Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2002 12:37:18 PM EDT
Hey guys, where can reloaders get the same sort of "tar" sealant that is used on M193 spec rounds?

Is the same stuff used for primers and case mouths or are they 2 different sealants??

Any help is greatly appreciated....
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 2:31:35 PM EDT
[#1]
make your own if you want to......

thin some clear laquer, add a bit of coloring if you want & brush it or dab it on......

it's a total waste of time, i once did it, thats why i know......
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 2:57:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Fingernail polish should work ok.  I've used whatever color was handy & cheap, a female friend had a whole bag of misc Mary K/Avon etc that she was tossing out so I glommed all the nail polish.  She gave me a funny look until I explained..... I might wear black or blood red come Halloween as part of a costume but pink??
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 4:08:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Nail polish? Hmmmm, never thought of that before, but I guess that might just work! Maybe there is a use for Avon afterall! LOL. I may have to stock up the next time my cousin comes by.
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 9:40:33 PM EDT
[#4]
OK, well lets say nail polish isn't exactly "mil-spec", what does IMI or Federal use? Its not laquer, it seems more like a tar substance.

I'd really like to know where to get the real deal stuff???

But, Thanks for all your help so far!!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 8:18:00 AM EDT
[#5]
QS,

do a search on LC Arsenal, i read an article posted somewhere about LC & there was quite a spread on the "how" of making ammo, you might find somthing there.......
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 8:41:15 AM EDT
[#6]
tarry case neck sealant = asphaltum

back when i worked as a SCUBA instructor, my old boss who owned the shop used clear nail polish to seal the primers and case necks of the handgun cartridges he used in his spearfishing powerheads.  he had used this technique since the 1950's.  never failed.

nail polish worked at depths of at least 100'.

Link Posted: 8/18/2002 7:52:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I have to second Scott and Randall on the nail polish.  Any color is fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top