see a larger than 1.25 can limiting the lights you can mount on a pistol rail.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:07:07 PM EDT
[#14]
The 1.25" cans also have the advantage of fitting under the slim rails in use these days when used on AR9s
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:09:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I could see a larger than 1.25 can limiting the lights you can mount on a pistol rail.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

How?  On a compact gun?  My 1.35" can doesn't in anyway interfere with a light on my full size.

Quoted:

1.25 cans have a much slimmer feel. I can understand why it would make a difference for someone on a pistol.

Well, I'm sure it feels slimmer, because it is slimmer, but the reduction in performance compared to reducing the length for a similar reduction of weight seems counter productive to me.  I.E. I would rather have a 6" long 1.35" can than a 7" long 1.25.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:09:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The 1.25" cans also have the advantage of fitting under the slim rails in use these days when used on AR9s
View Quote

That, is a good point I hadn't considered.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:40:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
which one is best/quietest? I currently have an octane 9 HD and now understand why they make 9mm cans in smaller diameter.
View Quote

Wait a few weeks and we will find out.

Illusion, Ryder are just coming to market, add in GM-9 and a good comparison will be made. I will have all three in my hands in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:45:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

How?  On a compact gun?  My 1.35" can doesn't in anyway interfere with a light on my full size.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your sample size is what? One?

Some lights are slimmer. I have a IR laser that hits a 1.375 can, but not a 1.25

I prefer the 1.25 and welcome the move back. 1.25 still provides good suppression and has a smaller, nimbler feel. There are more sight options on top that work too.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Surefire listed meter data in this thread:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_20/444185_SF_ryder_9mm_Ti_is_here_.html&page=2
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:30:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Some lights are slimmer. I have a IR laser that hits a 1.375 can, but not a 1.25

I prefer the 1.25 and welcome the move back. 1.25 still provides good suppression and has a smaller, nimbler feel. There are more sight options on top that work too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, I was thinking the complaint was physical interference with a WML, and not the different shadows created by the two diameters.  I didn't realize that was the complaint until you mentioned blocking the laser.  I couldn't picture how any 1.35 or 1.375 can would physically interfere with a light that a 1.25 wouldn't.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:03:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Sorry, I was thinking the complaint was physical interference with a WML, and not the different shadows created by the two diameters.  I didn't realize that was the complaint until you mentioned blocking the laser.  I couldn't picture how any 1.35 or 1.375 can would physically interfere with a light that a 1.25 wouldn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes this is even more of an issue on black box type cans such as  osprey

We  will see how much room illusion offers   1.25 but most of it is below bore.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:04:01 AM EDT
[#22]
By way of comparison, these three 9mm cans are 1.375”, 1.25” and .98”.  A .125” difference doesn’t sound like much but it is very noticeable in hand.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:25:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because you can't see your sights or because it's heavy?

The Osprey is pretty fucking awesome.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#24]
5 years ago everyone couldn't abandon 1.25" cans fast enough because the 1.375" cans were so vastly quieter. It makes me chuckle to see all these people lining up to buy them now. I think their applications are real but limited.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:00:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
5 years ago everyone couldn't abandon 1.25" cans fast enough because the 1.375" cans were so vastly quieter. It makes me chuckle to see all these people lining up to buy them now. I think their applications are real but limited.
View Quote

lol ... indeed.

The 45-k can thread:  "Man, you don't want that - 133 dB is LOUD!"

The 1.25" 9mm can thread "Cool, can't wait to get my 131 dB can!"
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:28:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

lol ... indeed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol ... indeed.

I wouldn't want either as my first/only can but I think they'd make good additions.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:55:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I wouldn't want either as my first/only can but I think they'd make good additions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol ... indeed.

OK. I guess I'll see if I feel that way after I get my first can.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:22:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol ... indeed.

ok ok
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top