Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2004 9:36:12 PM EDT
No firearms yet, but plan on picking up a few when I return from deployment.  I'm probably gonna need a 8 gun safe for future expansion.  Anyways, I'm I going to just have to shop local to find a good deal or what?  Shopping online doesn't seem to smart since shipping is outrageous.  Anyways, what kind of price range am i looking at?  I really want to keep costs low on this.  Dont need any sort of fireproofing or anything like that.  Or should I just look at getting individual locking cases to start out with untill I get a bigger collection, that way I can just bring the case to the range with me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 2:00:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Sam's, Costco, or any other local wholesale place that you have.

Just remeber to check to see how big of a safe you can get threw the house door, and buy the biggest one that will fit threw.  

Also, helps to have friends to help you get it unloaded from your truck and in place.  Sam's will fork lift it into your truck, but it all yours from that point.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:49:34 AM EDT
[#2]
The Holmak type 8-gun safe is less than $100 and add a decent amount of casual deterence against thieves and tampering.  It's not a strong safe, in the sense it can be broken into with minimal effort and tools.  But just the same, it prevents a simple smash and grab by kids or junkies.

Edited to add: The above safe is typically found at Sports Authority or at Walmart during hunting season.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:44:16 AM EDT
[#3]
sweet, i'll search around those places.. figured there had to be a cheap one somewhere.  some day when i actually own a house and a decent collection, i'll worry about  a fancy safe, but something like that will do for now.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:25:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Im searching for one myself.  Thinking of the Sams one but hoping to find a good deal on a large one.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:15:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The Holmak type 8-gun safe is less than $100 and add a decent amount of casual deterence against thieves and tampering.  It's not a strong safe, in the sense it can be broken into with minimal effort and tools.  But just the same, it prevents a simple smash and grab by kids or junkies.

Edited to add: The above safe is typically found at Sports Authority or at Walmart during hunting season.

Lookout for the tubular locks on some of these lower end models.  There's been a lot of doubt cast on the actual security of those types of lock lately.  A steel gun cabinet for only $100-200 may sound good, but if it can't stand up to a $0.59 Bic pen, its really not worth the money.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:33:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I have this one, paid $200 at Cabelas, sells for $289. It's 10 guns and sits in a corner not taking up too much space. Homak
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:35:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have this one, paid $200 at Cabelas, sells for $289. It's 10 guns and sits in a corner not taking up too much space. Homak
a1460.g.akamai.net/f/1460/1339/6h/www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Item/22/35/18/i223518vr01.jpg

How tough is that?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:39:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Wheres a good place to pick up a gun safe?

If you can get your dickbeaters underneath it, I'd suggest lifting from the bottom.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:48:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
a1460.g.akamai.net/f/1460/1339/6h/www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Item/22/35/18/i223518vr01.jpg

How tough is that?

I think it's pretty solid considering what it cost. I don't have any high buck guns either.
I just want to keep a-holes from breaking in but a pro will have no problem. Very low crime rate around here since I have 1 deputy and the county sheriff for neighbors.
Compared to the $3,000+ safe it's no match.
heres the specs:

Homak 10-Gun Corner Security Cabinet
This new 16-gauge steel corner cabinet is ideal for storing 10 long guns without taking up an abundance of space. It has five adjustable shelves located in the middle of the unit for storing valuables. For security it's equipped with two key-coded anti-drill locks at the top and bottom. Green baked enamel surface.
Dimensions: 55" x 24" x 24". 34" across.
Weight: 150 lbs.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:50:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Im going to see if I can look at one around here.  I want something that is atleast kinda touch, can stand up to a few min with drill/hammer/crowbar.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:55:36 PM EDT
[#11]
It would take a while to dig mine out. Bolted to the floor and I built a floor to ceiling wall with a heavy duty locked door so it looks like a small closet
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:27:17 PM EDT
[#12]

If you fill it with ARs and AKs it will probably only hold half the guns it says it will. They base the capacity on narrow rifles w/o pistol grips or carry handles.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:30:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I built my own gun vault/storm shelter in the corner of my basement and I'm quite happy with it, now I just need to finish it the rest of the way.  If you have access to a basement I suggest building your own as it's easy and you'll never have to wish that you should've bought a "bigger" safe.  For the money and what you can use it for there's no match between compared to a standing gun safe.  Good luck in your decision!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:30:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#15]
My brother got his from Menards for 300.

