Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2006 6:59:11 AM EDT
I'm looking for an M1A new or used nothing really fancy just a stock 22 inch barrel with any type of stock. I was thinking of getting the LAR-10 but I might have the money to go with the rifle I've always wanted a M1A.

Advice also is it better just to spend the money on the NM or is it not worth it if your not going to shoot any type of matches? Also how much more are the NM then the standard M1a's?
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 7:05:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 5:31:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
A local just bought in a standard Springfield Armory M1A for me to sell.  Regular M1A, walnut stock and some crappy scope. I know it wasnt fired more than 50 times.  Send me an email if your interested in pricing and pics. [email protected]

Thanks I'll keep you in mind!! I'm waiting on some money that I placed in a savings to get to me so I can buy the rifle.

So no one else knows a good place to buy a M1A???
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 9:37:09 PM EDT
[#3]
The EE usually has some good rifles, along with the other forums that have marketplaces (battlerifles, etc.). Also, check gunbroker. If you know what you are looking for, you can find some pretty good deals.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 8:35:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The EE usually has some good rifles, along with the other forums that have marketplaces (battlerifles, etc.). Also, check gunbroker. If you know what you are looking for, you can find some pretty good deals.

Thanks I've checked the EE  and IM a few people and also checked out gunbroker he had a few nice ones going for the price I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 2:56:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/19/2006 6:55:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
tayous 1, you haven't given much of a picture of your goals for the rifle, so it's hard to answer exactly.

I'm going to proceed on the assumption that you want a rifle for personal defense and possibly for some competition shooting eventually.  Maybe a little hunting.  I'm figuring cost is a factor, also.

Here's the straight story; no B.S.:

If I were you, I'd get a rifle from Springfield Armory, the older the better as the older ones seem to have a higher percentage of USGI parts.  Any non-GI parts on the one you get can be swapped out, but some, like the op-rod, are getting expensive.  I'd want a standard, GI, chrome-lined barrel that with decent care will last 20,000 rds before it has to be replaced.  Non-GI barrels shoot-out of Match accuracy levels a lot sooner, maybe in as little as 5,000 rds.  Not that they're completely shot out, mind you,  just no longer at Match levels of accuracy.  Forget the expensive wood, and go with a GI synthetic stock that won't swell and change zero when the temp/humidity changes, and it paints/camos easily.  Pay close attention to the muzzle, as improper cleaning can bugger it up, and your accuracy along with it.  Good news is that if the buggering is not too bad, a re-crowning, which is cheap, will fix your problem.
Once you get the rifle, learn how to shoot it from all positions into an inch, with iron sights, at 25M.
After you can do that, get a trigger job.  Any NM bells and whistles can easily be done later as time and money permit.  Some NM mods can reduce reliability, such as tight chambers.
Heavy NM-contoured barrels prohibit Scout-style mounting of optics, the only way to go on an M1A or Garand, IMHO, and I've BTDT.  Heavy, too.

Keep it simple and as GI as possible, and you won't go wrong, as long as you do your part and learn how to shoot it.  Go to www.fredsm14stocks.com and order his "Guide To Becoming A Rifleman", and read it front to back a couple of times, then go practice.

If you do what I say, and practice, you will own the finest Main Battle Rifle ever made, and, again, if you read the Guide and PRACTICE, you'll be in the top 5% percent of shooters this side of Camp Perry.

There's a lot of NM rifles out there that people are selling off because the AR is out-doing them at the ranges.  That's fine, but the M1A is a better real-world Battle Rifle.  The range isn't the real world, and far from it.   Maybe they're worn out, maybe they're not.  Don't pay for NM stuff you don't need, and don't want.  I have a Super Match that I wish had a GI barrel, so I know what I'm talking about.

If you need more info, don't hesitate to IM me.  

Thanks for the advice!! I'll try looking for an older M1A might be a little hard to find but if you say there better built then the new ones then thats fine by me I'll just dig deeper. Also I've seen what a 5.56 does and it is not a round for killing  (Hell just read Blackhawk down) Thats why I became a machine gunner the smallest round I shot was the 7.62.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 4:42:02 PM EDT
[#7]
As sugested the EE on here, thats where I got mine. You might also look at the PX over on M14 forum and take a look at Glock Talk, they have some occasionally. if you decide to go with new Springfield has a lifetime warrenty so no worries. Any problems it would have would more than likely show up in the first 500 rounds anyway.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 11:58:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks I've been finding a lot of the M1A Socom 16 for sale with only 100 to 500 rd through them is there a problem with them?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 12:29:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks I've been finding a lot of the M1A Socom 16 for sale with only 100 to 500 rd through them is there a problem with them?

Reduced range as compared to a std-length barrel, Iron sight calibrations are no longer correct, dramatically increased muzzle blast and flash.

The fact that so many owners are "unloading" theirs says something.

I was looking to pick one of them up but I keep looking at it and it just does not look as nice as the scout and then the problems I've heard they been having and yes then mostly reduced range.

I Just want to ask as I've seen them a lot are the China made M-14 any good at all? I've been seeing a lot of them and it is kind of tempting for $800 to get one and then have a whole lot of money to spend on Mags and ammo but I'm not sure if it's worth it. I know nothing about them. Don't want to save up for 6 years and get a lot of ammo and mags but a crappy rifle.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:33:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 1:17:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top