Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2006 4:02:32 PM EDT
I'd like to buy a rifle that's as close to the M-14 I qualified with back in 1967 as possible? I'd consider an upgraded model as long as it looked like the US Army's M-14.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'd like to buy a rifle that's as close to the M-14 I qualified with back in 1967 as possible? I'd consider an upgraded model as long as it looked like the US Army's M-14.

The best deal and closest to the M14 you qualified with back in 67 are not neccessarily in the same rifle. The closest today would be the LRB goverment model as it does have the only forged US receiver made today using all usgi parts made into a M14 style rifle you can buy. The biggest downside is that it is also one of the most expensive. The best deal on a M14 style rifle that would be as close as you can get for the least money would be an older M1A with a usgi chromelined barrel and all usgi parts except for the receiver. They can be found in the market places of various forums, sometimes on Gunbroker, Auction Arms, and GunsAmerica. The LRB you can just order if you want as with the Fulton who still uses alot of usgi parts on there rifles, but you'll definitely pay more for it. You can also buy a fake selector switch to fill that empty spot on the rifle in a usgi stock.

LRB

Edited in: The used Springfield M1A with a usgi barrel and all usgi parts could actually be seen as a little closer to usgi if you think about it, as an LRB would still have a aftermarket barrel and flash supressor were as the M1A would only have the receiver.

Here's a good deal at $1250 when I'm posting it, but may not have as much usgi parts as others. That still doesn't mean it doesn't look it and it's probably a much better shooter than a standard M1A or LRB Goverment model.

M1A gunbroker

1more
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:38:17 PM EDT
[#2]
LRB Arms is telling customers presently that its receivers will be available in three to four months.  IMHO, I would jump on that Gunbroker ad for M1A serial number 22186 posted by Achilles1.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:10:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the help. I just completed the buy on the National Match Springfield Armory M1A for $1525. I can hardly wait for it. I really loved shooting this rifle in BCT at Ft. Jackson. Then the Army gave me one of a series of M-16s and sent me to Vietnam. I tried to shoot at distances of 200 yards with the M-16A1 and was always frustrated. Now I know why. On the other hand, the M-16 served me well at close range, after they modified the bore, bolt, buffer spring and flash suppressor. I just knew I should be able to get better accuracy out of the 5.56 Nato round than I was getting. Thanks again for the help and for bearing with this old grunt as he reminices.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:02:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks for the help. I just completed the buy on the National Match Springfield Armory M1A for $1525. I can hardly wait for it. I really loved shooting this rifle in BCT at Ft. Jackson. Then the Army gave me one of a series of M-16s and sent me to Vietnam. I tried to shoot at distances of 200 yards with the M-16A1 and was always frustrated. Now I know why. On the other hand, the M-16 served me well at close range, after they modified the bore, bolt, buffer spring and flash suppressor. I just knew I should be able to get better accuracy out of the 5.56 Nato round than I was getting. Thanks again for the help and for bearing with this old grunt as he reminices.

All right Cliph, glad to see you join the M14 world again, and with a National Match M1A too, that's a great way to go about it. I'm a not as old, old grunt myself and would have loved to have had a M14 while I was in, but my old unit didn't start to get them back and up running till this war. Oh well, you can't have everything. .........................(wait a minute, yeah I can, if it's up to me now saving and buying it, huh, what do you know.)
Please give us a range report when you get it to the range so we can know how you did.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top