Do you have Menards where you live?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:50:13 PM EDT
[#16]
or go to the local basspro
Bass Pro Shops
Outdoor World
6112 W. Grand Avenue
Gurnee, IL 60031
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:04:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Wally World has a pretty nice Sentry combo lock 14 gun model for $329...just picked one up myself last week.  It weighs 315lbs, so it's much heavier duty than the Homaks I've seen.  Realistically, you can expect to get about AR/FAL type guns in one of these...more if you don't have lots of stuff with pistol grips.  I got 9 long guns, including a couple of ARs, and my varmint class bench gun that takes up a lot of room.  

I have another Sentry that's a little smaller than this one, and paid $299 for that one 2 years ago.  The one I got last week is bigger and nicer, so I'd say it's an excellent value.  Once again, I managed to get 9 long guns in that one, but it's kinda cramped lol.  One or 2 more safes, and I'll have all my stuff locked up hehehe.  

I think Bass Pro sells Sentry safes as well, iirc.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:11:40 PM EDT
[#18]
And, the last that I knew, the Home Depots in this area sell the Sentry 10 and 14 gun safes as well.

As others have mentioned, so does WalMart.

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 1:48:20 PM EDT
[#19]
You might want to look at the Zanotti Armor Safe. These come in six separate pieces that fit together and are bolted from the inside. You don't have to worry about carrying a 400 or 925 pound safe up to your third floor walk-up. You can do it in six trips of 110 pounds each. Biggest safe has a 175 pound piece...let the wife carry that one. Then...if you finally buy a house, unload the safe, pull the pins and repeat process. Try http://www.Zanottiarmorsafes.com .
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 2:57:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I picked up a Stack On 16 gun model at Dick's Sporting Goods. They had some in their flyer but when I got there, they were all gone. The kid, maybe 17yo, on the floor was as much help as you can guess so I asked for a manager. The manager was a hunter and asked me if I wanted the floor model. It had a couple scratches on one side from being moved around the store but Like I care ? He knocked $75 off the price and gave me double points on my Dick's card. It a double door, 16 gun model and the sad thing is that it's already full and I need to buy another one. OK, I'm not sad that I need to buy another one. Wherever you go, ask if they have a scratch and dent kicking around. Not many guys I know have their safes on display for all the world to see. That Browning high gloss looks pretty but if you don't mind some scratches, you may save a few buck that  could go towards another gun or two.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 2:59:31 PM EDT
[#21]
I build custom grouted block vaults. I can build a very nice, and very difficult to break into, fireproof vault for about the same $$ as a decent safe. They can even double as a safe room if large enough.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:35:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
No firearms yet, but plan on picking up a few when I return from deployment.  I'm probably gonna need a 8 gun safe for future expansion.  Anyways, I'm I going to just have to shop local to find a good deal or what?  Shopping online doesn't seem to smart since shipping is outrageous.  Anyways, what kind of price range am i looking at?  I really want to keep costs low on this.  Dont need any sort of fireproofing or anything like that.  Or should I just look at getting individual locking cases to start out with untill I get a bigger collection, that way I can just bring the case to the range with me.

Why wouldn't you want a fireproof safe ?  I worry more about  the chances of a fire than theft.  I picked up a Liberty safe for $ 950.00 rated at 1200 F for 30 minutes, which I think is the minimum protection.  What I did was check all the local shops to find one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top