Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2001 6:24:06 PM EDT
I'd love to get my hands on some steel plate to shoot at various ranges with some SS109 I just picked up.  Where the heck does one find that kind of stuff, preferably cheap?  I saw a buttload of the stuff while visiting Iowa a few weeks ago around some train tracks... but now I'm home in Las Vegas and have no idea where to look.  Is there any industry in particular that might have some of that as scrap laying around?

Suggestions anyone?
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:41:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Could check out some auto salvage yards for brake rotors.  You would be surprised, some metal scrap/fabrication shops will chop off a finger for a good piece of steel.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 5:43:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Gunbert:

Checkout the gold mines in your area.  They'll use 1/2 to 1.5 in hardened and abrasion resistant steel as liners in chutes etc.  You might also ask gravel pits, batch plants, and anyplace that will be digging in the dirt.

For the most part, this stuff needs to be torch or plasma cut.

HTH....SRM
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 5:56:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Lotboy and I had these and other gongs cut from 3/8" Armor.  they will easily handle thousands of rounds of SS109.

www.heflinsteel.com/
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 7:25:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Local club uses the discarded wear plates from bulldozers.  It's L-shaped and they just torch cut it into free standing targets which can be knocked down with solid hits.  Get real pitted up, but seem to last for years.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 11:18:26 AM EDT
[#6]
If making them yourself becomes a headache, remember AntiUSSA and Grin&Barret make metal targets.  For the life of me I can't remember the website but you might try Castle Arms' site.

I've got a couple of their target setups and they stand up to lots of abuse.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 7:50:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Try looking for a place that works on bulldozers, pans, and large dumps. T1 plate is very common on heavy equipment. Gotta ask especially for T1 for they also use some stuff on dozers that is much harder but is so brittle that it will break when hit with a hammer. Ask for scrap pieces.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 3:51:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info, it gives me a few places to try...

MarkM, how much did you guys pay for those plates?   The link was great for information, but my pockets aren't as deep as uncle sam's.  I can't imagine mil-spec armor is cheap, ya know?  Or maybe I'm wrong, at least with the 3/8" stuff.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 3:59:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I usually get steel off my construction site. Saves them the trouble of throwing it away.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 4:31:45 PM EDT
[#10]
the 12" X 12" X 3/8" plates were $30.00 each. we ordered about $300.00 worth of gongs.  i think that heflin has a minimum order amount. maybe lotboy would sell you one of his Square plates.  the realestate stands are only $12.00 each.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 4:35:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Lotboy, if yer listening, and are willing to part with onw of your plates, email me.

thanks, MarkM
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 4:43:47 PM EDT
[#12]
It's everywhere around here. Get it from any commercial pipe & steel supply company, of which LA has many. On my range I have a 4' x 8' x 1" steel plate. I used to have a 3/8" but the ammo that I shot years ago punched holes through it eventually. Have the 1" plate angled so that rounds are deflected into a sand trap on ground. That way plate is not all tore up by rounds like the M855. But like others mentioned. Scrap yards might be a good source.

Have access to a sheet that is 2" thick but have no way of handling it now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top