Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2002 7:20:09 PM EDT
What happened to Oly in the industry forums section?  
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#1]
when a company dont buck up teh monthly fee (100 i think) they lose hteir advertising
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 10:44:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I sort of was thinking that.  But why would they think that a good business move?
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 11:01:15 AM EDT
[#3]
They took a lot of heat in the forum.  Some of it was deserved.  I wouldn't want to pay $100 per month to listen to complaints.z
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 3:16:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What happened to Oly in the industry forums section?  

Oly is next to Bud and Bud lite in the refrigerated section of your grocery store.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 3:24:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
They took a lot of heat in the forum.  Some of it was deserved.  I wouldn't want to pay $100 per month to listen to complaints.z

Hey they may have taken heat in the forum... BUT if their marketing VP was smart he/she/it would realize that the criticism is still there. Just because they pull out (read that bury their heads in the sand) doesn't change the market's perception of their product(s). If anything it reinforces the impression that they are an unresponsive manufacturer who does NOT care about their customer. Their executive management should also realize that the feedback gleaned from this forum would cost them millions in focus study and research costs.

But then again, what do I know. Maybe they really don't give a shit. In which case, they deserve to die the death they eventually will as self-build projects become more accessible and easier for people... the lower-end, value buyers who would be in Oly's price range for a new gun purchase.

People got to learn the hard way. Only stupid people learn from their own mistakes. Truly smart people learn from OTHER PEOPLE'S mistakes.

Link Posted: 1/30/2002 3:29:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Concur with the above.

Oly has had poor customer service in the past,  combined with a product of spotty quality.

Ignoring criticism to save $100 per month is about what I would expect form Oly -shortsighted.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 3:51:07 PM EDT
[#7]

BUT if their marketing VP was smart he/she/it would realize that the criticism is still there...

BenDover, I understand what you're saying.  I was speaking from Tom's point of view.  Why would he go to bat to convince his boss to spend the $100 per month only to be beat-up?  In his position, I wouldn't.  I persistently gave him a hard time for several weeks about my AR with a bolt that won't close over an inserted mag.  He must dread going to work each day.z
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 3:59:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
BUT if their marketing VP was smart he/she/it would realize that the criticism is still there...

Don't forget that behind their responses, there is a responder!  There is a salaried person responding to our abuse, which they might find dispatching him/her/it towards another company goal is more conducive to a responsible company's objective.  Just because we don't see someone to berate doesn't mean they aren't monitoring what's going on here.  

Anyway, what's wrong with Oly products?  I've never used any, but was thinking about buying one of their uppers next summer, please tell me what type of product they sell so I steer clear if neccessary.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:09:00 PM EDT
[#9]
IF Oly did pull out from the manufacture's forum for marketing or cash-flow reasons I think they made a big mistake, and should correct it as soon as they can.

I purchased my first AR, an Oly PCR4, based upon three criteria:
1   After reading probably a thousand topics and responses in all of the manufacture's forums it seemed to me that Oly had about as many problems as "ABC", but that there was always Tom answering the questions.  Also, when someone had what seemed to be a legitimate gripe he usually said "Call me, here's my number and when I'll be there."
2   Oly's products always seemed first rate.  I examined many of their rifles for close to a year at local shows, and compared them to the ABC's rifles.  (this does not apply to their FAL rifle, which seemed to have a poor fit/finish)
3  The price was what I was willing to pay.

I bought my Oly due in large part to their forum here.  

I will buy another if their quality remains.

Regards, Pepper
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top